Dealership decals

ywyetinym

Totally forgot to ask the dealership not to put the advertising badges on my new car so sadly they are on there, removed the rear screen decal warmed with hairdryer peeled slowly minimum residue easy removal.

Question Is how well stuck on will the black plastic piece with dealer details be on lower edge of the number plates.

Anyone had any experience of removing these?

Why do dealerships do this without consulting the buyer presume they are getting away with It more often than not so It okay for a bit of free advertising.

Maybe I should go back and ask them to remove them for me.

^^^ Do that, just ask them nicely.

What was the tyre pressures at when you got the car, all equal and at a safe pressure?

Did the Dealership remember to have them set safely at the PDI?

Edited by Awayoffski

I may be completely up the wall here,  but I seem to remember that is is now a legal requirement for number plates to display details of the supplying dealer.  Ready to be shot down in flames.....  See quote below from gov.uk

"The British Standard

The British Standard sets out the physical characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. The British Standard also requires each number plate to be permanently and legibly marked with the following information:-

1. The British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
2. The name, trade mark or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component supplier

3. Name and postcode of the supplying outlet "

Edited by Zarniwoop

These details are as you say laminated into the actual number plate in fairly small lettering thats ok not a problem.

Below the actual plate Is a strip of black plastic with a lip that fits on the under edge of the actual plate and i presume is glued In place this serves no purpose other than to advertise the dealership In question so can be removed quite legally.I was just wondering how easy this piece Is to remove will the glue melt with a little heat form a hair dryer?

Edited by ywyetinym

35 minutes ago, ywyetinym said:

Below the actual plate Is a strip of black plastic with a lip that fits on the under edge of the actual plate and i presume is glued In place this serves no purpose other than to advertise the dealership

On my old car they were just stuck to the bottom back of the plate and just fell off.
On new car they are part of the number plate but I suspect with a jigsaw with a fine blade they could be cut off and smoothed down.
That would still leave the number plate manufacturer, postcode and BS number on the bottom border of the plate.

I attach the number plate to my motorcycle with strong self adhesive Velcro so there are no plastic bolts showing.

1 hour ago, Urrell said:

On my old car they were just stuck to the bottom back of the plate and just fell off.
On new car they are part of the number plate but I suspect with a jigsaw with a fine blade they could be cut off and smoothed down.
That would still leave the number plate manufacturer, postcode and BS number on the bottom border of the plate.

I attach the number plate to my motorcycle with strong self adhesive Velcro so there are no plastic bolts showing.

Mine are just stuck on I am tempted to ask the dealer to remove them as i did not ask or give permission for them to be fitted.

Or remove the plates and warm the plastic lip with a hair dryer to affect a  removal.

Although It would be nice Urrell If like yours they just fall off but i bet they used gorrilla glue so maybe they are well stuck.

Edited by ywyetinym

On my first Roomster, they were stuck on with something like 2-sided automotive foam tape.

I took the plates off, then used a length of kite string to "saw" through the foam.

On my second Roomster, they were stuck on with something like 2-sided carpet tape.

I took the plates off, then used lighter fluid (petrol) to soften the adhesive before slowly pulling apart from one end.

When I bought my Yeti, I refused to shake hands on the deal until my dealer agreed not to put HIS stickers/decals on MY car!

This is an absolute pet hate of mine. You spend a fortune with them and they have the audacity to think you will be prepared to give them some free advertising for the privilege. I've even had a cheeky dealer put one of their window stickers on when servicing a car! I only noticed in my mirror after leaving... safe to say I never went back to them.

The plate maker In this case the dealer needs to add their name and postcode this is laminated into the actual number plate.

In a lot of cases mine being an example the dealer will add a secondary piece of plastic along the bottom edge of the plate also with their details as a means of free advertising for their business.

17 minutes ago, sandman said:

I think it is a legal requirement to display the dealers details on the plates,why not get some reflective tape and cover over the top?

Hi Sandman and welcome to Briskoda.

As Ywyetinym has posted above, the dealer details laminated into the number plate are not the issue.  It's the ugly, black plastic (usually) decal the dealer adds below the number plate that OP wishes to remove.

• Like 1

One of my pet hates. During initial handover, I always offer to keep their advertising on the car provided we can agree a monthly figure for them to pay to me. After the silly smile it raises, I then get the salesman doing the handover to remove all the stickers on the windows. If any damage is done it's then down to them.

My heated rear window failed a few months ago.  The dealer said it was because their advertising sticker had been removed, causing a few of the elements to break although one or two of them were nowhere the sticker.  They did replace the rear window at their expense.  However, I object to having stickers of any kind on my car.  As others have said, it is free advertising.  I need to remember to tell the dealer not to fit any stickers to my next car whenever that is.

Hi Robjon,thanks for the welcome,I also have the (ugly) black plastic free dealer advert on my number plates and it looks like in my case they have used double sided sticky tape to fit them so shouldn't be too much hassle to remove, I think it may be a good idea to remove the plates and apply heat with a hairdryer from the back of the plates.I easily removed the dealer sticker from the rear window by simply pealing it off,hadn't been on long enough to get a grip on the window.   

• Like 1

Funny how "non-enthusiast" motorists just don't care about Dealer window stickers, body decals, number plate names etc. My friends & family seem to leave them on for YEARS until they're all crinkly and illegible, so it's 'horses for courses'. 

When I ordered my Yeti four years ago I specifically asked for no stickers on the paintwork, which was fine. I peeled off the window sticker before it had time for the glue to 'set'.

I don't really care about the number plate dealer identification.......

I AM an enthusiast but don't worry  about number plate identification.

Just saying.

I prefer not to advertise where my car comes from when I am out and about simple as that really,Its nothing to do with giving the dealership free advertising really maybe its extreme but thats how i feel about It.

Just now, Llanigraham said:

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Doesn't bother me one little bit.

It depends where you live and where you park your car each to their own!

30 minutes ago, ywyetinym said:

It depends where you live and where you park your car each to their own!

What on earth has a couple of stickers got to do with where you live and park?

I really cannot see any connection. Perhaps you would like to explain? 

• Like 1

I took the dealer on out the rear window and the two in the windscreen out as well. The glass if for looking out not filling with stickers. I get the same hate when I see people with crap hanging from the rear mirror, it is distracting and hampers their view.

5 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Doesn't bother me one little bit.

I respect your opinion, Graham.

My Roomsters came with dealer number plate surrounds/tags, dealer badges on tailgates and dealer stickers in the rear windows, all of which in my opinion looked cheap and tacky.  It was the perceived tackiness of these items (rather than the dealer advertising) that caused me to want to remove them.

5 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

What on earth has a couple of stickers got to do with where you live and park?

I really cannot see any connection. Perhaps you would like to explain? 

Oh to live your sheltered life, Graham! 

There are certain parts of the country (including the Mainland) where certain colours and postcodes are not tolerated. 

Coming back from a four week road trip some years ago, I had a brain Fart and wore a green Cotton Trader rugby jersey. It didn't signify Ireland or Celtic. It was green. 

Filled  up at a petrol station a few miles away from where I live and soon became aware of people watching me. The exact words uttered by one of them was;

"Check out that f*****g Fenian **** wearing the f*****g green tap (top)!" 

Fortunately I managed to fill up and pay before them. 

There are many more similar incidents I can regale  you with, especially at this time of year! 

Edited by Guest

How presumptuous! Is that just because I now live in the middle of Wales?

We are talking about small insignificant stickers, mostly on the rear of cars, not wearing the wrong colour shirt in the wrong area.