How to Hardwire a dashcam in Mk3 Octy, in 50 easy steps

On 23/08/2018 at 12:47, DickB said:

Watch the video from 45 secs for one very good reason to fit a dashcam. However, insurance company have decided the accident was my fault so battle continues. One small point, accident was June 1st and car still being repaired. Skoda seem unable to supply the off side rear door poser moulding. Would I buy another Skoda? Great car, dreadful customer service over this.

How in the name of all that's holy is that NOT

your fault?,you drove straight into the trailer FFS.was it a surprise the big yoke used a lot of the road ?

Edited by 181ce

The initial impact point was behind the front wheel on the off side and continued down the entire side getting progressively deeper as it travelled the length of the car. In my book, his vehicle hit mine not mine hit him.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d3.thumb.jpg.9be727583f4be2fe930236a8fdfd7d7b.jpg

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, DickB said:

The initial impact point was behind the front wheel on the off side and continued down the entire side getting progressively deeper as it travelled the length of the car. In my book, his vehicle hit mine not mine hit him.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d3.thumb.jpg.9be727583f4be2fe930236a8fdfd7d7b.jpg

The fact remains how did you not see that was going to happen ?

17 hours ago, trimata said:

can you please post a photo of the dashcam and where is it located ? Also what model are you using?

I am also looking to mount one and i want to make it as discreet as possible.

Is this question directed at me?

Aren't the photos already provided pretty explicit and obvious?

And it's a Blackvue DR750-2CH

Edited by spinifex

17 hours ago, trimata said:

can you please post a photo of the dashcam and where is it located ? Also what model are you using?

I am also looking to mount one and i want to make it as discreet as possible.

Mine is fairly discreet and i have it so screen turns off after 15 seconds or so. See pics of internal and external.  This is on a mk3 superb but im sure it would be similar in an octy

Screenshot_20180909-005751.jpg

Screenshot_20180909-005758.jpg

18 hours ago, Adrian55555 said:

Mine is fairly discreet and i have it so screen turns off after 15 seconds or so. See pics of internal and external.  This is on a mk3 superb but im sure it would be similar in an octy

Thanks Adrian, nice looking mounting!

Thanks spiniflex, i just noticed the two photos of the camera itself, must have missed them.

18 hours ago, spinifex said:

Is this question directed at me?

Aren't the photos already provided pretty explicit and obvious?

And it's a Blackvue DR750-2CH

On 09/09/2018 at 01:02, Adrian55555 said:

Screenshot_20180909-005751.jpg

Screenshot_20180909-005758.jpg

Is it ok to stick on the painted dot area of the windscreen? I'm using decent 3M VHB pads - just wondering if the glue will bond to the paint with all the heat from the sun.

I have a similarly shaped camera and was thinking of putting in the same place but on the passenger side.

Edited by JimmyUK

FYI everyone:

Location, location, location

Failing to correctly position a dash cam is a serious traffic offence; most of the windscreen is, in fact, out of bounds, according to the UK Road Traffic Act 1988. The law divides the windscreen into two zones:

• Zone A is a 290mm area centred on the steering wheel – this is extended to 350mm in goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes GVW
  • Zone B is the area of the windscreen that is covered by your windscreen wipers when they are active, and is commonly referred to as the “swept area”

No part of the device – camera, cradle, suction cup or cables – should intrude more than 40mm into Zone B. And only 10mm intrusion into Zone A is permitted.

windscreen.png

Serious Consequences

If you are involved in a road traffic collision (RTC) and your camera is illegally positioned, you could face a charge of careless driving, or even dangerous driving. A conviction could result in anything from penalty points to up to two years imprisonment.

Additionally, if your dash cam is illegally placed, your vehicle will automatically fail its MOT.

Camera Conundrum

The dilemma here is that the camera lens needs to be within the swept area (Zone B) in order to do its job. With this in mind, RoadHawk cameras have a very low lateral profile. This enables you to mount the camera in Zone B, without breaking the 40mm rule about intrusion.

Alternatively, mounting the camera between the rear-view mirror and windscreen places it completely out of the driver’s view, so it meets all of the legal requirements.

