Android Auto is a road safety hazard

Bud

Just driven approx 250 miles in a crappy Corsa enough said about that.  But  as it didn't have a nav system I thought I would try AA and see how it works.  Well all I can say is that if that is the competition then built in systems are miles ahead in functionality, capability and safety.  

In the course of the journey roughly 5 hours the system must have tripped off 12 times, what a pile of crud.  

Can't make it's mind up what to do whether to try and connect via BT or via the USB, it kept turning the bluetooth back on even though I had selected it off in the settings.  

When it was on the volume was quite low so had to increase the volume and when it then tripped off the radio kicks in at a high volume, aaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhh.

Was not able to select tunes as required, only played one album via inbuilt display screen - what utter ****.

So what do you do stop and reset every time it goes off or just leave it and go without?  Most likely people will fiddle with it and be extremely distracted but it's ok as android have added a bull**** disclaimer.  Really is not fit for purpose and should be restricted in the same way that video displays are when the speed of the vehicle goes over a pre-set limit.

They should be simple, intuitive and functionally capable.

Deleted from my phone and never to return.

I have been using it over the past week without any issues on a Nexus 5… apart from the cartoon look, waze is the best nav I have used (by far) when compared to conventional offerings from Ford, VW and Audi. Even google maps is better IMHO. It sounds like you have a faulty/worn USB cable or phone socket that’s breaking the link. I have only tried android auto in an A4 and a Superb with a Nexus 5 though (vanilla android) so maybe it’s an issue with the Vauxhall system or an intrusive app on your phone?

i don't know wat u mean by

5 hours ago, Bud said:

Can't make it's mind up what to do whether to try and connect via BT or via the USB, it kept turning the bluetooth back on even though I had selected it off in the settings.  

either i've misread u, but you doing something wrong there.

as far as i know, you can only use andriod auto via a usb cable.

and with USB cable, if its a cheap cable, it will b crap on data transmission quality, and hence drop out a lot. 

have no issues with Google Maps, or Waze on android auto.

likewise, no issues with listening to music, or calls.

likely u need to either update andriod auto on ur phone, or a software update on ur infotainment system.

Downloaded the app yesterday before travelling.  Car not sure what std it's at but the stds of either component should not make a great difference.  If they do not work  effectively then it is a road safety hazard.

@JR RS

as far as i know, you can only use andriod auto via a usb cable.

It was wanting to connect via blue tooth for calls etc rather than just running them via the AA console, which is really quite rough and ready, drawn by Sam Jones age 8 3/4.

The cable really, it only needs to update at best every second or so for actual position comparison, once the systems are running especially music then data rates should enable buffering and continual running.

It seems that other also have problems, the fact that some work doesn't make it safe for all.  I feel it is a cheap "solution" that  is not really fit for purpose and in some cases an absolute distraction.

You need to disable media integration on BT for that device (car) if you wanna use android auto and the required usb. My Skoda works spot on with it and trump's inbuilt media/sat nav/voice integration hands down...I had the same issue with a corsa rental in Belfast but once sussed the above, works great with that too.

I've used AA for the past 3 years.  Google Maps is amazing, its saved me from many really long delays by knowing in advance that a motorway is closed due to an accident and routing me around it.  In fact I wouldn't buy a car now that doesn't have AA capability i depend on it so much!!

One thing I can add is that at least on VW group cars, you can have separate volume levels for AA and the music, so unsure if that's different in the Corsa.

The music bit of AA is poor I agree.  Apparently designed that way so you don't have to browse through things whilst driving.  So I just use the car media function and switch back forth using the media and app buttons.

Edited by Lee_M

AA is absolutely rock solid for me.  Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  I subscribe to Google play music anyway so I can basically just hold down the voice recognition button and then ask for any song or album I can think of.  4g is pretty good where I am so everything is just streamed seamlessly.  I looked on this forum and found the cable that was recommended and order this before the car was even delivered :)

I tried Waze a couple of days ago.  Has anyone else found that it can't handle voice commands?  "Navigate to such and such" results in the Android equivalent of a puzzled look.  Switching back to Google Maps rectified it immediately.

