Road and brake noise 2017 model

8 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I'm an MOT tester by trade so i do see a fair few, it is independant as is golf MK7 on which the OCty share's it's mechanical's with, both are built on the MQB platform.

So what's the big iron girder called joining the rear wheels together on the non Vrs models?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, David69Rapid said:

Thanks for sharing. It shows there must be something not right with mine. When I get the increased road noise and then use the brakes the noise increases. On a smooth road brakes are quieter

I hope to get it sorted next week with Skoda. 

I really like the car the racing blue metalic but this noise is p****g me off.

David, does also take a few hundred if not maybe a 1000 for the tyres to wear in and the car generally bed in.

Mine was noisier from new, then seemed to settle down. Mine has Michelin energy savers 16".

As far as I'm aware from following this forum over the last few years, virtually all mk 3 Octavia's excepting VRS models have torsion beam suspension, which was a downgrade from the mk 2 model. The Octavia 1.6Td Estate that I recently handed back was a comfortable enough car but had terrible suspension and was very lumpy/ bumpy on anything other than near perfect motorway/ dual carriageways, a definite step backwards from the Ford Mondeo estate car which I had before that. The Yeti by comparison is far more comfortable for normal town driving than the Octavia and is surprisingly quiet on motorways too. You should try driving over speed bumps in a Yeti then try the same in a mk 3 Octavia, I couldn't believe the difference when I test drove the Yeti, what would have been major crash, bang, wallop in the Octavia was just a mild bump in the Yeti. With better suspension the Octavia could have been so much better, that's one aspect of my Octavia that I don't miss at all!

1 hour ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I'm an MOT tester by trade so i do see a fair few, it is independant as is golf MK7 on which the OCty share's it's mechanical's with, both are built on the MQB platform.

Ahem...cough. MOT tester or not, only certain versions including vRS have IRS.

www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/1311/new-skoda-octavias-multiple-rear-ends

You do look under the car when testing don't you? :tongueout:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, glosrich said:

David, does also take a few hundred if not maybe a 1000 for the tyres to wear in and the car generally bed in.

Mine was noisier from new, then seemed to settle down. Mine has Michelin energy savers 16".

I've done 1100 miles no difference yet

Someone in the factory in Mladec is going to be in big trouble when the boss finds out the assembly line has been fitting independent rear suspension to the vehicles that Julian's been looking at. 

Edited by Warrior193
typo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, glosrich said:

So what's the big iron girder called joining the rear wheels together on the non Vrs models?

Its torsion beam, only the vrs and 4x4 have irs suspension.

The a3 and golf use irs on most models.

Edited by Alpha2110

Also I dont think the torsion beam is the reason for the noise, i have owend cars with torsion beam and they have not had as much noise. I see the pros for irs such as handling and ride, but the noise is mostly related to the thiner high tensile steel used in the body of the car.

On 02/07/2017 at 22:24, Alpha2110 said:

Also check for transport blocks in the suspension, and make sure the tyres dont have delivary presures in, mine did, it rode like a steam roller. 

Are transport blocks visable to the eye?

Just now, David69Rapid said:

Are transport blocks visable to the eye?

No, there located in the damper boot. There plastic blocks that are a c shape to lock out the suspension when the vehicle is on a transporter. There usualy pink ish colour and somtimes blue. If you cant get your hand in to lift the boot up, jack the front up and lift the boot up. There should just be the shiny steel dammper rod, not plastic blocks.

3 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

Didn't the 1.8tsi 2wd get IRS as well.

All other models have beam at the rear.

I do not consider my 2016 model Octavia Combi 1.4TSI SE to be loud or irritating in any way. My car has the standard Michelin Energy tyres. I have done many long runs in comfort and with acceptable  noise. Yes, I can hear some wind and some road noise. I have had many cars over the past 45 years including a recent Octavia and eight from the VW group to compare with.

Others will disagree. I suggest anyone has a test drive on known road surfaces and at the speeds you wish to travel at, like I did.B)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alpha2110 said:

That was directed at Ju1ian1001 the MoT tester who knows all about Octavia 3 suspension...lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gregoir said:

I do not consider my 2016 model Octavia Combi 1.4TSI SE to be loud or irritating in any way. My car has the standard Michelin Energy tyres. I have done many long runs in comfort and with acceptable  noise. Yes, I can hear some wind and some road noise. I have had many cars over the past 45 years including a recent Octavia and eight from the VW group to compare with.

