5000 Mile Review

dcl5ad

• 9 months later...

The “ashless” oils seem to be the difference.  No requirement to idle down anymore it seems as there is no potential for residue to contaminate the bearing surface area anymore I guess.

That guibo coupling price is outrageous.

The comparative turning circles seems odd.

On 23/09/2017 at 23:41, dcl5ad said:

My Abarth 595 has pretty much identical specific outputs

...but weighs considerably less and is set up to be a small sporty car (go-kart would probably be more accurate!). If you wanted the same sort of thing in a big 7-seat SUV, then an SQ7 might have been a better choice.

Excellent write-up though - totally agree about using the area view as a front/back dash cam. Pretty sure that will happen sooner or later. Can't believe how few miles you've done in it... I'm on 3,500 and I've only had mine since March. And we're off to the south of France in August (albeit without roof box/bikes)...

To disable the alarm you click twice in quick succession on the lock button on your key. You will see that the red alarm button no longer flashes. 

I'd be interested to see how you put the net up behind middle row. I've had a look but can't see how to do it.

6 hours ago, KKB24 said:

I'd be interested to see how you put the net up behind middle row. I've had a look but can't see how to do it.

It's held in place by pixie dust :tongueout:.

Seriously, you need to tilt the middle row seats forward, then look down for the metal loop to use the clips on. The top elastic loops go on the hooks which are cunningly hidden under the ends of the luggage cover (take that out and you'll see them). It's not an easy net to keep fixing / removing, so I gave up on it.

05589A93-648D-495F-BA64-D0838B564980.thumb.jpg.5d933081e5847a87fbac1e63100fde51.jpg

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

I didnt spec mine with the nets

The storage nets are included on SE and above - 'Net programme in boot'. The £155 option is something else entirely - it's a partition screen to use between boot and middle row... I'm guessing for dogs.

Yes the luggage nets are different to the partition nets which are more like a ballistic cargo retainer. 

11 hours ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Can't believe how few miles you've done in it... I'm on 3,500 and I've only had mine since March. 

Pfft. Picked ours up on the 16th May. It’s currently on 4,600 miles. :biggrin:

14 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

Pfft. Picked ours up on the 16th May. It’s currently on 4,600 miles. :biggrin:

Give me 6 weeks or so and I'll have passed 5,000 miles once we're back from the south of France!

The amount of miles I do has (thankfully) decreased over the last few years, from about 20k/year in my 1 series to about 15k/year in the Octavia, and around 10k now. It'll get even less when the youngest goes to secondary school in 14 months and walks with her elder sister. Most of my weekly miles at the moment are the 10 mile roundtrip to her primary school in a morning (and some afternoons).

In 6 weeks time we’ll be back from touring France and Northern Europe :tongueout:

We’re at a bicycle race most weekends - last weekend was a 450 mile round trip. My daily work commute is about 50 miles ish :crying: 

It’s the main reason for getting the Kodiaq - our last car was petrol with a 6000 mile service interval. 

17 minutes ago, MrTrilby said:

My daily work commute is about 50 miles ish :crying:

My daily work commute is rolling out of bed and into the study. I :heart: WFH.

Having said that, I'm in a hotel room in Germany at the moment - if I'm not home, I'm a lot further away than 50 miles... but I don't have to drive, fortunately.

• Like 1

We're on 20000 miles now and it's time to say goodbye to our bear - we've outgrown it.

Despite it having 7 seats and three isofix points (we specified it with a front passenger isofix) the reality of the situation is that with three children requiring child / baby seats, the back two seats become inaccessible, which makes it useless for carting around my increasingly immobile in-laws. So why not fit a child seat to the third row? The bottom line is: you can't. As the headrests are not removable, the backrest of any child seat placed back there is pushed forward, leaving an unsupported section. In an accident this would break, potentially causing injury.

But the manual says you can use a Britax Kidsafe seat back there? Yes it does, it even lists a test number. Except that's cobblers. Its a generic test for the seat. Britax have never tested the seat there and neither have Skoda. Their official response when I queried this was "The manual is wrong, we've never tested a seat there. You could try mothercare and see if they think it fits." Which, to be frank, was an unacceptable response. The rear seat squab is also too short to properly support a child seat, meaning that my son's recaro seat wobbles around all over the place. Yes I've gone against my engineering instinct and made his seat fit: hacked the headrest mechanism so that i can remove them & then used two ratchet straps to pull the seat back & down into the third row. This is temporary fix while we sourced an appropriate replacement vehicle, in the shape of a VW Caravelle.

Its a shame really, if they'd thought the interior use cases through a little better it could be an amazingly versatile vehicle. It's comfy, effortless to drive on very long journeys, superbly capable in crap winter weather and some of the little features are brilliant - voice enhancer, the two umbrellas, area view (I'm building something close to this for the caravelle). The engine is beautiful & with a 230 brake map would really finish the car off.

I'm gonna try and persuade my dad to buy it off me to replace his ageing superb.

How old are your kids?

We only have two, they are 4 and 7, both in full size car seats in the middle row.

I agree, accessing the third row with car seats attached via ISOFIX to the middle row prevents the seats from folding forward sufficiency to grant access.

I'd imagine with three kids, or other circumstances requiring regular access to the third row this would quickly become tiresome.

Perhaps I'm a little more blase about the safety of our first born but she is flexible enough to squeeze in with her backless booster seat for those occasions when we're transporting her and her mates :D

A few guys here at work have Caravelle's, or are they Transporters with side windows and a second row of seats? Either way there is no escaping the fact they're a van with windows in terms of driving dynamics and refinement. And the price of them, wow :sweat:

The wallet-emptiers are 4.75, 3 and 0.

Yeah the price of a new caravelle is stunning. Like double what a loaded ford transit custom would be.  I've picked up a decent second hand one for cheaps though. There's no getting over the fact they are a van with 400kg of sound deadening and leather interior (it weighs somewhere between 2138 and 2387kg wet!) . That said, its really relaxing to drive and so mind-boggling versatile that we had a picnic in the back on Saturday, all 5 of us sat 'round the pop-up table. 

There's no denying that. One of the lads here has what he calls an 'inflatable drive-away awning' for his Transporter so can use it as his daily 'car' and also as the weekend 'camping bus' but without the hassle of pulling a caravan or trying to erect / disassemble a tent in the wind and rain.

I've checked the boot badge and it is a Transporter 'Combi' not a Caravelle. It is ply-lined with no sound deadening which would explain the van-like ambience on longer journey's :D

He tells me the Caravelle is much improved.

Enjoy. I can fully appreciate why the Kodiaq wouldn't be quite versatile enough for three kids, especially if one of them is a new-born.

Good luck!

I've got four - aged 4, 3, 2 and 7 months and the main family bus is a Citroen SpaceTourer (8seats).  I am swapping my Superb for a Kodiaq just so that I have the potential of getting everyone in the same car in case we ever need it.  The older two will just have to take their chances in booster in the third row if needed....

On the occasional times we have the 3 grand kids  together, the 4 and 6 year old like being in row 3 in their high back booster seats with the centre seat in centre row folded down so it not too claustrophobic, and the 1 year old in an isofix in row 2. Pity there wasn’t enough room to get the 3 seats in the centre row.

1 hour ago, DaveMiller said:

That link doesn’t work, I’m afraid :sadsmile:

Works if you Copy & Paste link.

Edited by WaterMelonMan
Removed new link as does not resolve correctly either

Interestingly at our first service they dumped the 0w20 and put the 0w30 like you find in every other VW in. I queried this and was told by both the garage and skoda UK that they'd changed the recommendation. I wonder if they've had some feedback from metallurgy?