11 hours ago, Bud said:

built in systems are miles ahead in functionality, capability and safety.

completely opposite opinion -
built in system takes the last place,
Waze / GoogleMap / Here directly on the phone 5.7" screen at first place

Android Auto somewhere between, because:
1. huge limitations in functionality if compared with same app on the phone
2. stupid regional restrictions, not all countries can install AA
3. only wired connection method
4. navigation's screen position on the dashboar is lot better for driving safety than Columbus screen

I was very disillusioned with my AA, it was very haphazard; but then I changed the USB cable and it's a revelation it works so well.

My phone memory is full, does anyone know if Waze will happily run from the SD card?

I think it's the phones themselves that introduce most of the problems. Android is so fragmented across so many manufacturers, each of whom meddle and add their own skins and software that it's very hard to predict how stable or otherwise AA will be. And of course if it will work at all on your phone. 

I like Android, but it was frustrations around fragmentation and unpredictable features across different models that made me switch to iOS.

OP was using AA in a Corsa, so assume that he was using the screen on the phone. He wasn't in his Skoda. I've tried this and the experience isn't anywhere near AA on an integrated headunit (Columbus et al).

I would have just used Google Maps to navigate as I don't rate AA when used primarily on a phone screen.

I've been using AA on Columbus since I got my Superb in March 2016. I love it. The voice control over music 'ok google play xxxx' is great. Satnav with realtime traffic from Google Maps / Waze is far superior to the built in satnav.

It isn't without quirks though. For instance, if I have unread/uncleared notifications or open apps, it refuses to connect. I have to spend a few seconds closing all open apps and notifications and then it always connects first time. Don't mind this and I should do this anyway during normal use.

Also the quality of the cable makes a difference too. A cheapo usb cable will either refuse to work or will drive you mad with an intermittent connection. I got a couple of braided cables from Amazon and they've been perfect.

I would say that OP should try AA on his Skoda, he's got a Columbus unit (in L&K) and see how the experience differs.

I'm looking at the new Nissan Leaf as a second car, and I like that it also comes with Android Auto!!

R.

50 minutes ago, widu13 said:

I was very disillusioned with my AA, it was very haphazard; but then I changed the USB cable and it's a revelation it works so well.

My phone memory is full, does anyone know if Waze will happily run from the SD card?

It will. I moved most of my apps, that allow it, to SD card.

• Thanks 1

On 11/09/2017 at 11:02, r08shaw said:

OP was using AA in a Corsa, so assume that he was using the screen on the phone.

R.

AA takes over the main screen in corsa's now so you don't need the phone, rental companies are usually 1 or 2 yo cars at the most, my company uses eurocar in belfast ALOT and each time i get "corsa or equivalent"...don't get me started on that!....

the 66 plates on wards have the screen integration and it is quite good. got given an astra last time and it didn't have it...was gutted...

1 hour ago, mattjames1980 said:

AA takes over the main screen in corsa's now so you don't need the phone, rental companies are usually 1 or 2 yo cars at the most, my company uses eurocar in belfast ALOT and each time i get "corsa or equivalent"...don't get me started on that!....

the 66 plates on wards have the screen integration and it is quite good. got given an astra last time and it didn't have it...was gutted...

Right, didn't know Vauxhall/Opel had AA.

Correct screen was via in built display but it was not in any way stable and really did not look that good.  At the end of the day with casting technology and even using HDMI cables the screen should be; stable, easy to use, well thought out and intuitive and identical.  I don't think I got any of those.

All in quite a distraction and at best not fit for purpose at worst likely to contribute to an accident, which seems completely wrong as I would consider the aim is to stop people using their phones by enabling buttons on MFSW etc.

Tried it once on the superb but was not impressed so didn't try again.

