Lidl Screenwash

ejstubbs

I've just topped up the screenwash reservoir in my Yeti, and the missus has nabbed some too for her Polo.  As a result, I find that I am down to my last ~1 litre of Lidl concentrated screenwash.  I've not noticed it advertised in their special buys for a while now and I'm wondering whether they may have stopped doing it.  If so then that would be a real shame, as I found it both highly effective and very economical.

Both the local branches to me are a bit off my normal routes so I don't tend to drop by unless I spot something I want/need in their bi=weekly newsletter.  Has anyone seen the concentrated screenwash in a Lidl shop recently?  If it has been discontinued, can anyone recommend another brand that is a sensible price, while still being OK for fan washer jets?

Back in 2014 I bought the genuine VAG stuff. 10 x 1L bottles for just over £20 that has lasted me over three years in my Yeti and the good ladies VW Up. [about 50K miles]

I have just bought the same again for £25 as I thought this good value for a good product. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-VAG-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-VW-QUANTUM-SCREENWASH-SCREEN-WASH-1-LITRE-WINTER-SUMMER/182696796413?hash=item2a8993e0fd:g:ecAAAOSwFGNWTbm7

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

What price per litre is a 'sensible price' to a gentleman from Edinburgh?

I know that Aldi had some when I was in just after Christmas (the shame of it - buying half price Christmas puddings!)

and Halfords here have their screen wash concentrate stacked on pallets at 5L for £5

Lots of very good products at a low price out there, but I have always aired on the cautious as " for fan washer jets " is the important bit.

The wrong fluid will block the jets. I can live with paying £20/25 for 50K miles of clear smear and smudge free windscreen motoring.

I did hear a horror story some years ago of a Merc owner getting an £800, or was it £1,800 bill due to the wrong fluid being used and blocking the jets of his still under warranty [but not for this] motor.

Colin

I've been using the Halfords concentrated screen wash for years and never had a blockage in either of my Yetis. No mention of fan jets on the label, but does a good job at a reasonable price.

2 hours ago, Bexhillian said:

Halfords here have their screen wash concentrate stacked on pallets at 5L for £5

I did have a look in Halfords yesterday.  IIRC the 5l for £5 "concentrate" is rated down to -10°C undiluted (their web site is not at all clear on this point - how unlike them).  I think the Lidl stuff used to cost £5 for 5 litres too (may have been £2.50, in fact), but was good down to -10°C at 1:2 dilution - so a third the price of the Halfords product for the same degree of frost protection.

The rate you need to get through the stuff at this time of year, I reckon it doesn't hurt to shop around!

Edited by ejstubbs

AE have just done a comparison and voted prestones their favourite. I've used Carplan for years

with no problem with fan jets.

Edited by RickT

Oops....

Didn't know it was so specific. Have used Granville Sub Zero -30 screen-wash for years in my TT and both Yeti's trouble-free.  I use it undiluted and it costs £6.79 for 5 litres (mind you I get it cost as we sell it :)).

Bill

(must read the manual sometime)

Edited by lawnmowerman

Same here, have been using Halfords undiluted mainly, over many years and many cars with no problems.

I'm very careful with using the right oils, coolants etc. but have never given much thought to the screen wash and doubt that most folks do!

Edited by VAGCF

Ive had fan jets since a 52 plate golf. Never used VW screen wash. Best they get is concentrate diluted with distilled water from the tumble drier 1:4. Never had a clog, less than £1/l. Used obd11 to code out headlight washers. 

1 hour ago, ben4012 said:

Ive had fan jets since a 52 plate golf. Never used VW screen wash. Best they get is concentrate diluted with distilled water from the tumble drier 1:4. Never had a clog, less than £1/l. Used obd11 to code out headlight washers. 

Why? They are fitted as a safety measure, will be an MOT failure, and if originally fitted to the vehicle with HID lights a legal requirement.

1 hour ago, Llanigraham said:

Why? They are fitted as a safety measure, will be an MOT failure, and if originally fitted to the vehicle with HID lights a legal requirement.

It won't fail mot, they are part of winter pack and I don't have hids. 

Mind your our own business. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I appreciate that we are sometimes a bit short in our replies, but manners cost nothing. I thought we were all here to learn, that's why we post/ask advice! Well that'd why I'm here anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/611019/mot-inspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-and-7.pdf

Section 1.7 on page 28 would appear to imply they are a legal requirement to work if fitted to HID or LED headlamps. On any other headlamps then it would appear they are not tested, unless somebody would like to read the other 200+ pages and let me know.

Happy New Year everyone .

Colin

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ben4012 said:

Mind your our own business. 

Any need for that?  It doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, back on topic - I've been using Autoglym Ultimate Screenwash lately. Halfords have had it on sale lately for £2.95 for 500ml. With a trade card it was £2.21. Not as cheap as some other products, but works really well. No smearing, suitable for fan jets and nice smell. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, del-gti said:

Any need for that?  It doesn't even make sense.

How so? This thread is about screenwash, fan jets a mention of consumption through headlight washers, all mentioned in my post, based on my own experiences since 2002.  Lannigraham makes his usual unfounded, unsupported and incorrect claims just to run people down and pretend he's DVSA's primary consultant. 

• Sad 1

Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

Unipart Screen repellent nano technology -20 ? £5.00 on ebay direct from Unipart. it's good....

1 hour ago, ben4012 said:

....Mind your our own business. 

39 minutes ago, eribaMotters said:

I appreciate that we are sometimes a bit short in our replies, but manners cost nothing....

It's an open forum.  Anything that is not intended for general discussion should be dealt with by PM. 

• Like 1

Prestone Extreme performance screen wash as above is an Auto Express best buy 2017 and Tesco are selling 2 litres for £ 3.50.
I bought 8 litres for when my VW screenwash runs out. Mixing it 50 - 50.