AMD's 2 litre 304bhp 162mph Fabia Monte Carlo TDi *6 speed conversion*

AMD87

• 4 weeks later...

Wow bent rods! The upgrade sounds like it might be fun, will be good to see it at Donnington later on in the year.

19 hours ago, AMD87 said:

Email from darkside today the fabia is done!

Few changes to the car since last time. Having made the most powerful 1.6 cayc that was properly documented (having seen some of the spec lists and info from the ones in turkey it didn’t make sense they were making the claimed power so really uncharted territory.

It was abit of a monster then one day it seemed to struggle on power. Got the car back to darkside and was down on compression which we thought was a valve or a piston ring but then noticed some marks on the bore.

Darkside stripped the engine down and we discovered rods 3 and 4 were bent (tdi reliability yo). Looks as if it might have been bearing failure. Hunt started to find a replacement 1.6 block although in talking to darkside we decided to go a different route and swap in a 2 litre CR140.

As the 2 litre is effectively a stroker kit on a 1.6 and we could swap the cams over and other parts so I bought the 23k 2 litre out of the 4WD caddy van they built and we upgraded the turbo to a GTB2260VK (was offered the engine less than what a 1.6 block would cost)

Fine tuned over the weekend and it’s now 274bhp getting up to 282 on meth.

Should be good for a couple of years then will get bigger injectors and a bigger turbo again 😂

They also made me a stool from the old engine 😂

50009294138_36c2d57366_b.jpg

50009294423_7d449f5694_b.jpg

50009294473_e2557589f9_b.jpg

50010085152_21b2a3e78b_b.jpg

Was it a big job putting in a 2l? Are you still using the stock 5 speed? That is a serious leap forward in terms of power especially since a 2l might hold a better chance of taking the power reliably.

1 hour ago, DieselMonte said:

Was it a big job putting in a 2l? Are you still using the stock 5 speed? That is a serious leap forward in terms of power especially since a 2l might hold a better chance of taking the power reliably.

Still using the 5 speed as it does have an upgraded diff in it and yeah. More than I think they thought.

Wiring was the main thing that caused issues but it effectively future proofs any more upgrades I do as I can get upgraded rods etc for the 2 litre. 

21 hours ago, AMD87 said:

Still using the 5 speed as it does have an upgraded diff in it and yeah. More than I think they thought.

Wiring was the main thing that caused issues but it effectively future proofs any more upgrades I do as I can get upgraded rods etc for the 2 litre. 

So can we say that 240 or so hp is the limit for a stock bottom end? Its still impressive for a 1.6 that should only make 105 hp to go to 263 hp even if only for a while.

1 hour ago, DieselMonte said:

So can we say that 240 or so hp is the limit for a stock bottom end? Its still impressive for a 1.6 that should only make 105 hp to go to 263 hp even if only for a while.

I would say so, Bobby is 252 on meth but I have about 40k more miles on my engine plus mine got abused way more than his. Loads more track time and drag time. 

first proper mechanical issue with the engine too 😂

1 minute ago, AMD87 said:

Nah that’s us done for power just now 🤣

Gie's a go....!  😇

24 minutes ago, AMD87 said:

I’ve not even had a go yet 🤣

I'm no' pushy. I'll happily go second or third....at a push. 😆

I've just been watching their video of the black Mk1 Fabia with 400+ bhp on nitrous.  

36 minutes ago, Schtum said:

I'm no' pushy. I'll happily go second or third....at a push. 😆

I've just been watching their video of the black Mk1 Fabia with 400+ bhp on nitrous.  

They finished editing the video for this today so hopefully that will be up in the next couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

Well picked it up today and its crazy.

Took it easy to the petrol station then on the way after it was warmed up i thought coming into a NSL i would put my foot down abit in 3rd, car didnt seem to go anywhere and thought i had broke it again looked down and seen the traction control light going crazy. It was trying to spin up the wheels in 3rd at 45mph! once it gets going it really really goes and doesn't seem to want to stop.

I was worried that it would be too loud but cruising on the motorway home on the cruise control it was no louder than it was with the CR170 turbo and managed 53mpg and no smoke.

Changes that  were done.

2.0 CR140 engine

GTB2260VK Turbo

Race cams

Headbolts

CP3 Fuel Pump

Stage 2 Injectors

W/M injection

2.0 Radiator

new oil and intercoolers

50050844378_a5ec9a5628_b.jpg

50050812403_3eb2d68272_b.jpg

50051382866_44ffb75215_b.jpg

50050812193_3c3305a2a9_b.jpg

50051632992_5a29686bf9_b.jpg

50051633002_65c864dc1b_b.jpg

50050812363_1c245fc1f9_b.jpg

50051633107_d3d9291560_b.jpg

50050812403_3eb2d68272_b.jpg

50051414021_6c9bd7b137_b.jpg

50050843858_b52606ca37_b.jpg

• Haha 1

Watched  the vid and it seems like a lot of work.

When is the 6 speed going in?

Glad your happy with it, it certainly sounded a beast.

8 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Watched  the vid and it seems like a lot of work.

When is the 6 speed going in?

Glad your happy with it, it certainly sounded a beast.

Not sure I’m happy with the 5 speed but Ryan really wants me to fit a 6 speed. 

I probably would have did it if the wavetrac fitted but I would have had to buy another and I wanted to try and reuse as much parts as I could from the 1.6 build. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AMD87 said:

Not sure I’m happy with the 5 speed but Ryan really wants me to fit a 6 speed. 

I probably would have did it if the wavetrac fitted but I would have had to buy another and I wanted to try and reuse as much parts as I could from the 1.6 build. 

Some money spent on this Fabia fair play glad it’s pushed the 300bhp mark 

6 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

Looks like its in need for a good cleaning under the bonnet! I did my fabia the other night and it came up a treat. Also, i'd remove the plastic piece where the intake hose would have connected to the grille. Its just 2 torx screws and it comes off.

I’m not a fan of the clean look prefer it looking like it actually gets used 😂

12 hours ago, DieselMonte said:

Looks like its in need for a good cleaning under the bonnet! I did my fabia the other night and it came up a treat. Also, i'd remove the plastic piece where the intake hose would have connected to the grille. Its just 2 torx screws and it comes off.

Any reason why not using a bigger air intake using cold feed other than battery being in way ( which could be moved) or maybe turned sideways

Edited by Kobayashi

16 minutes ago, Kobayashi said:

Any reason why not using a bigger air intake using cold feed other than battery being in way ( which could be moved) or maybe turned sideways

To be honest i didnt notice it wasnt there till the video went up then i looked at my pictures lol ill probably just get another for the sake of £14