I may try apple and see if that is any better but don't hold out any hope.

Using a Motorola G3 (Android Marshmallow) and a decent USB lead I have had no Android Auto connection issues. On a 430 mile trip to the north of Scotland not one drop out. Use both Google Maps and Waze and more than happy with both. The 8" screen is way better than using a small dash mounted sat nav and both Maps and Waze are a match for the built in sat nav in the wifes Nissan, better in truth simply because both are up to date, the Nissan one was years old when new and Nissan now want £100+ for a new SD card.

Next car will have AA not built in Nav.

another fan of here for AA ... I love it.  Worked fine on my old Nexus 5.

Just waiting for a new short right angled USB C Lead before I use it on my newer Nexus 5X (Could only find a cheapy cable, so will have to wait and see!).

One thing I have noticed on the Nexus 5X via Bluetooth is that's its asked me a couple of times for permission to access the phone contacts or messages.  Seems to have forgotten I approved it earlier.

waze is by far the best satnav, I haven't touched the OEM one since I installed it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winterwolf said:

another fan of here for AA ... I love it.  Worked fine on my old Nexus 5.

Just waiting for a new short right angled USB C Lead before I use it on my newer Nexus 5X (Could only find a cheapy cable, so will have to wait and see!).

One thing I have noticed on the Nexus 5X via Bluetooth is that's its asked me a couple of times for permission to access the phone contacts or messages.  Seems to have forgotten I approved it earlier.

waze is by far the best satnav, I haven't touched the OEM one since I installed it.

This one worked for me… much neater :thumbup:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ARQF3HQ/

EDIT: Ignore this… just spotted you need USB C for the 5x :blink: might be of use for anyone needing micro USB.

Edited by Alan_P

On 11/09/2017 at 09:14, dg360 said:

AA is absolutely rock solid for me.  Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  I subscribe to Google play music anyway so I can basically just hold down the voice recognition button and then ask for any song or album I can think of.  4g is pretty good where I am so everything is just streamed seamlessly.  I looked on this forum and found the cable that was recommended and order this before the car was even delivered :)

I tried Waze a couple of days ago.  Has anyone else found that it can't handle voice commands?  "Navigate to such and such" results in the Android equivalent of a puzzled look.  Switching back to Google Maps rectified it immediately.

I found that with waze also. You can get a kind pause once you speak out a route. Hoping they patch this soon. Waze can get tunnel vision on long trips also.

Edited by Mattster

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone able to shut waze up a bit? .. thought I saw a setting for changing voice prompts to a minimum, but cant find it ... probably for another app knowing me!

But I think I can handle remembering what to do at a junction without telling me again 10 seconds later when I get nearer :)

5 minutes ago, Winterwolf said:

Anyone able to shut waze up a bit? .. thought I saw a setting for changing voice prompts to a minimum, but cant find it ... probably for another app knowing me!

But I think I can handle remembering what to do at a junction without telling me again 10 seconds later when I get nearer :)

You can set it to alerts only. So only speed cameras, reported hazards etc. 

Last question .. today :)

Anyone found a way to get from AA back into the cars normal media Jukebox player, and back to AA ... Without having to go back into menu and opening up AA again?  Not a fan of fannying on with the infotainment when I'm driving when I can help it.

• 2 weeks later...

AA works flawlessly with my Nexus 6P...

As will all things especially if you have a USB Type C connector, always use quality cables as cheap ones do lose data throughput.

As for the mention of 'cartoon' graphics.

Do a quick search for 'Putting Android Auto in to developer mode' and activate the 720p output for your phones data connector and you will see increased quality.

Most issues I have encountered with AA have nothing to do with the inbuilt app but rather my phone has decided to do something strange like play the audio from the external speaker rather than through the car. Close the app and try again and it works... 

I think the phone gets confused sometimes....closing down the infotainment system and restarting doesn't re mediate the issue but closing the app does. Hence my thought process that the issue lies with the device.

Edited by Zenbasses