Why did you buy a Yeti?

awfabia

What motivated you to buy your Yeti? Did it live upto your expectations? Does it still? If you had to replace it tomorrow in the case of a write-off or being stolen, what would you buy?

My reasons start with family Škoda satisfaction - economic to buy & run etc then comfort & good visibility of Yeti in particular, then reputation for reliability, ( AutoExpress Driver Power surveys in top five for several years gave confidence ) . As it was to be our only car it had to be flexible - the rear seats are the main example, I regularly remove, tilt or change their position. 

It lived upto our expectations in being cheap to run, insurance, mpg ( over 40 ) etc, very comfortable, not so sure on reliability. Towards the end of warranty period needed differential bearings replacing,  ( not a common complaint on Briskoda ) and front suspension shock absorbers which had "slight misting" advisory on first MOT. Replaced free of charge after much huffing and puffing - not sure if Škoda UK paid or if it was dealer goodwill gesture. Then driver's seat heater failed just after warranty expired which I had to pay for - run out of energy to huff & puff for that one.

If I had to replace "tomorrow" I would like a petrol/hybrid SUV similar in size to Yeti but no-one makes one at present. Therefore, I'd probably buy a Seat Ateca but would prefer to wait for a Škoda Karoq because of the Varioflex rear seats and "it's a Škoda!". Still in love, you see.

Mrs AW ( who has always thought it ugly! ) is not convinced, the warranty problems have aggravated her but she has no better ideas for the next car. The local Škoda dealer reception staff are great but technicians took three goes to sort out the diff bearings and a couple of niggles where I had to return after work having been carried out.

Maybe, as a lifelong motor trade person with a technical background, I'm too fussy, expect too much and understand the system but these are my thoughts on four years and 65,000 miles of Yeti ownership.

Over to you.........

IMG_20170425_092948.jpg

• Like 1

Lovely to drive and look at with no bling

Small footprint with good space inside, more so as rear seats removeable.

Economical for what it is and decent performance.

Nice tow car.

Comfortable.

Most of what you touch inside feels good.

Everything is well laid out, just where you want it.

Sensible price.

Understated and different.

A very good overall package.

Colin

• Like 1

Easy to get in/out of which was most important due to back/neck problems.

Good, comfortable driving position.

Well finished.

Fancied a change.

It fits in my garage.

Edited by longedge
  • Like 1

Nothing else really like it. Really happy when it came out that the lower powered diesel met our company car rules and I could get one. Second was a greenline as co2 rules tightened. Both elegances.

Now have obtained my own, and picked the 150 sel drive dsg which is my own choice for power and co2 is irrelevant now. One month old today and knew I was picking a car about to stop production, but I looked around and nothing else really does what the Yeti does so well, and I had always wanted a powerfull 4x4 one.

Its practical, comfortable, good turning circle, good ground clearance for off road work use even in Greeline, turns into a van when needed to move student around, can see over hedges when driving, easy to get in and out, etc,etc.

As an aside I have been trying to determine when Yeti production stopped, to see how close to the end mine was when built in mid May; anyone know?

• Thanks 1

My first was triggered by seeing it on Top gear interested me enough to have a drive. My second and third were because I still haven't found anything I'd rather drive. Comfortable, sufficient power , useful space inside and a great view out handy in town but not phased by a non stop run to Salamanca all in a package which is easy to park, reliable and not flashy in or out. Many alternatives have dash boards like old music centres or styling which is shouty. Mine is 17 reg, one of the last no clue what will follow it

Guest FurryFriend
2 hours ago, Zarniwoop said:

Most of the above,  plus the fantastic turning circle!

Just love it, absolutely. 

We bought our 1.2 DSG Drive model new in March. A superb choice. 

We knew it was being discontinued, but the shape was 100% for us, and we really dislike all the current unimaginative mass produced SUV car shapes. Jelly Moulds for the masses. 

Completely and easily removable rear seats is a major plus. £500 fuel deal, DAB and NAV included in price. 

Comfortable, cool, stylish and unbelievably economical.

Copes with 400+mile journeys effortlessly and regularly. 

Stacks of room inside and roof rails are a plus. 

Our dog loves it! Nose usually near the rear A/C vent in his travel crate. Bliss. 

