Preventing condensation/dew on Wing mirrors and Side Windows

A garage ;)

Heated wing mirrors should clear pretty quickly and opening/closing the front windows should sort those immediately.

Not sure a water treatment (rain-x, gtechniq, aquapel) will help much. Doesn't seem to have made much difference on my front windows against dew.

Keep interior/exterior glass and mirrors as clean as possible but unfortunately there's nothing you can do to completely mitigate this... apart from parking in a climate controlled garage (or relocate to a warmer/drier country)

Look on web for Screen frost protector - if you get a large enough one it will cover the side windows/mirrors as well.

BUT

Not sure it saves time buy the time you have fitted it in the evening to stop dew but worth it for frost. If your boot is clear just chuck it in there and of you go.

Have also seen some where a small fan heater that can run on a time clock of batteries. So this comes on an hour or so before car is needed and gets internal temp up so windows clear. Cant see it helping with mirrors though - what about sandwich bags ??

I'm trialing rain-x anti fog.  I'll put some on the mirrors and see.  I think it has helped with the slight amount of fog that the windscreen tends to have.

Polishing the stuff so it isn't smeary is a bit of a pain though 

I used RainX when it came out 30+ years ago and still have a few bottles somewhere - good stuff. It makes the water bobble up on glass and (on a windscreen) it simply blows off as you drive along - no wipers needed even in moderate rain. It might work on side windows with the water drops going in a horizontal direction when you drive off.

I believe it was developed for aircraft and then came onto the consumer market.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Smudgers said:

................................. If your boot is clear just chuck it in there and of you go.

last thing you want to do - you just transfer the water into the car and have a huge condensation problem.

Speaking from experience!

3 things I do at this time of year;

Run a dehumidifyer for a weekend on full power, keep emptying it

Use dehumidifyer crystals for the rest of the winter - remember to remove them when full

On a long run, turn the heating full blast and open the windows a bit - this removes moisture quite well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IJWS15 said:

last thing you want to do - you just transfer the water into the car and have a huge condensation problem.

Speaking from experience!

Me too - never had an issue - strange ?

I do have my A/C on all the time - wonder if that makes a difference.

7 minutes ago, S00perb said:

3 things I do at this time of year;

Run a dehumidifyer for a weekend on full power, keep emptying it

Use dehumidifyer crystals for the rest of the winter - remember to remove them when full

On a long run, turn the heating full blast and open the windows a bit - this removes moisture quite well

Better still is the de-humidifier function of Climatronic.

Just make sure the aircon is switched on to reduce the humidity. On a wet day with condensation in the inside of the windscreen, the humidity function will clear the glass very quickly. Air con is not just not there for cooling and works on cold days in conjunction with hot air to reduce humidity to a comfortable level.

In the older systems the aircon compressor was either on full or off. In our cars the compressor is connected all the time but modulated to any level between zero and 100%.

So you can leave the aircon switched on all the time without having significant effect on fuel consumption, Sounds silly to have the aircon on when heating the car on a cold day but that is because we were brought up in the pre climate control days,

• Like 1

1 in the boot and 1 in the car. = £2.   Other Vehicle specific ones are available.

Then Rain X or Fog X others are available.

Silicone spray around door / hatch seals and remove wet / damp mats & take inside and dry when parking up in winter.

(Keep your fuel tank as full as possible over winter when day and night temps are up and down and condensation will form in the tank.)

1840955_1.jpg

51Ji4f2ORpL._SL1000_.jpg

798652.jpg

Edited by Headinawayoffski

9 minutes ago, pikpilot said:

Better still is the de-humidifier function of Climatronic.

Just make sure the aircon is switched on to reduce the humidity. On a wet day with condensation in the inside of the windscreen, the humidity function will clear the glass very quickly. Air con is not just not there for cooling and works on cold days in conjunction with hot air to reduce humidity to a comfortable level.

In the older systems the aircon compressor was either on full or off. In our cars the compressor is connected all the time but modulated to any level between zero and 100%.

So you can leave the aircon switched on all the time without having significant effect on fuel consumption, Sounds silly to have the aircon on when heating the car on a cold day but that is because we were brought up in the pre climate control days,

Does that actually get rid of the problem of havinbg moisture in the car, or just move it about?

I really don't like drying the window with aircon as it tends to leave a real nasty smeary gunk on the screen. Any dust and dirt on the screen attracted by the wet, just drys in place and it gets worse and worse. I would rather the car was dry

1 minute ago, S00perb said:

Does that actually get rid of the problem of havinbg moisture in the car, or just move it about?

I really don't like drying the window with aircon as it tends to leave a real nasty smeary gunk on the screen. Any dust and dirt on the screen attracted by the wet, just drys in place and it gets worse and worse. I would rather the car was dry

AC removes moisture from the air in the car, the water then goes down the AC condensate drain and drips out under the car. So yes, it removes the moisture.

However, you bring lots more moisture in and keep making it when you're driving ;)

Anyway, I think we are getting off topic. I believe the OP was looking for advice on external dew rather than internal condensation...

A/C very good, no use in areas where the Ambient temp Ground or Air might not rise above 2*oC for 7 days on more day or night.

Unless doing runs where you are going to locations with higher outside temps.

That is also the type of weather where pouring warm water on the external glass of some Skoda Models ends with a block of ice in the does after a few days, 

and ice on the ground where you park your car.

Just now, Headinawayoffski said:

A/C very good, no use in areas where the Ambient temp Ground or Air might not rise above 2*oC for 7 days on more day or night.

Given the OP is based in London, that's quite unlikely :)

• Like 1

Exactly,

a gloved hand wipes off condensation / H2o from nice clean glass.

& if the weather is low pressure and emissions / pollution high, use public transport maybe if suitable, the RoUK pays enough for the Public Transport & Pollution in London.

PS,

Where people live and then travel to are often different places, which is why they have vehicles.

Sometimes people are in different areas of the country or different countries from their residence.

businessman-with-a-great-idea_1012-219.jpg

Use a potatoe. Cut it in half and wipe the mirrors with the flat side.  HGV drivers do it

Do not do inside of windsceen

Mayoboat

Edited by Mayoboat
add new line of text