What annoyed you today?

Aspman

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

Some email services allow you to hide a read receipt

Do you mean "hide a read reciept request" or in other words not inform the recipient that the sender will know they have read the Email?

Can you show an example of a service provider that does this?

I certainly understand the desire from spammers to know that their garbage is being read, just not sure whether it is allowed and happening. Lots of people use the excuse "Oh I didnt see it, it must have gone to the spam folder" it would be good to know when they are being disingenuous rather than simply suspecting they are.

14 hours ago, skomaz said:

Noted.  All I can say is I use outlook at work and have it set such that it asks me whether I want to send a read receipt to the sender when I open the email and one has been requested.  I invariably choose not to. 

Outlook - Options / Mail / Tracking settings:

image.png.83b093911d5d400dfc5f3e46a8a60f95.png

19 hours ago, J.R. said:

What makes you believe that?

Maybe I rear it in a scam email, Lol......

7 hours ago, J.R. said:

...........................  not a swallowed scare story then I would be very grateful.

I came across the information whilst trying to find out why my junk folder was suddenly getting quite a lot of ......... well, junk........

And was wondering if it was (illogically) something to do with me blocking them.

I had opened one of the emails (being careful not to click on anything) just to check that it was junk......... it was.

Since then I have continued blocking them and not opening any of them.............  It seems to be getting back to normal with just a couple in the last few days.

So , not a swallowed scare story me thinks.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, @Lee said:

There's read receipts where the sender gets notified if the message has been opened.

There are also 1 pixel images which we can’t see easily and have embedded script in the html code to display them. 
Classic way for marketeers to find out how many of their emails get read.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveTheElder said:

There are also 1 pixel images which we can’t see easily and have embedded script in the html code to display them. 
Classic way for marketeers to find out how many of their emails get read.

Exactly that. You posted just as I was!

Edited by @Lee
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tilt said:

And was wondering if it was (illogically) something to do with me blocking them.

That certainly was the case in France with the equivalent of the TPS Telephone Preference Service, I've forgotten what it was called but if you registered your number with the service they would include it in the list that they sent to the Télémarketeers telling them that they must not ring this number, being France that is all that is needed to scare a French person into compliance but of course all their actual call centres are in Morocco or India or wherever so they were just very gratefull for the free list of hot contacts 😄

I was pretty sure that the same happened to me years ago in the UK with the TPS but could never prove it.

4 hours ago, @Lee said:

Thanks for that and to the other persons who mentioned it, now I have read it I understand how it happens and recall that I did once understand it when I chose to stop images loading for E-mails in my junk folder, so it looks like I have been and am protected.

Thanks again for the explanation, if I had a functioning memory it would not have been required.

• Like 2

400 miles into a 500 mile journey yesterday I was naturally quite tired when I arrived at yet another péage automated barrier, I fed my ticket into the machine and it spat it out, that should have been a warning to me but it didn't register, I pushed it back in and the display said "ticket invalid" and I was charged for the whole length of the autoroute (€48.50) as without the data from the ticket they could not know at what junction I had joined.

I then realised I had put the ticket in upside down, I went to reinsert it the correct way up but it had already been swallowed 😒

It would have been an expensive leg anyway because I had driven for hours on that ticket, maybe €36.

A similar thing happened to me going the other way on one of the first journeys after a similar mileage, I arrived at a barrier expecting to collect a ticket but it was a pay barrier, I looked in the car at the ticket holder and it was empty so I started frantically searching everywhere before realising that the display was telling me the amount to pay, it was a section where you dont have a ticket and dont go through a barrier to get onto the paid section, I had never come across that before or since.

Just under 12 hours door to door, 10.5 hours actual driving I think, I have the same to do again in a week.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Crying 1

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Some total scroat has cut down the tree at sycamore gap at hadrians wall last night ,some people ,utter morons ,why.

I agree it doesn't seem to make sense.  I had a good look at the piccies on the Beeb website and it seems from the relatively clean cuts across the stump that the scrote/s a) had a long-cut chain saw and b) knew what they were doing.

From what I understand the penalties for those responsible are relatively limited but hopefully they get outed and pilloried in the press and socials for their crime.

• Like 2

I speculate it was someone local fed up with all the Instagram sheeple coming there to take selfies and probably parking inconsiderately, leaving rubbish etc.

2 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Some total scroat has cut down the tree at sycamore gap at hadrians wall last night ,some people ,utter morons ,why.

16 year old boy arrested.  Little sod if it was him 😠

Gaz

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

16 year old boy arrested.  Little sod if it was him 😠

Gaz

Probably be a farmers lad mebbe ,what 16 year old goes for a wonder with a long cut chainsaw 🤬

• Like 1

Flies.  Bloody flies annoy me.  I've deduced that gnats don't have a collective consciousness, otherwise they'd know how unsafe they are if they're in my sight or earshot.  But it's the bloody little fruit flies that are getting right on my tits 🤬

What is it with them?  I walk into a room and there seems to be one ready and waiting to fly around my face. It almost seems like they want me to inhale or swallow them, stupid little feckers 🤬🙄🤮 

G

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Flies.  Bloody flies annoy me.  I've deduced that gnats don't have a collective consciousness, otherwise they'd know how unsafe they are if they're in my sight or earshot.  But it's the bloody little fruit flies that are getting right on my tits 🤬

What is it with them?  I walk into a room and there seems to be one ready and waiting to fly around my face. It almost seems like they want me to inhale or swallow them, stupid little feckers 🤬🙄🤮 

G

Bowl of apple cider vinegar on the window ledge 👍

• Love it! 1

3 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Bowl of apple cider vinegar on the window ledge 👍

It's quite narrow, and hard.  Can I use a cushion in case I slip off? 😁

G

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Probably be a farmers lad mebbe ,what 16 year old goes for a wonder with a long cut chainsaw 🤬

Some interesting comments being made about it on the Social Medias - 16 y/o lad goes out with a long cut chain saw which is pretty heavy whilst Storm Agnes is happening.
Plus there's a white cut line on the stump. Maybe the kid's a Patsy? 

image.thumb.jpeg.23d19b3a40a021881aacb349c9fd246a.jpeg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, @Lee said:

Some interesting comments being made about it on the Social Medias - 16 y/o lad goes out with a long cut chain saw which is pretty heavy whilst Storm Agnes is happening.
Plus there's a white cut line on the stump. Maybe the kid's a Patsy? 

image.thumb.jpeg.23d19b3a40a021881aacb349c9fd246a.jpeg

yeag, from videos ive seen etc, it does seem theres more to this wee tale of destruction than is currently known..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

yeag, from videos ive seen etc, it does seem theres more to this wee tale of destruction than is currently known..

A couple of tree surgeons posts I've seen hold out hope that the tree will sprout back into live and push shoots out so fingers crossed.

• Like 1

The ones I cut down a couple of months ago have sprouted all around and the resultant bush which would given time form multiple trees is now much taller than I am.

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 3

Grrrr, reading Terry Pratchett's The Folklore of Discworld - one I've had sitting on my shelf for a long time and finally started  - got to page 48, then noticed that the next page is 97! -  two entire chapters missing! Cue multiple leafs through rest of book to check if the missing chapters had been misassembled somewhere else in book - nope, nada. 😒 

Seems I will never get Terry's thinking on the Dwarfs or the Elves.

• Sad 3