Anyone else spec the heated steering wheel?

Sw1

I had a heated steering wheel on my A6 prior to giving it back, it was never that warm. In fact I doubted the button actually did anything.

Anyhow, I specced this on the Superb as I also wanted the paddles and it was a small cost, all I can see is it is fantastic and has been really nice on these cold morning so far. 

Given I have to sometimes leave the house at 5am on cold dark mornings this was a great addition and highly recommended for anyone still lookking to finalise their order.

• Like 1

Interestingly, it doesn't have it's own button.

When you turn on the heated seats it also turns on the steering wheel. The level of heat for both then pops up on the screen and you can adjust.

On the A6 it was on the steering wheel

Wouldn't be surprised if the heating element is there but disabled in software, it was only about £160 extra which is trivial

There is no element in my wheel, not surprising though as it is too years old... before the option was available, on new wheels there is a slim chance the element may be there, but I wouldn’t hold your breath!

however the HVAC system took the coding (not sure if all the coding is there though as I do not get the steering wheel heat level pop up with the heated / ventilated seats)

Current HVAC Menu:

IMG_3042.thumb.jpg.947b1a3636ef98608bee8ae2075f3dc6.jpg

Pop up window when the heated seat button is pressed

(does your steering wheel heat settings appear here as well? as this does not change once the heated steering wheel is coded) :

IMG_3043.thumb.jpg.8cc9381df59da9657ca615d4e6c16fce.jpg

New Menu once the heated steering wheel is coded (the heated steering wheel icon goes green when pressed, but back to white after a second or so proving no element is fitted to my wheel):

IMG_3041.thumb.jpg.1310e03c3b422a3ec353bc081e65fea5.jpg

Heated steering wheel heat settings:

IMG_3040.thumb.jpg.98f951988c17860a97ab8da50cf1e4a8.jpg

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Pop up window when the heated seat button is pressed

(does your steering wheel heat settings appear here as well? as this does not change once the heated steering wheel is coded) :

IMG_3043.thumb.jpg.8cc9381df59da9657ca615d4e6c16fce.jpg

Yes, the heated steering wheel option adds a new icon to the left of the 'OFF' icon of the driver's heated seat selection to allow manual on/off control (the same as the HVAC menu icon). The level setting can only be changed from the HVAC settings menu.

16 minutes ago, wooyay said:

Yes, the heated steering wheel option adds a new icon to the left of the 'OFF' icon of the driver's heated seat selection to allow manual on/off control (the same as the HVAC menu icon). The level setting can only be changed from the HVAC settings menu.

Interesting, I don't have climate seats so my heated steering wheel appears above the heated seat setting

The heated wheel in the Superb is good, similar in output to other VW ones I've had if memory serves.

The thing I spec'ed in my car which I've never had before,  and which is a complete revelation, is a pre-heater. Use it all the time!

Always assumed it was just for Canadian/Finnish drivers, but it's amazingly handy and with the Connect app, easy to stick on when you get up so it's toasty when you get in after breakfast.

4 minutes ago, Sw1 said:

Interesting, I don't have climate seats so my heated steering wheel appears above the heated seat setting

This could also be a difference between MY17 and MY18 with the new infotainment system, although I do also have ventilated seats...

27 minutes ago, wooyay said:

9 minutes ago, Sw1 said:

Any chance of a photo of what you both have please. 

1 hour ago, Gizmo said:

Any chance of a photo of what you both have please. 

Here's mine (heated steering wheel isn't on but when it is the line under the icon goes red, just like the heated seats):

IMG_20171211_212024.thumb.jpg.3d0e748dd635cde38b395412d497ab6c.jpg

• Like 1

Will take a pic tomorrow , mine is the same as @wooyay, the difference is where it shows the climate seata my steering wheel is there.

Very impressed with the new infotainment system so far, streets ahead of the system in my 2014 A6

I also got the heated wheel and paddles.  Love both especially the heated wheel.  It gets very warm so no issues there.  One of those things I wouldn't be without now but I suppose that's the same with a lot of spec that we get used to.  Regarding the placement of the button on the touchscreen, I always assumed the positioning along with the heated/cooled seats was because the option itself was a bit of an afterthought as it wasn't available on the original cars.  If it was designed into the original design back in 2015, I would have expected a dedicated button somewhere.  It is a bit awkward though if you want to leave the wheel on and switch off the seats, as you have to turn the seats back on and then switch them off immediately just to get access to the heated wheel.

On 11/12/2017 at 19:45, Gizmo said:

New Menu once the heated steering wheel is coded (the heated steering wheel icon goes green when pressed, but back to white after a second or so proving no element is fitted to my wheel)

Would it be possible to share the adaptation you used for coding that? Heated steering wheel was an option I would have liked very much to have but was not available to order with the sport steering wheel on Sportline when I placed my order in spring. In the mean time it's possible to order a heated steering wheel even for Sportline and I'm wondering if the heating element is present or not given that my car was built in August. Thanks a lot in advance!

I spected for it and I'm loving it. When I clean car from snow or simply do something on cold day when I get into car and turn on heating steering wheel it makes hands worm fast and it also forces me to have 2 hands on steering wheel all the time ^^. On "medium" its not too strong its just perfect. I'm only sad I didn't take heated windshield. 

8 hours ago, JR RS said:

tis a shame we cannot control the rear seats heating, like u can with the front seats, on the infotainment menu.

Agreed! When the kids get out, it would be handy to know if the seats are still on also. They don't seem to show on the convenience consumers list either, although I may not have given enough time to refresh.

On 13/12/2017 at 21:29, LiviuV said:

Would it be possible to share the adaptation you used for coding that? Heated steering wheel was an option I would have liked very much to have but was not available to order with the sport steering wheel on Sportline when I placed my order in spring. In the mean time it's possible to order a heated steering wheel even for Sportline and I'm wondering if the heating element is present or not given that my car was built in August. Thanks a lot in advance!

Look under 08 - Auto HVAC then longcoding, there may well be other coding under adaptations but I didn’t look that deep.

5a32db3d4be83_Heatedsteringwheel.JPG.7579c985d08032673939ad64c3a9ede4.JPG

On 14/12/2017 at 10:49, MaddicIrl said:

Agreed! When the kids get out, it would be handy to know if the seats are still on also. They don't seem to show on the convenience consumers list either, although I may not have given enough time to refresh.

They do however turn off automatically (and stay off until physically turned back on by someone in the rear) when the ignition is turned off.

@john999boy do you fancy sending me your admaps and a scan of your car so I can dig deeper?

Edited by Gizmo

3 hours ago, Gizmo said:

They do however turn off automatically (and stay off until physically turned back on by someone in the rear) when the ignition is turned off.

Good to know, than you. Never a complaint more of an improvement suggestion. I am a happy Skoda customer :)

• 1 month later...