Delivery Timescales

New 1.5 SE tech ordered on 19th Jan. Just been told build week 10 (w/c 5 Mar) with delivery a month or so later.

This is a fair bit quicker than I was preparing for after reading this thread, so I'll need to look at finances to whether I can afford to sell my current Octy two payments, or £500, early. It's on 0% so no advantage to settling before the end of the term.

2 minutes ago, just music said:

New 1.5 SE tech ordered on 19th Jan. Just been told build week 10 (w/c 5 Mar) with delivery a month or so later.

This is a fair bit quicker than I was preparing for after reading this thread, so I'll need to look at finances to whether I can afford to sell my current Octy two payments, or £500, early. It's on 0% so no advantage to settling before the end of the term.

That is quick!  Let's hope it's accurate.  Did they say it was at status 20, build locked?

22 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

That is quick!  Let's hope it's accurate.  Did they say it was at status 20, build locked?

No, I wasn't given that info. At what point is the build week normally locked in? In any case, I won't be devastated if it slips a bit! 

4 minutes ago, just music said:

No, I wasn't given that info. At what point is the build week normally locked in? In any case, I won't be devastated if it slips a bit! 

My understanding is that this normally happens 2 weeks before the car is built so, next week if week 10 is accurate.  Fingers crossed for you!

Spoke to the dealer that's handling my order to talk about collection now it's been built and they sprang a little surprise, they don't offer collection of new cars at the weekend.  It's not just me is it, that's a bit odd?  The word 'offer' kind of threw me as well, like them allowing me to collect a car is somehow a service?

Edited by jtalep

14 minutes ago, jtalep said:

Spoke to the dealer that's handling my order to talk about collection now it's been built and they sprang a little surprise, they don't offer collection of new cars at the weekend.  It's not just me is it, that's a bit odd?  The word 'offer' kind of threw me as well, like them allowing me to collect a car is somehow a service?

Weekends are selling days according to most sales managers. Not for spending hours on a handover.

46 minutes ago, jtalep said:

I think that's a bit odd too! Most people are at work Monday to Friday so the weekend is their only option.  I wouldn't ever pick a new car up in the dark, as it is now still from around 5:30pm.  I would always want to give the car a good check over to make sure there's no scratches, scrapes or dents before accepting the car.  the daylight at weekends would allow this.

To me, the dealer is saying now you've ordered I don't give a monkey's.  Offer indeed!  I would tell them when I picked up the car that I won't be offering them my future business.  Bleeping cheeky bleeps!!!

38 minutes ago, Famous_Afro_Jay said:

Weekends are selling days according to most sales managers. Not for spending hours on a handover.

With supposedly declining sales, anything that ticks customers off should be avoided surely? The last thing I want is spending hours at the dealers when I collect a car too.  I want to be off and driving it asap.  Let me check the car over (by myself is good) and give me the paperwork to sign.  Job done.

16 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

With supposedly declining sales, anything that ticks customers off should be avoided surely? The last thing I want is spending hours at the dealers when I collect a car too.  I want to be off and driving it asap.  Let me check the car over (by myself is good) and give me the paperwork to sign.  Job done.

I agree with you but most experienced sales managers don't. It's an industry wide thing and don't forget Skoda are on the up, as are the VW group in general. I offer handovers on a Saturday morning only at 8am and you only get an hour. By the time the px is taken in and the finance docs explained and signed it leaves very little time to go over the car. 

If there is no px and a cash sale and you are coming from the same car but an older model then you can be in and out in 20 mins but in prestige we have a few extra boxes to tick.

8 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

I hear what you're saying, Jay.  It's all a numbers game with little time for the personal touch, unfortunately.

Agreed, I got into the industry to help people. It does my head in that management only see numbers and not people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, just music said:

Hmm, they must be rushing em out at the moment...

We ordered our 1.5 TSi SEL Octy on the 1st Feb.

just been given build week 10 as well, with delivery around the end of March, which is a pain for a number of reasons.

the original (expected) delivery date was the end of April.

We are away in France at the end of March and were going to use the month after our return to swap our Personel plate and sell the vehicle before picking up the new one.

Now we will have hardly any time to switch the plates let alone sell it!

1 hour ago, vegit8 said:

Hmm, they must be rushing em out at the moment...

We ordered our 1.5 TSi SEL Octy on the 1st Feb.

just been given build week 10 as well, with delivery around the end of March, which is a pain for a number of reasons.

the original (expected) delivery date was the end of April.

We are away in France at the end of March and were going to use the month after our return to swap our Personel plate and sell the vehicle before picking up the new one.

Now we will have hardly any time to switch the plates let alone sell it!

Could you not ask the dealer to keep the car until the original date?  We are expected just to wait when a car is delayed so I don't think it's unacceptable to ask the dealer to work with the agreed timescale. Worth a shot?

2 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

Could you not ask the dealer to keep the car until the original date?  We are expected just to wait when a car is delayed so I don't think it's unacceptable to ask the dealer to work with the agreed timescale. Worth a shot?

ha... they are not inclined to do that, they have to pay for the car when its delivered to them. Once i know the exact hand over date I'll see how it fits in with my requirements..