No plans on replacing it yet obviously, but if I had to buy today, and there were no Yetis left, I honestly don't know. 

Current UK selection is completely abyssmal.....I'd more likely buy an older good import..... and 2nd hand. 

Edited by FurryFriend

Wanted a decently powerful TDI with decent handling, but with slightly raised height and 4wd to cater for Peak District winters :)

Yeti was the only car that ticked all boxes.

If i had to replace it now - I'm really not sure.

Most likely the Ateca 190 4wd, but would rather wait until a 2nd or 3rd MY car with niggles ironed out came into my price range.

Either that or one of the very last 170 4wd Yetis, although I personally feel they are getting a little dated now.

Edited by muddyboots

My yeti is just so versatile. Ideal all rounder. Small van when I need it to be. Comfortable drive. Practical for work. Reasonably economy. Enough power and torque for brisk driving when I feel like it. 4wd is great when accelerating in rainy and winter conditions.  Plenty of space for my needs. Removable seats. Cheap insurance. Handles remarkably well for a car of this type. As far as it's replacement is concerned, don't think there is anything. Consequently think I will be keeping mine for quite some time. Just never get bored driving it.

10 hours ago, awfabia said:

If I had to replace "tomorrow" I would like a petrol/hybrid SUV similar in size to Yeti but no-one makes one at present.

This is the dilemma I'm in. I want a combination that only appears to be available in bigger cars, and I don't really want or need bigger.

As to why I got it in the first place it was a compromise between two cars I'd wanted for years - a vRS and a LR Defender! The Top Gear piece didn't hurt its appeal either :)

The Yeti has been great, though now has soured a bit with the faulty B-pillar door seal/rusty doors issue which I'm told isn't covered by the five year extended warranty. Still waiting on the dealer to tell me if Skoda UK will pay for repairs...

The only one of the current & forthcoming Skoda line-up that appeals is the Kodiaq, but that's too big, and doesn't (yet) offer the hybrid engine I'd want if buying new again.

• Like 1

We are expecting our second child later this year so wanted something that was more practical than our old Fabia and we managed to get a good deal on a SE-L drive

Other Briskodians have said it all really. I am on my second Yeti, buying the latest in march this year - SE-L Drive 1.2 Tsi DSG. Bought it after I had looked at all the competition and found nothing to match a Yeti in terms of compact external dimensions with maximum internal dimensions. Nice to drive, comfortable and reliable. It is the first time in over 50 years of motoring that I have ever bought the same car twice. Newer model is quieter than the first (2012 1.2 Tsi DSG Elegance) and the DSG is smoother. Just a great car that unlike most new models has large side and rear windows for max visibility and light. Why has the "trend" been to the upswept body line that results in smaller rear side windows and letter-box sized rear windows? Reduces visibility out and results in dark interiors.

Edited by Expatman
  • Thanks 1

Very similar to the points raised above for me:thumbup:

I've had three of these now, the first back in 2009. I'd previously had a 1.6 Petrol Nissan Qashqai (on a very cheap PCH) and the 1.2 TSi Yeti seemed a huge step-up at the time. It drove better, felt quicker, was much quieter on the move and just was "better" in every way. I kept it for 1 year / 10K miles and traded it on for around £1K less than the initial purchase price (the benefit of a long waiting list:thumbup:) - dealt with the chap from Essex, who was a prominent member on here a few years ago.

I had a brief interlude with a 1.8 TSi Octavia 4x4 Combi, before I then moved on to a 2012 2.0 TDi (110 BHP) Urban. This lasted around 2.5 years and clocked up just short of 40K miles. It was economical (averaged >46 mpg) and. barring the zinc inclusion problems (required a respray on 2 doors) proved to be reliable. 

I'd yet to discover winter tyres and, following lots of snow, decided the next car had to be 4WD. I went for a Yei Tour de France 140 BHP 4WD, which I still own. The only issues here relate to yet more zinc inclusions (:angry:) and the EA189 emmisions update - see seperate thread. It's had a recall for the EGR valve, but has otherwise proved to be reliable, if  (predictably) a little less economical than the 110 BHP 2WD (46.2 MPG vs 41.8 MPG).

