Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 21:33, Zib said:

Unless you have got exceptionally good hearing, that means the tracks have been over-compressed in conversion to mp3 or similar.  Have you tried ripping a track at the highest possible bit rate and then comparing?

Yes thanks Zeb, i have ripped it on onto sd card I'm not sure what bit rate and I'm really not that bothered because it sounds good enough, but thanks anyway.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:45, 137699 said:

Why don't you buy an almost new Yeti? There are still some ex-demonstrators out there being sold off?

Thanks, i think that is what i may do, but can you suggest where i could source one please?

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 09:52, AwaoffSki said:

As well as the brand news one still available.

Really? where please.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 19:01, FurryFriend said:

I think you're right Ken. 

And I take your point AwaoffSki. But the bean counters lost this one. It's not always about money. They have turned CUSTOMERS away from what they call 'the brand' in these PR correct times. 

Not smart business sense. We won't be back. 

Problem is though, as we are finding out, where do you go?

I've had VWG cars for years now, VW, Audi and now Skoda and have tentatively started looking around for a Yeti replacement. Karoq is OK but that's not good enough is it? I like the Tiguan but it's too big (my wife doesn't want to go up to that size) and I can't have 2WD and the engine I want, though that may change over time when the penny drops with VW as regards diesels.

Instead of looking at new cars being an enjoyable experience I'm already getting frustrated and a little depressed and so lose interest. Despite VWG's recent behaviour I'd probably stop with them as fortunately my  experience has been good, but even so I have started thinking about other manufacturers.

Trouble is though, as per my opening line, what is there to replace the Yeti which ticks all the boxes? 

Guest FurryFriend

And THAT my friend is a question I can't answer. 

Never in my 71 years on this planet, and having motorcycled and driven since 1964 can I ever remember a time when there is such a thoroughly lamentable selection of crepe. 

It's just hopeless. Families have been brainwashed into accepting crepe. So they do. Crushed roof hatchbacks for the masses. 

Although I said I'd never do it again, I think our next car will more than likely be an import with size and comfort. 

Depressing. Just glad our new '17 plate Yeti will last us a few years at least. 

2 hours ago, paco said:

Thanks, i think that is what i may do, but can you suggest where i could source one please?

Go to your dealer and ask him to look what will be coming available from the Skoda management fleet.

6 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

Go to your dealer and ask him to look what will be coming available from the Skoda management fleet.

good idea, ill give it a go.

2 hours ago, paco said:

I’d recommend looking on autotrader. You know what a Yeti is like inside and out so you won’t really need to view it in person. 

My point is, nearly all dealers will now deliver the car you want, to you, usually free of charge if you part ex your current Yeti. For example my current Citigo came from the bottom of the UK all the way upto Scarborough. A total of 300 miles, they delivered free as I traded my previous one in with them. 

All i I did was request a walk round video to look for any dents or scratches (none seen, none found when delivered)

My Citigo came from Sparshatts (Southampton area) which I highly recommend if you were to find an ideal Yeti there.

All middle ground manufacturers are chasing volume simply to survive.    A car with character is a problem due to it being only popular with a band of enthusiasts.......to be avoided sadly.

Model end of life? It was ever thus for the few who cherished a particular model or design. It happens all the time but most people are just not interested other than to have the latest model. Toyota Corollas turned out in their millions - 1st the same as the last? Not a chance - but most viewed that as a good thing - progress.

But for many on here that progress should have been a definite continuance of the line - not a generic multi-platform substitute. But that is what the mainstream market expects - and gets.

Me? Too many cars on my hit list I missed due to varying circumstances (sometimes as simple as my then current car also being on my hit list).

Two I particularly missed - Audi A2. Like the Yeti, didn't sell enough - lost out to the inferior Mercedes A class - hey, but that's sales for you.

The other? Mk5 Honda Prelude - achingly beautiful and well balanced. Had a younger limited edition MX5 at the time - what was I thinking.

But that's life.

Bill

• Like 1

My wife loathes the look of our Yeti BUT has to admit how versatile and comfortable it is. We got a desk and an adult bike in it, together,  earlier this month. 

Guest FurryFriend

Yeah. Says it all. 

Seats out, and you have an instant small van with an impressive amount  of space. We looked at a new Jeep initially.... What a joke. The seats don't fold fully, and you certainly can't get a flat floor loadspace, never mind remove them. 

Even the salesman had to admit that it was pretty useless. 

I want versatility and use from a car, not bling and style. 

I think the current designers have completely lost the plot. 

3 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I want versatility and use from a car, not bling and style.

Sadly, people like you and me are in the minority.  I am a big fan of the Yeti (which was massively outsold by the bling/style Qashqai), and a greater fan of the Roomster (which was outsold by almost every other MPV out there).  We have to appreciate Skoda is a volume car manufacturer attempting to design cars that appeal to the masses.  The minority of us who want versatility without a crushed roof will eventually have to look elsewhere.  In fact, my next "car" will probably be a van with windows.

3 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

I think the current designers have completely lost the plot. 

As a measure of the direction in which the designs of cars are currently heading, the latest MINI Clubman (according to Parkers) is an inch longer, and two inches wider, than the Yeti.  Perhaps the Yeti is irreplaceable?

