Delivery Timescales

One thing I have heard (from a friend that works at a dealer, but another brand) is that sometimes they don’t process the customer order straight away.  They have been known to put them in a drawer and process them at beginning of following month.  Allegedly it happens when dealer had already reached quantity target for that month.

Dont know if this is true, but no harm in asking your dealer for a copy of the order acknowledgment by Skoda and then quietly checking the date to check they did process it same day you paid deposit.   Maybe popping in and sitting at salesman’s desk until he calls it up will be sensible.  If he cannot find the order quickly then I would be very suspicious that it’s actually booked and confirmed.

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

One thing I have heard (from a friend that works at a dealer, but another brand) is that sometimes they don’t process the customer order straight away.  They have been known to put them in a drawer and process them at beginning of following month.  Allegedly it happens when dealer had already reached quantity target for that month.

Dont know if this is true, but no harm in asking your dealer for a copy of the order acknowledgment by Skoda and then quietly checking the date to check they did process it same day you paid deposit.   Maybe popping in and sitting at salesman’s desk until he calls it up will be sensible.  If he cannot find the order quickly then I would be very suspicious that it’s actually booked and confirmed.

This is interesting and something I hadn't considered.  It might well explain some of the delays.

2 hours ago, peterhardy said:

This is interesting and something I hadn't considered.  It might well explain some of the delays.

I have asked my dealer for an 8 digit Skoda order number, however, they have conveniently avoided/ignored that part of the question so I am yet to receive it...

1 hour ago, Remis said:

I have asked my dealer for an 8 digit Skoda order number, however, they have conveniently avoided/ignored that part of the question so I am yet to receive it...

That doesn't look promising, does it? :sad:

On 2/25/2018 at 10:08, SurreyJohn said:

Might be worth checking with dealer which engine you will be getting as the 1.5 is changing about June (gaining a gasoline particulate filter).  The old 1.4 is discontinued (across group, think it is by week 26), so engine production changes affect cars built May-July

I suspect that's also why they're not taking any more orders for petrol vRS cars, probably an engine change coming for them too.

2 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

I suspect that's also why they're not taking any more orders for petrol vRS cars, probably an engine change coming for them too.

Yes, it said in that Geneva link that they're adding GPFs. Glad I got one before seeing as how they (the diesel ones at least) strangle performance and economy at the same time, not to mentions a massive cost a few years down the line!

1 hour ago, Wet Kipper said:

The GPF isn't really an engine change as such.  More a change to the exhaust and software/wiring loom. I would not expect a massive disruption in production for it.  I'm pretty certain this is not behind the hiatus in (UK) ordering for petrol VRSs.  If so they stopped taking orders for the 245 about seven months before the planned  MY19 addition of a GPF.

My car is now on route to the dealership having left Grimsby today!

Despite the dealership and leasing broker saying they would 'update me as soon as any movement happened' I've been the one updating them throughout the whole process.  Thank goodness for the Skoda live chat team, they've been more useful than anyone.

Even though it's on the way to the dealership, the dealership still won't entertain my request to collect it a week today. 'Once it has arrived on-site and completed PDI, we will then see if the required date can be achieved'...they don't half know how to vex me with the way they word things.

Even a 'it's looking good but of course we can't confirm 100% until next week' would have been a friendlier response, at least it's positive like they're trying.  What they basically said was, 'we don't care when you want it by, you can have when we're ready to give it you'. 

Finally!

Updating seems to fall by the wayside for most, unfortunately.  Taking that few minutes every other week, building a relationship and possibly further sales down the line seems too much trouble.  A very short sighted view but seems to be the norm now.

Your dealership sounds like they could do with some customer facing skills.  As you say, if they said "We'll do our best to make it happen" then you would be happy. No handover possible at the weekend and being jerked around about a collection a week away when your car is on the way to the dealers is rediculous.  You're doing well to be so restrained!!

8 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

You're doing well to be so restrained!!

Tell me about it...I figure I'll wait until I have the keys before complaining!

They'll just have to cope with me being passive aggressive until then haha

• Haha 1

Good news!  My car has arrived at the retailer according to Skoda!

Bad news, the retailer is playing fast and loose with the truth, telling the leasing company that it hasn't yet 'landed' with them and the leasing company have gone to the default excuse of blaming the weather for it not arriving...even though it's arrived!

Not going to lie, patience wearing very very thin, to the point that if they turn around and say I can't collect it on Friday I'm going to tell them that as I'm still within the 14 day cooling off period with the finance company that they can stuff the order and cancel it all off.  Do you think that might set the cat amongst the pigeons?   Obviously it's the nuclear option, but I feel like it's the only thing that would set a fire under them.

