900000 now lives on a new car

I haven't posted much recently (since I lived in Istanbul for 18 months and after that unexpectedly in Dubai for 9 more!). 

But I'm back and the Yeti was changed today. :( So no more Yeti. I needed a heavier car to tow a heavier caravan. And I was also sick of four cylinder engines. So got myself a VW Touareg 3,0 TDI R-Line.

Awesome car. But four things I'll miss from the Yeti. The minuscule turning circle (I had to do a three point turn in the Touareg at the end of my dead end street I live on, when the Yeti did it in one!). The Touareg also has hydraulic steering so there is no Park Assist. The Yeti is also much, much narrower and fits London streets better than the Touareg. The last is the Yeti's fuel consumption. Mine always drank like a fish (my average is 32 or so) but it gave me 49,0 mpg on its last trip today where the Touareg on the same trip back gave me 31,6 mpg! But I don't drive much and don't commute in it so the fuel consumption doesn't bother me much. 

IMG_0615.thumb.JPG.8c5c04706ee0eae93843926348732b5f.JPG

IMG_0621.thumb.JPG.eb293f6b17f3e297736609712c0a3072.JPG

IMG_0624.thumb.JPG.3259d82c45e873a355c4b8dce7811bd5.JPG

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Yep, welcome back, The silly ones are still here, me Included

You speak for yourself....! Oh you are doing!

Welcome back, Johann. Touareg will keep you going until you get a Kodiaq or Karoq....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aerofurb said:

You speak for yourself....! Oh you are doing!

Welcome back, Johann. Touareg will keep you going until you get a Kodiaq or Karoq....

Ha. I like the Kodiaq and saw a few yesterday but over my dead body will you see me in something as hideously looking as a Carrot. I mean really who wants to say aloud "oh I drive a Škoda Carrot"?! 

• Like 1

You have been missed. 

Mine is coming up 5 years old now so I guess I might jump ship next year

The Koral appeals, Touareg is nice but too big for me. 

Driving up to the supplying dealer in Blackburn I counted Yetis, Touaregs and Discoveries (3 and 4). Counted 39 Yetis, 14 Touaregs and 49 Discos! And I though the Yeti was scarce!!! By the end of the day I had counted 55 Yetis (and had stopped counting the others as my head hurt keeping up and I was enjoying the new motor!)

Oh and the joy of having a SEPARATE stalk for the cruise control. Such a small thing but just works so much better than the strange "use the top and sides" affair of the Yeti.

But it sure is wide. Look at it in the distance here on my street. It is parked normally on the kerb side and see how much it hangs over the line!

IMG_0848.thumb.jpg.ee97d341c60839c4af50bb913651d553.jpg

• Like 1

On 07/07/2017 at 22:33, 900000 said:

IMG_0621.thumb.JPG.eb293f6b17f3e297736609712c0a3072.JPG

On 09/07/2017 at 08:46, skoda1982 said:

And 3 points on licence for stopping on zigzag lines:D

Does parking like this get you 3 points, the car is actually parked out side the Ziz Zags therefor in vehicle hasn't parked on the lines and there looks to be room for pedestrians to get passed

9 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Does parking like this get you 3 points, the car is actually parked out side the Ziz Zags therefor in vehicle hasn't parked on the lines and there looks to be room for pedestrians to get passed

Parking on the pavement is a big no-no in some parts of the country as well (especially London!)

re within the zig-zag lines of a pedestrian crossing...

A couple of years ago, SWMBO was helping with the Marie Curie street collection in the town. You know the volunteers...big yellow daffodil hats, yellow tabards etc.. I drove into town to pick her up afterwards and she was waiting by the side of the road BUT just within the zig-zags. There was no-one on the crossing, no-one waiting to cross, no cars behind me or approaching.  I stopped for no more than five seconds for her to hop in.

Just beyond the crossing, I was pulled over, asked to get out of the car, lectured to on the pavement and subsequently fined £60 and awarded 3 points. Stopping on the approach to a pedestrian crossing. His final comment to me was Have a good day, Sir. Offensive facetiousness?

This was the officer who every 20 minutes that he walked past her, called out Hello Flower and just before her two hour collection session ended had stopped and talked to her about the good work that volunteers like her carry out. Ending with a [comment removed] 

Edited by john999boy
Offensive comment removed.

Surprised about your Karoq comments given that the Toureg is of a similar profile, though somewhat bigger! And after all, whilst the Yeti is much loved it's no looker!

Nice motor and 3.0 litre - that's a proper engine! Not surprised you wanted something big after Dubai! We were out there a couple of months ago.

Totally agree about the cruise control, all my previous VWs and Audis have had separate stalks which are so much better.