I've pondered changing my current Yeti and test drove both petrol and diesel Superb's, petrol Octavia (1.4 TSi), 190 BHP diesel Kodiak, Seat Ateca and150 BHP Yeti's (both diesel and petrol). Not entirely sure why, but the only car I felt entirely happy with was the Yeti. I did especially like the 1.4 TSi L&K, but a combination of the awful interior colour scheme and much too high purchase price (second hand) put me off. On this basis I've decided to keep my current Yeti a little longer. Now out of warranty and hoping there are no big bills to come!

There really is nothing else quite like a Yeti - I recall advising another member on here (when selling him a car) that the Yeti had a certain "indefinable something", probably character, which is, in my opinion, sadly lacking elsewere in the current range.

My Yeti's have proved to be consistently enjoyable to drive (whether 105 BHP petrol, 110 BHP diesel or 172 BHP remapped diesel), spacious, characterful and overall a pleasure to own.  Well in excess of 100K miles covered (across 3 seperate cars) and out of the many cars I've owned (>100 in total) the only time I've bought the same model 3 times.

I fully appreciate the car is somewhat dated in terms of both it's interior and in-car entertainment, but the packaging and relative space on offer, despite the short wheelbase / compact dimensions are a rare combination indeed. 

I'll try out the Karoq in due course, but can't foresee me parting with my Yeti any time soon, especially as it's value has recently taken such a hammering, courtesy of dieselgate / anti 4x4 lobby  etc.

P1090465.JPG

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Why has the "trend" been to the upswept body line that results in smaller rear side windows and letter-box sized rear windows?

Cuz it looks cool innit...

With the possible exception of the Roomster (I've had two of them) I struggle to think of any other car that does everything so well, and within such a compact package.

If I had to replace it tomorrow, I would buy another Yeti.  I love this car.

most of the above, plus my wife could get in and out of it easily, grey mk 1, even at m/way speeds when she tried, a hairy moment, she suffered psp(look it up) 2nd one also now carries my r/c model boats, dog, weekend bags, etc when me and my new partner participate in model boat competitions round and about in Brittany/pays de loire!

luv it, don't  know what the successor will be, Kodiak too big, ateca cheaply finished etc! maybe the karoq will be slightly higher finishwise!

We bought ours a 1.2 TSi DSG as a family car (2+2+dog) with a raised seat height for a disabled relative who can sit down on, then (with help) swing their legs in front of the front passenger seat. I say that because on many cars the seat is so far from the door seal that they would fall flat on their behind.

It has been a brilliant all-rounder, plenty enough performance in and out of town and spacious enough for holidays with luggage.

We will replace it in January with the new Karoq, but would certainly recommend the Yeti as a brilliant choice for families and those who want a better view of the road than from a conventional hatchback.

It's all been said above so I'll just say - I went in to buy one of the runout Octavia Mark 2's, went for a test drive in the Yeti demonstrator whilst I waited for the  Octavia demonstrator to come back and the rest is history. And it was five grand over the budget I'd set myself for the Octavia.

Four years on I've not had any regrets and if it was written off tomorrow I'd probably (almost certainly) have another.

2 hours ago, Paul52 said:

....Four years on I've not had any regrets and if it was written off tomorrow I'd probably (almost certainly) have another.

Would you try to stay with 16" wheels? 

(Note to everyone else: This is a question strictly between members of the exclusive  UK16"SpecialBuildClub :cool: )

13 hours ago, Brijo said:

(Note to everyone else: This is a question strictly between members of the exclusive  UK16"SpecialBuildClub :cool: )

I have bought two Yeti's and specified 16" wheels as original equipment build from Skoda on both.

If I were to buy one with 17" wheels, I would change the wheels to 16" -  Job done.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brijo said:

Hi Brian. I can't compare the ride with 17" wheels but I can say I'm very happy the ride on my non-standard 16" wheels. And when I had to change my tyres a while back I was even more happy with the £40 a corner I saved!! Also the Moon alloys are really easy to clean, which as I find cleaning wheels real chore is a big plus for me. My previous car had modestly low profile tyres and it was a puncture magnet. I think I've had one puncture in four years in the Yeti. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the wheel size  although there does seem to be some apparently informed opinion on the interweb to suggest low profile tyres are more prone to punctures. 

Would I have a Yeti on 17" wheels - yes if the alternative was not to have another Yeti. Would I have my wheels swapped over if I could - yes. 

• Like 1