If you are sure the car is there I would ring the Dealer Principal and ask him what the issue is. I would be down there looking for the car, personally!

There's no reason why the car can't be ready for Friday if it's there now. I wouldn't lose the car after a long wait but I would definitely give them a load of grief, as long as Skoda chat are correct.

Good luck!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peterhardy said:

If you are sure the car is there I would ring the Dealer Principal and ask him what the issue is. I would be down there looking for the car, personally!

There's no reason why the car can't be ready for Friday if it's there now. I wouldn't lose the car after a long wait but I would definitely give them a load of grief, as long as Skoda chat are correct.

Good luck!

Thanks!  No I don't intend on losing it...I just might have to make them think I'm prepared to!

I've already told the leasing company I intend to raise a complaint, but as it was after 17:30 I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what the next excuse will be!

But no, logically I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be ready on Friday, surely they knew what day the transporter was due on site anyway?  I assume they don't just turn up out of the blue?

Ah well, we shall see!

1 hour ago, jtalep said:

Thanks!  No I don't intend on losing it...I just might have to make them think I'm prepared to!

Ah, gotcha!  Nothing to lose by trying, is there :biggrin:.

1 hour ago, jtalep said:

But no, logically I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be ready on Friday, surely they knew what day the transporter was due on site anyway?  I assume they don't just turn up out of the blue?

Mine arrived at the dealers on the Monday and I collected it on the Wednesday morning.  Your dealer has twice as long to get yours PDI'd.  I agree that they must know when the transporter will be arriving and the details of the vehicles on it.  You would think that they would be keen to get the car out and get paid!!

Fingers crossed you get this mess sorted :blink:.

• Thanks 1

So collection is all confirmed for tomorrow!  And I didn't have to resort to any extreme measures, the moment I mentioned the word 'complaint' it's amazing how quickly they got their act together.

Can't believe how quickly the time has gone since I ordered!  I've seen a couple of people do it, and it was actually really helpful in giving me a better of idea of a timeframe, so below are all the key dates throughout my build:

Ordered: 24/11/17
(+82 days)
Built: 14/02/18
(+3 days)
Arrived at Emden: 17/02/18
(+8 days)
Left Emden (onboard Weser Highway): 25/02/18
(+1 day)
Arrived at Grimsby: 26/02/18
(+4 days)
Left Grimsby port: 02/03/18
(+3 days)
Arrived at dealers: 05/03/18
(+4 days)
Collection: 09/03/18

Order to collection: 105 days (15 weeks)
Original unconfirmed build week: 17
Final confirmed build week: 7

Thanks to the info on this thread, I was able to predict when my car was going to be ready which was really useful!  I'd penciled in 9th March back in January and even though it was a little tight in the end, I was still able to predict it with a greater level of accuracy than both the leasing broker and the dealership!  Up until mid-Feb they were both still telling me to expect it at the end of March, they thought I was a bit nuts when I suggested the 9th but I knew it was a real possibility given other peoples experiences on here.

Now for the difficult bit...what to name it!

• Like 1

That's great news!  I'm really pleased that this is sorted and you're getting your car finally.  Here's hoping for good weather for you tomorrow!  Your order process timeline is very useful too.  As you say, it should help others in their tracking and delivery estimates.

Name... You're on your own there :biggrin:.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow with your first drive in the new car!

• Like 1

Our Octavia VRS 230 estate was ordered on the 12/12/2017.

Built sometime in week 4

Waiting at Emden Week 6

Delivered to dealer week 8

Collection by us on Saturday 10/03/2018 @ 1400 hours.

Roughly 3 calender months from order to delivery to customer 

Enjoy yours it also, as I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy ours.

Best wishes, Dave W (Kidderminster)

• Like 1

She's here! 

Still getting to grips with it, done a few little bits and pieces this afternoon.  A couple of nice surprises, mainly that it came with LED rear number plate lights!  And I thought from reading other posts that you had to get the Canton system to have a speaker in the middle of the dash, turns out not. 

IMG_20180309_175939_442.jpg

19 hours ago, Rolfman2000 said:

Our Octavia VRS 230 estate was ordered on the 12/12/2017.

Built sometime in week 4

Waiting at Emden Week 6

Delivered to dealer week 8

Collection by us on Saturday 10/03/2018 @ 1400 hours.

Roughly 3 calender months from order to delivery to customer 

Enjoy yours it also, as I'm sure I'm gonna enjoy ours.

Best wishes, Dave W (Kidderminster)

So some dealers will do Saturday handovers! :biggrin:

3 months is good going too! Enjoy :)