1 hour ago, Robbijay said:

Can’t the dealer do it for you? Else the new car will get registered twice?

If I want to sell the car privately I have to get the correct year plates to replace my personal ones. I then give those and the paperwork to the dealer who registers it from new - but with my plates. Which have 08 (for octavia) as the index number. Caused the dealer all manner of problems when I rang up with problems (with the current car) that needed looking at under warranty as they assumed 08 is its actual year of first reg.... :)

20 hours ago, jtalep said:

Same here - finally spoke to the dealer today (in their defence the salesman who handled our order has left and it sounds like we got a bit lost in the handover). They'd assumed we'd be waiting for the new reg, so I asked if we could book in for Saturday 3 March to pick up. He was a bit reticent and said they don't do handovers at the weekend because they're so busy, but said we could so long as we got there first thing, so 2 weeks tomorrow we'll have our new chariot!

3 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

Same here - finally spoke to the dealer today (in their defence the salesman who handled our order has left and it sounds like we got a bit lost in the handover). They'd assumed we'd be waiting for the new reg, so I asked if we could book in for Saturday 3 March to pick up. He was a bit reticent and said they don't do handovers at the weekend because they're so busy, but said we could so long as we got there first thing, so 2 weeks tomorrow we'll have our new chariot!

Nice to hear of a bit of flexibility from a dealer.  I think it's reasonable to say we only do handovers early doors on a weekend, we don't do them at all is not.

Hopefully the two weeks will fly by.  Let us know how you get on!

1 minute ago, peterhardy said:

Nice to hear of a bit of flexibility from a dealer.  I think it's reasonable to say we only do handovers early doors on a weekend, we don't do them at all is not.

Hopefully the two weeks will fly by.  Let us know how you get on!

Maybe he felt guilty that I had to be the one to call to say it had arrived, particularly after I told him I'd not heard from them since November!

All we've got to do now is hunt through the various piles of paper around the house to try to find all the service paperwork for the Roomster - good thing we've got a couple of weeks :blush:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

27 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

Lucky thing! 

I've been arguing most of the day with mine, they're not budging. They said the team that deal with handovers aren't in at the weekend, and regular staff can't do the handover because they don't have the relevant training. 

They said the handover involves showing me 'how the car works'. By this point I was growing rather annoyed and responded quite flippantly by saying I assume it works pretty much the same as every other car I've owned.

They're being so difficult, I assume it's because it was ordered through a leasing broker so I'm not a 'proper' customer.  

They've also said I can only collect upto 17:00 even though they're open until 19:00.

The leasing broker are towing the same line as the dealer, 'it's their policy'.  So not much I can do, keen not to kick up too much of a fuss incase they decide to bump be down the queue, not that I'm suggesting such behaviour goes on, but if they have a lot of cars come in at the same time...

Pretty frustrating all in all. 

Edited by jtalep

Sounds like a dealer and broker to avoid in the future.  TBH, I think that's the only way to get any satisfaction.  If everybody did that then things might change.

Once you've got the car, I would put a strongly worded complaint into the Dealer Principal and copy Skoda in.  I certainly wouldn't take the car there for servicing, even if I had to travel miles to another dealer, but that's me!

I hope you can find some middle ground somewhere. :sadsmile:

As it's being leased, can't they deliver it to you directly? That's the default on my new car as it's from a dealer 100 miles away. They send all cars from their central preparation point. 

Although, as they have another branch nearby (albeit not a Skoda dealership), I'm hoping I can pick up from there. 

41 minutes ago, just music said:

As it's being leased, can't they deliver it to you directly? That's the default on my new car as it's from a dealer 100 miles away. They send all cars from their central preparation point. 

Although, as they have another branch nearby (albeit not a Skoda dealership), I'm hoping I can pick up from there. 

They can, but they will only deliver Monday to Friday to the address listed on my finance application - so not to my work.

I'm hesitant because when my current car was delivered it was damaged, so I thought it would be better to collect this time, not to mention not having to take any time off work.

It is what it is, trying to not get too stressed out about it.  I'm just waiting for it to arrive at the dealership and then I'll try and work out how I'm going to collect it!  They say 12th March but I'm hoping that's just them trying to manage my expectations, I'm hoping to collect on 9th...that's not too ambitious given it's on route to Emden is it?  Or maybe it is?  Who knows!  The timeframe of when it leaves the factory to arriving at the dealer seems a bit like pot luck from what I've read on here!

1 hour ago, jtalep said:

Lucky thing! 

I've been arguing most of the day with mine, they're not budging. They said the team that deal with handovers aren't in at the weekend, and regular staff can't do the handover because they don't have the relevant training. 

They said the handover involves showing me 'how the car works'. By this point I was growing rather annoyed and responded quite flippantly by saying I assume it works pretty much the same as every other car I've owned.

Why the hell do they need training to hand over the car?! The salesman I dealt with from the start handed mine over on the Saturday that I said I’d pick it up! I also explicitly said that it had to be at the detailers by 10 and I knew how to drive car so didn’t need to be shown and he was completely fine with that!

Sounds like your dealer needs to be reminded who the customer is and who pays their salary. I’d point out you have to go to work during the week to pay them for the bloody car!

we must’ve been extremely lucky with our dealer!

• Like 1