VRS 245 grinding brakes

I lived in Rep of Ireland for some years and I bought a new 2002 Primera. My mother was ill and I had work in the UK so used to drive from SE Ireland to the Midlands via Holyhead and back most weeks.

After 2 years, the Nissan dealer had a brake service offer on and considering I’d done 63,000 km I thought I’d treat myself. I booked it in and dropped it off and when I went to collect it they only went to charge me €45 and not the €149 for the full pad and fluid replacement or whatever it was. Foreman told me the amount of salt on UK roads had corroded the brakes as Irish Nissans weren’t fitted with Zinc plated components as there’s very little salt on the roads, coupled with the fact I could drive from Holyhead to Queensferry without touching the brakes the pads were only 1/3 worn!

Edited by KevC_Derby

BigEjit.

Sitting outside i had a 12 year old Volvo, a 18 & 14 year old Suzuki on replaced discs, 1 set each and a Skoda (5 sets in 7 years) and Seat on OEM discs, same environment. 

Rust crappy Skoda & SEAT discs and shiny discs on the other vehicles with little usage.

Take out the Seat or Skoda and grinding brakes until surface corrosion cleaned off. 

It is just how things might be, location location location and VW Group OME materials / components.

Not had an issue with my LCR or Altea, Saab 93 with VXR spec parts were no different.

If you have had 5 sets on the Skoda and you feel they aren’t up to your expectations, im surprised you haven’t tried EBC or other aftermarket parts. You could have been quids in by now?

Between all the different mfrs, rate of corrosion on disc surfaces has been consistent with environmental conditions and usage. No one vehicle has stood out for being better or worse. And they got wet a lot esp in winter as I don’t drive dirty cars.

i have noticed the LHR on each vehicle suffered slightly more corrosion than the other corners only because it’s more exposed to the elements when parked up at home. Again, all the vehicles I owned showed the same traits when parked in the same spot.

Cast iron discs will always corrode, the higher the iron content, the faster it occurs. 

Edited by BigEjit

Absolutely, VW discs are just the same as other vehicles parked up around my area. We have a large concentration of high end OEM dealerships close by and a quick scout of the used cars out front show exactly the same corrosion rates on exposed discs other than those with carbon ceramic or more closed in wheel designs.

Specific Alloy wheel cleaners will accelerate and cause corrosion and pitting of discs esp outer exposed surfaces if not properly cleaned off, something I picked up whilst working with the chassis development teams at Gaydon a few years back, hence it’s not and never has been in the cleaning kit.

14 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Sigh all you like, you drive a warm hatch with adequate brakes, that corrode easily, and with pads that are so so.

I have driven them they are not a performance car or performance brakes, as you see by how cheap they are to replace.

with like for like, and upgrades are still cheap.

Now you are just being unnecessarily unpleasant.  

Bought the car as a replacement for a MK2 VRS ESTATE (owned for seven years 80k, one set of replacement discs, fine brakes) after considering many alternatives. Buying the 245 over an optioned up cooking VRS is a no brainer money wise.

You are the guy calling it the 'halo' model etc. not me. You do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder frankly.

Edited by juan27
  • Like 1

I am calling it the 'Halo' model because it is supposed to be the top of the Octavia model,  the one Skoda brought out to get magazine and internet space and boost interest.

The only chip is likely to be off the edge of these discs fitted by the time the winter is over.

Time will tell though just how poor or otherwise these discs will stand up to environmental conditions and that is what Dealership employees say.

It is how you use and wash your car.

Identical brakes do sometimes corrode worse than others depending on the wheel design on the car, and also drivers side worse than passenger side if you park at the road side.

2 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

The only chip is likely to be off the edge of these discs 

Come on you have a real issue with the VRS. Not just this thread.

• Like 1

The discussion is Grinding brakes.   Brakes that Skoda fit that corrode rather quickly as shown by the pictures posted, and peoples experiences.

The issue is the brake discs as fitted.  No other issue really. 

As to the Octavia vRS no real issues as not my cup of tea with Show and no special amount of go, a good family sized car.

What annoys me is how Skoda are held back by the VW Group.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Pretty much all cars' discs will corrode and grind on first use as they remove corrosion after standing in damp conditions. My 5 series went through 2 sets of discs in 40000 miles, probably caused by regularly leaving it parked up for weeks on end. Even when they were clean they creaked, despite copper grease. My wife's 07 reg Sirion is on its 3rd set of discs in 25000 miles, definitely caused by lack of use. 

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

The discussion is Grinding brakes.   Brakes that Skoda fit that corrode rather quickly as shown by the pictures posted, and peoples experiences.

The issue is the brake discs as fitted.  No other issue really. 

As to the Octavia vRS no real issues as not my cup of tea with Show and no special amount of go, a good family sized car.

What annoys me is how Skoda are held back by the VW Group.

To be fair you are the one that broadened the conversation though aren't you? 

As a 245 owner I'm obviously interested in the main topic. If the discs fitted to that specific model have dubious longevity then I would like to know but I'm not seeing any specific factual information from you on this.

As for the "adequacy" of the brakes in use I have no complaints and I have not seen them raised as a negative issue in the many road tests of the VRS 245, Golf GTI PP or R. I'm sure there are better brakes available but to dismiss them as a parts bin lash up is ludicrous.

