Is there a better all round car than a Octavia 1.4 TFSI DSG?

11 minutes ago, ahenners said:

It's worse on the diesels, on the petrols it's pretty smooth.

Sure, everything else I mentioned is academic and not real life :dull:

No offence, but your last post clearly shows you have never used rapid chargers, let along considered super chargers. You have also never planed an EV trip. Your sources of information seems to be from media outlets.

Yes, you have to plan stops, but don't know about you, I can't safely drive more than 120 miles without stopping. That's minimal 2 hours of sitting on the motorway. So the 20min stops will hardly add any time to usual 15min toilet breaks.

Yes, infrastructure is lacking at the moment for mass adoption. But it's also more than enough for an enjoyable long distance journey, especially in a Tesla with supercharger network. Range really is a non-issue.

If you pointed out the build quality as your reasoning, I'd have conceded. Because for its price, it can't compare against German/Japanese rivals.

(Nissan Leaf however, top build quality, not a single noise in the cabin compared to 3 on my Skoda, so far)

!.5TSi DSG SE L is a better car. Don't understand the comments about rough ride. My first Octavia a 1.9TD DSG Ambiente on 16 inch wheels was very smooth and several time passengers commented on the smoothness and it towed my caravan very well. My second Octavia a 2-0TDi DSG SE L Estate on 18 inch wheels was a lot harsher ride and didn't tow as well - always felt wobbly (unstable). My third Octavia and current car the 1.5 TSi DSG SE L Hatch back is a smooth as the Ambiente - I have the 17 inch wheels so this may make it a bit smoother - I haven't towed with it yet.

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

What is fuel up anxiety? I've never heard of this or experienced it. It's pretty easy to see how many miles are left in the tank on most modern cars' trip computer and fill up in advance of getting anywhere close to 0.

True enough, but it's also easy to make a mistake or be caught out by traffic and end up doing 10 or 15 miles after the point at which it's shown zero.
*That* definitely causes some tension.

Just now, Dr Zoidberg said:

True enough, but it's also easy to make a mistake or be caught out by traffic and end up doing 10 or 15 miles after the point at which it's shown zero.
*That* definitely causes some tension.

Indeed, I think everyone has been there at least once. The same applies to EV and the remaining range though too. The inclination seemed to be that this is a conventional engine problem and not an EV problem :)

1 hour ago, SuperbTWM said:

I would have a Golf over the Octavia any day, I find the build quality better in general and its quieter.

The Octavia is probably better value for money though, and offers a LOT (bit) more room than most cars..........

I think this sums up the main reasons for having an Octavia.

1 hour ago, wyx087 said:

No offence, but your last post clearly shows you have never used rapid chargers, let along considered super chargers. You have also never planed an EV trip. Your sources of information seems to be from media outlets.

Yes, you have to plan stops, but don't know about you, I can't safely drive more than 120 miles without stopping. That's minimal 2 hours of sitting on the motorway. So the 20min stops will hardly add any time to usual 15min toilet breaks.

Yes, infrastructure is lacking at the moment for mass adoption. But it's also more than enough for an enjoyable long distance journey, especially in a Tesla with supercharger network. Range really is a non-issue.

If you pointed out the build quality as your reasoning, I'd have conceded. Because for its price, it can't compare against German/Japanese rivals.

(Nissan Leaf however, top build quality, not a single noise in the cabin compared to 3 on my Skoda, so far)

No offence taken, it's good to get a different perspective and there's no right or wrong, only differing opinion :)

Correct, I don't own an EV so haven't planned a journey for one. I'm aware of the fast chargers - one of our customers at work (energy industry) operates a large number of them in the UK at Motorway service stations - they are a step in the right direction, but it still limits you on where you can charge, and if there's no charging points free, it's not like being sat behind someone at the petrol station i.e. waiting 5 mins at the most. They still don't answer the problems of not being able to charge at home or work either if charging points aren't available where you park in either place.

120 miles isn't a huge distance before needing to stop. I've easily done 4+ hour drives without stopping - largely because I'd rather "just get home". If I stop for a toilet break, it's a 5 mins job, not hanging around. Can appreciate everyone is not the same here though.

I'm not saying EV are terrible (they aren't!) as the range isn't as good, I'm saying that it isn't a magic bullet answer because of the additional planning and consideration required, the constraints on range and charging, and because the infrastructure isn't quite there yet. If I need to make a long journey, I simply stop by a petrol station, spend 5 mins filling up and that's all I need to do to cover 400-500 miles. It requires no more than a passing thought and 5 mins of time. As battery and charging tech improves, and the charging infrastructure grows, many of these points will no longer be an issue, but we simply aren't there yet.

