To change, or not to change?

Hi everyone. I've been pondering if it's worth changing my alloys from the standard 15 inchers, to a set of 16 inch VRS Mk1 alloys, or some Mk1 Audi TT alloys, or even some Beetle ones. Sepulchrave and the guys (the smarter ones!) have told be not to swap, as it'll wreck the ride quality etc. I'm a bit fed up of people taking the mickey out of my 'skateboard wheels' at work, though! I have just purchased some new Avon tyres, which throws a spanner in the works, a tad. 

Another route could be to refurb my current wheels in another colour. The alloys themselves are in pretty good nick - a small amount of kerbing on one, and a bit of the paintwork has been stripped bare on the area around the bolts on another. It's just they look so bloomin' small! Even with running spacers. 

I've enclosed a picture of the car and the current wheels. It would be nice to get a little bit of feedback on potential colours that might suit them. Thanks again for all your help :)     

DSC_0447.JPG

I can not see that putting 16" wheels on will make it look much difference if the outside of the black round thing is the same circumference and it still looks as on stilts, not that that is a bad thing, function over no real style advantage with 16's.

I think they suit the car well as it is, but thats just my opinion. if you go for 16" the cost of tyres increases quite a bit and also you will be more liable to pothole damage etc. going to 16" wont make a massive difference to ride quality, go to 17" and they do start to get rough over potholes.

You could get your current wheels done in a grey colour but i think they might get lost with it being a black car. Also i always think dark coloured wheels in smaller sizes tend to look a bit like steels with chavvy black wheel trims - like halfords type look.

Its your car though only you can decide

Looks nice as it is - to me - just ignore the work comedians,nothing wrong with silvery alloys - dark wheels are just a fashion anyway and will highlight  any  slight kerbing etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

?

What size tyres are on it now?,

because as nice as it is it really does not look lowered, more like on longer springs.

195/50/15. If you think it looks 'tall' now, you should have seen it when I bought it - it looked as if it was a 4X4!

(23363)(3)1497031270709jpg.0.jpg

• Like 1

it looks pretty smart and well proportioned

wish i had it just as it is...

i used to drive by big shop windows to see how cool my cars were

now i just look at other peoples to get a vibe

and keep the money for fuel

cheers

geof

• Like 3

Thanks for all the help (and kind words) I wandered out to my car today, feeling chuffed at the support you guys give me on here, only to find that the local cat has scratched both my front wings and the bonnet! Bloomin' moggy. Any suggestions on how to keep the cat off my car? Cheers :) 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

I have 15" Golf alloys on my Fabia Estate and think they work quite well.

The modern Skoda logo and silver wheels on a black car is good imo.

The fabia has small tyres, so you can't go too insane with the wheels anyway and I'd rather the extra bit of comfort in the estate than slightly lower profile tyres.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I was wondering how much my 15 inch alloys would be worth? (With the new-ish AV7 Avon tyres) One has light kerbing, and a little paint peeling on another.........Many thanks :)

i looked on ebay..for other makes seems to be around the £40 with good tyres//  bmw etc

and most are collect

good luck with that though...i  know you are GASSING for a change

which we all are from time to time

cheers

geof

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GeneralDogsbody said:

I was wondering how much my 15 inch alloys would be worth? (With the new-ish AV7 Avon tyres) One has light kerbing, and a little paint peeling on another.........Many thanks :)

£100 probably. 

I paid £80 for a set of those with decent tyres and a bit of kerbing back last year

• Like 1

Geta  RARB on it man! If you haven't already that is..... Whiteline is probably best as adjustable over a reasonable stiffness range.

A RARB will...

- Greatly reduce the forward weight balance on the steering and cornering. Giving a much more balanced feel to cornering.

- Greatly reduce diagonal pitching on brake, turn, power manouevres.

- Possibly induce a few change underwear moments or require one to unclench from the seat if you go too stiff on the RARB and fit shoite rear tyres.

J.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JWvrs25 said:

£100 probably. 

I paid £80 for a set of those with decent tyres and a bit of kerbing back last year

I'd be happy with £100 for them - here's a picture of the worst one (How do I advertise them on here?) 

DSC_0499.JPG

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

The people at work saying you ha e skateboard wheels need to get a life, they probably have back breaking 18/19" wheels with a rubber band for a tyre and will crack a wheel in a pot hole. 

I have a mk1 VRS on standard wheels and ride height with bilstein B4 dampers and I find the car uncomfortable to be honest. 

If you definitely want some VRS alloys though then I have a set of four in anthracite with kerbing and paint peeling you could buy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1