I have never driven an Audi RS6 or Porsche so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

20 hours ago, BigEjit said:

There’s absolutely no difference in the corrosion resistance of the Skoda OEM discs in comparison with every other vehicle I have ever owned or driven. Only the environmental conditions have influenced how quickly they corrode when parked up. They are perfectly specced for the vehicle and it’s intended duty cycle and if I hit them hard enough to activate the ABS, the car behind will be on the back seat between the kids for sure. 

I agree, having used them on track in the wet they are more than capable for the job. in my case, they were just let down by the driver on the day. Sure they'll be even better in the summer :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replys, seems I’m not alone with this issue!

i have the car back at the dealers next week, they want to keep it for a couple if days for “further tests” as I’ve told them I’m not accepting there’s nothing wrong or to worry about!

This is tainting my enjoyment of the car right now as I’m constantly listening and hearing the grinding.

picture of my front nearside wheel.

5C6912EE-2078-4B6A-A0B4-293E2DFC3598.jpeg

Edited by Redspudder

@Redspudder  Did you read the link I posted about my 230, Mine had a grating sound whilst turning right or starting off on an Incline. It was a faulty E-Diff replaced under Warranty.  Yours is grating under braking. Sometimes you think the sound is coming from one place but its coming from somewhere elsewhere

The Dealer I use also had a listening bluetooth unit which was fitted to various part to try to Identify the location of the noise whilst been driven. The Grating could be anywhere along the Drive train bit it could be amplified to a different part of the front end.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

@Redspudder  Did you read the link I posted about my 230, Mine had a grating sound whilst turning right or starting off on an Incline. It was a faulty E-Diff replaced under Warranty.  Yours is grating under braking. Sometimes you think the sound is coming from one place but its coming from somewhere elsewhere

The Dealer I use also had a listening bluetooth unit which was fitted to various part to try to Identify the location of the noise whilst been driven. The Grating could be anywhere along the Drive train bit it could be amplified to a different part of the front end.

I will ask them to look at this, it happens no matter what direction and I’m almost certain it’s coming from the rear

25 minutes ago, ClarkyStu said:

36hours?

That is absolutely horrific. And are we seriously saying tat is an acceptable amount of surface?

To be fair the car was parked after driving 200 miles through lashing rain on heavily salted roads on Boxing Day, but I must admit I was mildly surprised.  However I have seen discs corrode significantly after being left overnight on other cars I have owned.

I don't know if the vented rear discs (as shown) are more prone to corrosion than solid discs, but they almost certainly take longer to clear than the fronts which do most of the braking. 

Its surely no coincidence that this thread has coincided with winter conditions and gritted roads.   

Time will tell if the discs wear prematurely.  Certainly anything less than 30K  on the rears will have me loudly complaining.

Edited by juan27

43 minutes ago, ClarkyStu said:

15 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

All good then.

galileogalilei1.jpg

alcoholsayings-631.jpg

You aren't really advancing this thread in any useful way.  

Edited by juan27

You helped with your picture and the assurance all is well.

As to the suggestions from 'Auric Goldfinger'  that is about the only advancement other than the knowledge that the discs can rust easily if driven in the rain or wet / cold / winter spring / summer or autumn,  or washed after the car is driven.

3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

You helped with your picture and the assurance all is well.

As to the suggestions from 'Auric Goldfinger'  that is about the only advancement other than the knowledge that the discs can rust easily if driven in the rain or wet / cold / winter spring / summer or autumn,  or washed after the car is driven.

I did not assure anyone that all is well.  All discs corrode, rear discs take longer than fronts to clear the corrosion.  Corrosion happens more after driving on gritted roads. All facts. 

The disc in the picture cleaned up fine with use and is not pitted or grooved. The car stops in a straight line and has very effective braking.   

As I said time will tell, and I certainly won't get anything from my dealer by sending him a photo of disc surface corrosion on a 4 month old car which would be cleaned off during the journey to the garage.

As for your multiple replacements (that seem to be the basis for your beef) were they for the MOT?  Corroded brakes are a money tree for garages come MOT time.  Out of interest did you fit genuine Skoda parts?   

Edited by juan27

Not all corrode so badly. 

Not even on a Skoda, SEAT, VW or Audi.

I wil;l not bore you of my SEAT outside, 13 m months old, 17,000 miles, 650 miles last week, 150 miles last journey on Tuesday and front and rear discs no rust, 

and that was miles at around freezing, snow and salted roads and now 2*oC.

Issue. the discs that do rust too easily.

PS

My brake replacements are not for MOT reasons.

They are for cars going to shows. On displays.

Blackpool..Santa Pod..Borders Scotland 095.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 minute ago, AwaoffSki said:

Not all corrode so badly. 

Not even on a Skoda, SEAT, VW or Audi.

Nor even on my cheap 10 year old Citroen C1 which is driven a lot less than our Octavia, the front discs on that only show minor rust spots after sitting undriven for weeks but the front discs on the Octavia show a thin covering of rust after not being driven for just a couple of days.

Not everything in life is equal...

• Thanks 1