I did mention the interior quality of the Model S for a £60k car compared to luxobarges. I love the tech but as a place to sit I'd much rather be in a 5 series or an A6, they are better in materials and finish. 

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

To stay on topic & within what the OP thought.....

Yes there is a better car....

the one I got because it is better than the same version in the MK3 Octavia....multilink rear suspension for a start

I think your question is missing one aspect " for the price"

Mk2 Octavia 1.9pd manual estate. Hands down the best loved vehicle I've owned in the last 30 years.

Current 1.4tsi manual estate is running it pretty damned close though.

Edited by Gerrycan

It's all very subjective - I think a better question would have been "Is there a better all round car in the price bracket?".

To me, and all round car needs to do EVERYTHING well, e.g. be comfortable, spacious, practical, not cost the earth to run, and fast etc etc.

In my opinion, the best all round car money can by these days would be an Alpina D3 Bi-turbo Touring. One of the finest cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving, and it just does everything so well, and all for £50k.

My tuppence worth...

Edited by vtec to vrs!
  • Like 1

Have to admit I got mine because I needed an all-rounder.

Space, available options, decent (multilink) suspension, good engine (quick to heat up) decent performance, reasonable economy, good on short runs in traffic (no DPF) but can still cover distance with ease, and good in all weathers. Didn't cost the earth (when compared to a similar specc'd Audi, VW or BMW) 

Shame Skoda don't like selling them everywhere :thumbdown:

More popcorn? :biggrin:

On 10/11/2017 at 04:25, Gerrycan said:

1.4tsi manual Combi is a great all rounder for the money . Well- that's what I chose to spend my OAP money on and I won't be swayed. Comfortable, well equipped, no booming and 50mpg plus on long runs.

Edited by gregoir

On 10/11/2017 at 04:25, Gerrycan said:

I think your question is missing one aspect " for the price"

Mk2 Octavia 1.9pd manual estate. Hands down the best loved vehicle I've owned in the last 30 years.

Current 1.4tsi manual estate is running it pretty damned close though.

I also went from Mk2 Octavia 1.9pd manual (Elegance hatch) to  Mk3 1.4tsi manual (SE Sport hatch) via a very brief period of 

Mk3 2.0 tdi manual ownership (active regen, active regen, more active regen - got shot of it). Still believe current car is a pretty decent compromise for my circumstances but disappointed that it is inferior to my old 1.9 in several respects, most important being ride quality from torture beam rear suspension. 

I'm v pleased with mine as an all-rounder and strikes my balance for performance, refinement, space (inside), size (outside) and price.

Anything else more "premium" including Golf estate seems to sacrifice interior space, or is significantly larger outside for similar boot space (thinking 5 series touring etc). Petrol DSG is refined and gutsy enough with reasonable economy.

In the near future I'd see us trading the runaround car for a Fiesta-sized EV with circa 150 miles range. I can see a real advantage of city stop/start/crawl with EV. With small kids in the car, I want to charge at home on the driveway and have enough for a round trip in winter, none of that charge on the way/at destination hassle!

Octy 1.4 TSi certainly comes close to being a great all-purpose car, but for the previously mentioned torture beam rear suspension (which is, really, shockingly off the pace now) and the fact that though it’s well built it isn’t brilliantly built - these are VAG electronics, remember, and they are pretty average for reliability to be honest.

Best all-rounder I’ve ever come across was the Honda Accord. Decent drive, great engines, utterly bullet-proof.

The thing with the suspension is it does not need anything particularly new or even have to be independent.

I recon Saab got rear suspension for FWD about right in 1968 with the Saab 99.

Beam axle, coil springs, longitudinal location by watts linkages, transverse location by panhard rod. Suppose the only problem with this is it wouldn't offer much cost saving over IRS. For all that it would be nice to see it being used today.

I wonder why my wife has never asked what kind of rear suspension is fitted to her car . . . . . . . . . 

Oh - maybe because it matters not a jot in the kind of day to day tootling that most people drive most of the time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BoxerBoy said:

I wonder why my wife has never asked what kind of rear suspension is fitted to her car . . . . . . . . . 

Oh - maybe because it matters not a jot in the kind of day to day tootling that most people drive most of the time.

Probably not a big deal if you drive on nice smooth roads.

If your driving was in the far North of Scotland rather than Central Scotland you might get the point. You do not need to read the specs or crawl about under the car to notice the difference.