Edited by VAGCF

4 hours ago, Bexhillian said:

re within the zig-zag lines of a pedestrian crossing...

A couple of years ago, SWMBO was helping with the Marie Curie street collection in the town. You know the volunteers...big yellow daffodil hats, yellow tabards etc.. I drove into town to pick her up afterwards and she was waiting by the side of the road BUT just within the zig-zags. There was no-one on the crossing, no-one waiting to cross, no cars behind me or approaching.  I stopped for no more than five seconds for her to hop in.

Just beyond the crossing, I was pulled over, asked to get out of the car, lectured to on the pavement and subsequently fined £60 and awarded 3 points. Stopping on the approach to a pedestrian crossing. His final comment to me was Have a good day, Sir. Offensive facetiousness?

This was the officer who every 20 minutes that he walked past her, called out Hello Flower and just before her two hour collection session ended had stopped and talked to her about the good work that volunteers like her carry out. Ending with a [comment removed] 

Parking on approach to a Zebra and dangerous parking are the only stationary offences which carry potential points and disqualification it is about impeding the view of moving traffic or causing moving traffic distraction or deflection of moving vehicles increasing risk to pedestrians. It doesn't matter that in johanns case there was a gap left for pedestrians to get through or whether or not his wheel touched the lines. It is to maintain visibility before and after crossings which is in fact necessary for the safety of those who use them. In your case a polite reminder may well have been the correct answer to book you was petty and mean spirited. you should have stopped outside the protected zone he should have given you a learning opportunity not a ticket

On 7/10/2017 at 22:34, VAGCF said:

Surprised about your Karoq comments given that the Toureg is of a similar profile, though somewhat bigger! And after all, whilst the Yeti is much loved it's no looker!

Nice motor and 3.0 litre - that's a proper engine! Not surprised you wanted something big after Dubai! We were out there a couple of months ago.

Totally agree about the cruise control, all my previous VWs and Audis have had separate stalks which are so much better.

Well I beg to differ that the Carrot looks remotely like a Touareg! The Carrot has the same awkward, too tall, too much metal below the glass line, too short proportions as the SEAT Ateca it is (sadly) based on.

As to cars in Dubai. Yup. I rented many Nissan Patrol 5,6 litre V8s to go into the desert, once had an Infiniti Q80 with the same engine, a Mercedes GLC250 (lovely car) and my favourite was a Mercedes GL500. 4,8 litre V8 and 0-60 in 5,3 seconds! Was also my first experience with air suspension hence wanting the same with the Touareg.

Plenty metal / paint below the glass line with a Touareg, some might say slab sided.

With the small class vehicle it is round wheel arches or squared,

pays your money maybe more for the VW and make your choices once the Skoda choice is available.

api-model-year-image.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 900000 said:

Well I beg to differ that the Carrot looks remotely like a Touareg! The Carrot has the same awkward, too tall, too much metal below the glass line, too short proportions as the SEAT Ateca it is (sadly) based on.

As to cars in Dubai. Yup. I rented many Nissan Patrol 5,6 litre V8s to go into the desert, once had an Infiniti Q80 with the same engine, a Mercedes GLC250 (lovely car) and my favourite was a Mercedes GL500. 4,8 litre V8 and 0-60 in 5,3 seconds! Was also my first experience with air suspension hence wanting the same with the Touareg.

Yes, I know what you mean about the glass/metal proportions (which is why I hate the Evoque so much) but what I was really referring to was the side profile i.e. the "jelly mould" styling as some call it and they don't like it compared to the squareness of the Yeti. I don't think it is that extreme in the Toureg/Tiguan/Karoq/Ateca etc. though and as I've said I like the design. Some of the Audis I'm not so keen on though as they have more rounded rears. In the right colour though I could live with one!

It is a very fine line between what looks right and what doesn't and for me with the Karoq it would look better if from the B pillar back they had run the glass line parallel to the bodywork crease (like with the Tiguan) which would have increased the depth of the rear passenger window, rather than going up, which along with the dropping roofline gives that narrow glass look. Not helped with the starting point of the narrow front side windows. Will have to wait and see how it looks in the metal. 

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

re my Monday 18.35 post above

Ending with a [comment removed] 

Edited Monday at 19:26 by john999boy 

I don't know what what you found offensive about the police officer's comment to my wife ....... 'See you next year'.

1 hour ago, Bexhillian said:

re my Monday 18.35 post above

Ending with a [comment removed] 

Edited Monday at 19:26 by john999boy 

I don't know what what you found offensive about the police officer's comment to my wife ....... 'See you next year'.

This is not the place to debate why I edited your post but let's just say that your memory of what was written previously isn't quite the same as what you quoted above.