Edited by Robjon

17 hours ago, paco said:

Look at the Approved Used pages on the Skoda UK web site, the ones the dealers have are listed there with a minimal amount of mileage shown (25 miles on two that I looked at recently).

Take a look at the new Volvo XC40 ... just had a test drive in one .... very similar in size to the Yeti, but not as "van" like, but I was impressed ..... worth a look, after all its only money and there are no pockets in a shroud!  Splash out .... you will never know what your missing  :tongueout:

Guest FurryFriend

Bottom line of it for me at least is this. 

My good wife and I spend probably 9 to 12 months deciding on a replacement car when one is due for replacement. It's something we never rush. After all were going to spend a significant amount of money. Our money. Hard cash. 

We have some non negotiable criteria. It must be automatic, it must be petrol, it must be 5 door, and it must be reasonably economical to run and maintain. It must have a good driving position, and be suitable for me at 6'1" and my wife at 5', as we both drive. It absolutely has to be comfortable for extensive journeys, often up to and over 1000 miles, and with fitted aircon and satnav. It must have space for our dog, so he can see out of the window too. He likes that! None of us want to feel cooped up. 

That's where the Yeti nailed it. 

Last time, we tried... Qashkai, Tucson, Vitara, Fiat500L, Grand Picasso, Jeep, Kuga, amongst many others. None fitted the bill...THE 500L was close but no satnav offered. Lots of disappointed main dealers, wasted test drives, time and effort, but such is life. 

A lot of our choice is made based on things we've liked in previous cars, and how they have served us during the time we've had them. Reviews from owners, and actual chats with owners when we get nearer to deciding. We really do our homework. For example I hate doors that sound tinny when I shut them. 

We then look at every manufacturers other offerings that fit our price range.

And at the moment, I'd not be buying anything.

That's how lousy the choice is........

So the manufacturers can pump this all SUV nonsense all they like. We will never be going offroad to surf, sail, dive, horseride through canyons, have 3 bikes on the roof or any of it. We did all that with REAL Land Rovers (as opposed to Chelsea Tractors) and Toyota Land Cruisers years ago...  We want a CAR like the Yeti.... Is that really so difficult? 

If 90% of the population that drive want mongy vehicles, fine. I don't. 

I know I can be a funny old stick sometimes, but when I'm spending up to £30,000 of OUR money, I want what I want.... Not what they're trying to tell me I should be happy with. That's a 100% NO SALE. 

Edited by FurryFriend

1 hour ago, FurryFriend said:

Bottom line of it for me at least is this. 

My good wife and I spend probably 9 to 12 months deciding on a replacement car when one is due for replacement. It's something we never rush. After all were going to spend a significant amount of money. Our money. Hard cash. 

We have some non negotiable criteria. It must be automatic, it must be petrol, it must be 5 door, and it must be reasonably economical to run and maintain. It must have a good driving position, and be suitable for me at 6'1" and my wife at 5', as we both drive. It absolutely has to be comfortable for extensive journeys, often up to and over 1000 miles, and with fitted aircon and satnav. It must have space for our dog, so he can see out of the window too. He likes that! None of us want to feel cooped up. 

That's where the Yeti nailed it. 

Last time, we tried... Qashkai, Tucson, Vitara, Fiat500L, Grand Picasso, Jeep, Kuga, amongst many others. None fitted the bill. Lots of disappointed main dealers, wasted test drives, time and effort, but such is life. 

A lot of our choice is made based on things we've liked in previous cars, and how they have served us during the time we've had them. Reviews from owners, and actual chats with owners when we get nearer to deciding. We really do our homework. For example I hate doors that sound tinny when I shut them. 

We then look at every manufacturers other offerings that fit our price range.

And at the moment, I'd not be buying anything.

That's how lousy the choice is........

So the manufacturers can pump this all SUV nonsense all they like. We will never be going offroad to surf, sail, dive, horseride through canyons, have 3 bikes on the roof or any of it. We did all that with real Land Rovers and Toyota Land Cruisers years ago...  We want a CAR likecthe Yeti...... .  Is that really so difficult? 

If 90% of the population that drive want mongy vehicles, fine. I don't. 

I know I can be a funny old stick sometimes, but when I'm spending up to £30,000 of OUR money, I want what I want.... Not what they're trying to tell me I should be happy with. 

That's why I bought a new Yeti to my spec just before they went out of production. I generally keep cars for 6 years then after extensive research replace with something me and my wife both like . Like you I looked at many, many Yeti "equivalents" and couldn't find one that fitted our purpose as well as a Yeti - so we bought another! Hopefully in 6 years time there will be something we like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wet Kipper said:

To be fair, if you go to http://www.skoda.co.uk/used-cars from their front page then just now it 404s when you click on the "Explore Used Skoda Yeti" button.  If you click on any of the other models listed then you get another page from where you can click on a "Used Car Finder" button which takes you to the link you posted from where you can specify the Yeti as the model you're looking for.

Note that the ones in your screenshot shown as location "Seafield" are being sold by Arnold Clark :o

• Like 1

Yo!    got the web site now thanks Wet Kipper and ejstubbs, I'm going to view one of the Yeti's tomorrow :cool:

• Like 1