FIRST EVER BREAKDOWN PLEASE HELP

Aleskoda

Hi guys last night I was driving down the bank to quayside those of you familiar with Newcastle will know the one. Noticed dash lights were a tad dim, turned them up then they went right down, lost power steering so I pulled into a car park to inspect as the aux drive belt had been squeeking, found it still attached maybe a bit loose, dashboard lights started going crazy so I decided to shut off the engine as precaution and of course when I went to turn the key ... The lonely click of the solenoid and no starter motor engaging, I was blocking 2 cars in the car park so I pushed it into a motorcycle parking bay, as it was the only free bay, paid until 11:15 today on the metre wrote a note and left a voice mail on the parking company’s system explaining why I’m in a motorbike spot. 

Gunna try to ring insurance because I’m sure breakdowns are included, if not maybe try the AA/RAC and maybe worst case try the local garage 

any suggestions, 

much appreciated 

Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI Estate 

Check the battery terminals and earth terminals are in good condition. If you have a multi meter check the battery voltage, should be around 12v. If you getting running check the voltage when running, should see around 14v, if not the alternator might be faulty or a faulty connection. 

Edited by moley

Check if the battery light comes on with ignition switched on without engine started. It might be the famous alternator load sensing wires that have broken leading to no charge.

Just take a fully charged battery to it so you can get it home, penny gets a pound that the alternator load sense wire is broken and it's not charging, you can tell if the battery light doesn't come on with the ignition then go out when it's started.

Cheers lads!!

managed to get a recovery guy to jump me, charge the battery enough to get to a local garage, guy recommended a new belt and tensioner as it was wobbling all over. 

As for lights on dash, when the battery died, the battery light did not come on, so could it be the sensor wire too? When battery was charged I’m sure the light did come on. Car is up the garage till Monday getting those parts on so I’ll keep you all posted. 

Once again appreicate the support lads, first breakdown was quite a shock when it all went pear shaped lol 

Not a fabia but I had this happen back in 1986 on my Austin maxi after a garage replace my alternator. I'm driving down a country lane with my GF when all the dash lights go off and the engine stops, the car just glided to a a halt. Yep even then it was one of the charging wires off the alternator. I feel for ya. 

Edited by TripleMcB

Good thread link cheers, I’ll give it a once over when it gets back to me, my mechanic said he was gunna check the whole charging system over anyway as precaution, unfortunately my skoda is a basic comfort model, so no AC will that mean alt. Sensor is different to the one in the thread?

All Fabias have the same two signal wires going to/from the alternator. You just won't see a brown connector pair down there if you don't have A/C.

Just check that the battery light does what it should before you leave the garage tomorrow.