Others will disagree. I suggest anyone has a test drive on known road surfaces and at the speeds you wish to travel at, like I did.B)

With respect though, how is your hearing? 

My Dad is 75, he thinks every car is quiet, as he's going deaf.

Literally, I have 25% age related hearing loss. But my younger passengers have also said that it is smooth and quiet. But is a physical and mental health MOT necessary to contribute to a forum?:wondering:

• Like 1

Alas the lower models are torsion beam, it is a fair few VRS's we see, but in the last couple of days i have tested lower trim models with torsion beam. i do apoligise. I have to the tyre's fitted and size of rims make huge difference to sound and ride though.

I've had 2 O3's, both with torsion beam and both with the wide 18" alloys.

The first one had some crappy Dunlop tyres on that were horrendously noisy.

The second had Bridgestones on, still noisy but not quite as bad (this was an estate).

When I put my 16" winter rubber on (Continental) they were both significantly quieter, until you got to some of that horrible concrete motorway then the noise came back.

19 hours ago, gregoir said:

Literally, I have 25% age related hearing loss. But my younger passengers have also said that it is smooth and quiet. But is a physical and mental health MOT necessary to contribute to a forum?:wondering:

No offence intended, sorry.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 22:19, Alpha2110 said:

Goodyear efficient grip get good reviews for noise. I would by them but am loathed to get rid of tyres with tread. The continental ecos have still 5mm on and i have done 18k, the things wont wear out.

My Rapid came factory fitted with Conti Eco5 tyres and although they weren't the best for grip they're far better for economy than the Goodyear efficientgrip tyres I fitted. The goodyears are slightly louder and the economy isn't the best but the grip is phenomenal

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 21:34, andyvee said:

Didn't the 1.8tsi 2wd get IRS as well.

Yes...

...as it exceeds the 150PS threshold for getting IRS on Mk3 Octavias.

• Like 1

I have a new vrs, as in 100 miles old-new, and I find the cabin noise depends very much on road surface. On some roads I cant hear hear a thing from it, but on others it really seems to resonate through the cabin. It's far more polarising than both my older a 4's are/ were. Im sure tyres are playing a big part in it, but I'm not about to change them. My tyres are Bridgestone potenza from factory. I wish they'd find a nice tyre and just stick with it, instead of having a tyre lottery on a new car. 

For me, the noise is a negative, but the other positives far outweigh it. I dislike the fake exhaust noise far more, although it does hide the cabin noise ha! 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've had this car 6 weeks tomorrow and after a trip to Devon done 2000 miles in total. The road noise is still noticable and the brakes are not quiet. The brake noise is the same as the road noise but increases with breaking. More noticable on rough road types.

2 weeks ago I changed the tyres to Michelin CrossClimate. At first there was an improvement but as the days went by it just seems the same as before.

Our 2nd car is a 10 yr old Nissan note and to be honest is quieter than the Octavia's road noise.

Going to meet the dealer next week to see if there can resolve this issue. Skoda UK complaints have advised me to get back to them if im not happy.

My concern is that the technitions may say this is normal and the charactor of the car.

My trade in 2013 Rapid was much more refined. I test drove a Diesal estate as opposed to the petrol hatch I bought. Whether that will help fight my corner I dont know.

But if there is no fix this I want a different vehicle (Rapid) or my deposit back.

Will keep you informed

Must be tyres. Insulation of Octavia isn't top, but majority of noise actually comes from tires. We have very good experience on company cars with GY Efficient grip. 

My car has on 18" winter GY Gen-1, and this tyre is virtually non existing how silent and comfortable it is. On 19" summer set are factory fitted P-Zeros, and they are very noisy. Anyway, I have accepted that UHP is not likely to be very silent. Goodyears are good compromise of road noise, grip and price. 

I suggest you put these on sale and buy most silent tires in your dimension, read all tests for 2017 on the internet - in case dealer confirms nothing wrong with your car.

I don't think anyone has suggested this yet - have you tried getting a your wheel alignment checked?  Incorrect camber in particular might cause some extra road noise.  Unlikely to be wrong straight from the factory though.