Additional Jack Points

in my effort to figure how to use axle/jack stands - i discovered additional points, not covered in the manual, or anywhere else on the web.

since the jack and stand can't fit side by side, i had to find alternate positions.

happy to b corrected if these are NOT jack points.

car is an MY17 220 Superb Sedan.

rear one has a rectangular cover...

jack_08.thumb.jpg.2ea42086b94a94ef9c410b555725ff27.jpg

rear one with cover removed.....

jack_03.thumb.jpg.0aed465ff81f091e32fbc62d887adee6.jpg

front one has a circular plastic cap......

jack_05.thumb.jpg.3f36642d657f12cfd358482ef2dfa7cf.jpg

front one with plastic cap removed.....

jack_06.thumb.jpg.f83e36ab244188acc2be05692860f61f.jpg

• Like 1

I would like confirmation from a tech before I use them. That front one looks far inboard so I question if that's its purpose.

Come to think of it, the rear one seems very far forward, I would expect the rear jacking points to be nearer the rear axle.

Edited by xman

All those points r on the sub-frame or chassis.

There are two identical ones at the rear, and two identical ones at the front.

I'm no mechanic, so I can't confirm.

But it sure as hell looks like very plausible jack points.

I couldnt take a pic of the actual point - it is solid metal.

Looks more safer than the sill jack points if u ask me.

2 hours ago, xman said:

Come to think of it, the rear one seems very far forward, I would expect the rear jacking points to be nearer the rear axle.

in these "exposed" pics (not my car) u can see the rear jack points more clearly, which i pointed out in my earlier pics.

it just so happens on my car, there is a plastic undertray infront of the rear wheels - hence u can't see the chassis frame on mine.

but in the images below - the plastic cover is removed, clearly showing the chassis.

red = additional points

green = "advertised" or known points

jack_01.thumb.JPG.1df7c2cee89ed5155b2e6ba3ad2de75c.JPG

jack_00.thumb.JPG.8e3032a7c8728e6cfb65249a8f60bdd7.JPG

jack_21.thumb.JPG.3bb565679e24d48119b42c257f5656bc.JPG

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

Good work.

I note the dozy spanner monkeys are using a four point hoist raising on the sill lips again!!

Why oh why oh why when they can clearly see the proper jacking point for a pad? Someone getting bent sill lips AGAIN.

Damn garages!!!

1 hour ago, xman said:

I note the dozy spanner monkeys are using a four point hoist raising on the sill lips again!!

Why oh why oh why when they can clearly see the proper jacking point for a pad? Someone getting bent sill lips AGAIN.

Damn garages!!!

indeed - tis a shame that garages just don't give a damn about where they place their hoist arms - they'll just put in the "general" area.

• 11 months later...
15 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

So has anyone been using those "hidden" points and have they been fine? Plan on lifting the car from those and then putting jack stands under the "recommended" strengthened sills.

I've used the "additional" jack points at the rear, to put two jack stands so I can hold the car high up while I changed the rear diffusor.

No issues.

I haven't used the front ones yet.

Ok. I assume both options are valid as long as you've got a low profile trolley jack? Ie. using the "additional" points as either lift or jack points, can't see why it would be different from a load point of view.

Regarding the front I wondered whether a suitable area in the sub-frame could be used so that both stands can be placed at the same time? Anyone has discovered anything like it?

12 hours ago, newbie69 said:

Ok. I assume both options are valid as long as you've got a low profile trolley jack? Ie. using the "additional" points as either lift or jack points, can't see why it would be different from a load point of view.

i used the factory supplied jack, at the normal jack points, to lift the car, then placed a jack stand at the additional jack point.

quite easy.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, IulianE said:

Can anyone help with the part number for the rubber insert "puk" ?

8N0804583 for the rubber pad, 8N0803855 for the insert.

They need to work as pair. 

• Love it! 1

Are those jacking points, or where the frame sits on the cradle as it goes down the production line.

Looks a bit too far inboard for easy location of a jack

13 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Are those jacking points, or where the frame sits on the cradle as it goes down the production line.

Looks a bit too far inboard for easy location of a jack

Jack lift goes on the sills, close to the edge. Green arrows in the pic above.

Jack stands goes on the jacking points further inwards. Red arrows in the pic above.

Edited by JR RS

On 23/01/2023 at 19:51, IulianE said:

Can anyone help with the part number for the rubber insert "puk" ?

On 24/01/2023 at 02:22, elfensin said:

8N0804583 for the rubber pad, 8N0803855 for the insert.

They need to work as pair. 

Just being beaky really… where are these used?

On 15/01/2018 at 08:55, JR RS said:

rear one with cover removed.....

jack_03.thumb.jpg.0aed465ff81f091e32fbc62d887adee6.jpg

front one has a circular plastic cap......

jack_05.thumb.jpg.3f36642d657f12cfd358482ef2dfa7cf.jpg

front one with plastic cap removed.....

Ah my car's sill lips are looking very much like yours, thanks to the garages and previous owner's garages just using whatever on them. I don't suppose there's any way to "straighten" and strengthen them once they've been bent? Would've thought this part of the car would've been particularly strengthened and not prone to being bent...

2 hours ago, SomethingSuperbly said:

Ah my car's sill lips are looking very much like yours, thanks to the garages and previous owner's garages just using whatever on them. I don't suppose there's any way to "straighten" and strengthen them once they've been bent? Would've thought this part of the car would've been particularly strengthened and not prone to being bent...

Mine is not bent, rather the thick rubbery paint located there has been squished and shifted.  Happens each time a jack lifts it.

Not sure how u would strength them, if u needed to.

Sorry to be so thick, but I am not quite understanding this.  The jacking points for changing a wheel are on the reinforced part of the crimped seam on the sill? The other points with covers that are further inboard and on the ‘chassis’ are for jacking the car on a 4 post lift and for these you need the rubber pads, is that correct? These can also be used for axle stands when working under the car?

20 hours ago, coppertop said:

Sorry to be so thick, but I am not quite understanding this.  The jacking points for changing a wheel are on the reinforced part of the crimped seam on the sill? The other points with covers that are further inboard and on the ‘chassis’ are for jacking the car on a 4 post lift and for these you need the rubber pads, is that correct? These can also be used for axle stands when working under the car?

Yes, the inner jack points r for the axle stands.

I've used it plenty of times.

This is the fronts....

Screenshot_20230128-154003.thumb.png.de3e62a3882ef6817d5ccd0e92da2c94.png

With wheel arch liner removed - u can see the "strengthening" behind it, into the chassis.

Screenshot_20230128-153845.thumb.png.94d79bdeb9dad0d30b8e77dd7279ae9e.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/01/2023 at 08:11, coppertop said:

The correct lifting on a 4 post is the sills believe it or not

36 minutes ago, Danoid said:

The correct lifting on a 4 post is the sills believe it or not

That's correct.

They shouldn't, and normally don't use the inner jack points for 4 post hoists because it's less visible, and the rear ones r behind a plastic cover/lid and almost recessed.

All the different garages I've taken my car too - they've always used the jack points on the sills.