To maintain compliance with the law, we recommend the use of the adhesive mount supplied with each of our cameras, for two reasons:

1. It is unobtrusive, with a very small footprint
  2. It enables you to position the camera as close as possible to the windscreen – this helps prevent glare and ensures you get clear footage

Our suction mount, with careful positioning, is also legally compliant, but we advise you use this as a temporary measure only.

Trial by TV

Apart from positioning, the other crucial law governing dash cams is those with an LED screen. The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 state that the screens on cameras must not be displaying footage at any time while the vehicle is in motion. If the screen is on and the driver can see it, this is classed as a serious offence. The reasoning is the same as why you can’t use a mobile phone while driving – it is a major distraction.

Yes dotted area is purely as a bit of a sunshade by the rearview mirror, i initially wanted it on the passenger side as i had a similar dashcam on my octy which was mounted the same way.  I couldnt mount it on that side due to a sensor behind it for the auto dimming on the passenger side. 

I had it on my octy for 4yrs or more and never had an issue with it. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two mini fuse piggy back adaptors from my mk2. Confused what I should piggy back off on my MK3?

I've got a power monitor box to keep my two cameras recording while parked so need constant power. 

I'm thinking some of the empty slots are live as they have metal pins?

Any advice please

C7C639B6-265F-4A0F-A864-AABA56F43BCA.jpeg

CD5F4E1C-B17A-4DC8-AAA5-DDCAF099510C.jpeg

Edited by JimmyUK

11 minutes ago, Nescafe1 said:

I used the rear window wiper fuse think it’s F47

Unfortunately that's a full size fuse. My mini fuse adaptors are already soldered up and wrapped to my power monitor box so id rather not have to adapt it. Unless I have to use F40 12v adaptor in order to get constant power.

Edited by JimmyUK

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As my car is still under warranty, I didn't want to pull off trim or mess with fuses so I just fed power to my dashcam from the USB socket in front of the gear lever. This socket is powered only when the ignition is turned on (and it stays powered until about 1 minute after the ignition is turned off and the car is locked). As my phone is connected to the system by Bluetooth, (and charged from the 12v socket by the handbrake) this option works well for me. My car is one year old, bought and registered in France.

DSC_0262.JPG

Edited by Gasconman
image addition

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this tutorial - I originally planned to power mine from the boot socket, as I did in my 3 series touring (ignition live) and was daunted at trying a hard wire, this made it so easy. For those struggling with re-attaching the damper, I reattached it first before clipping the glove box in place, took seconds. Just make sure the top is tilted back to behind the bump stops

I once test drove a fully specked Ateca, and for some reason, the first few minutes of driving the screen was showing the video feed from the front of the car and objects it recognized where overlaid with yellow cubes..

Never found how to get that to how again, though I only had 1hr to play. Mind you it may have had the 360° camera fitted.

That often got me wondering if it were possible to grab the video feed off the rear view mirror camera and save the footage.

All the video you need is there, the car's software does the processing for lane assist, front assist etc. on top of it.

Seems like it's just a short step away from hey presto a dashcam!

When are we going to get built-in dash cams from manufacturers?

Yellow blocks are when u havr rear camera up on thr screen and select the parallel park feature. The yellow blocks are meant to be the cars u park between. Thats how it comes up on my superb mk3 anyway

On 20/04/2019 at 00:29, Ratzer said:

Thank you so much for this tutorial - I originally planned to power mine from the boot socket, as I did in my 3 series touring (ignition live) and was daunted at trying a hard wire, this made it so easy. For those struggling with re-attaching the damper, I reattached it first before clipping the glove box in place, took seconds. Just make sure the top is tilted back to behind the bump stops

Any chance of a picture? 

3 hours ago, Adrian55555 said:

Yellow blocks are when u havr rear camera up on thr screen and select the parallel park feature. The yellow blocks are meant to be the cars u park between. Thats how it comes up on my superb mk3 anyway

Nope, this was driving forward out of the garage towards the barrier. It picked up the parked cars outside, hedge and barrier post. Maybe it was a glitch, but an insightful one for sure on how the system works... (my current car predates all this tech!)