Karoq

Zealboy

Had my Karoq for 2 weeks, generally very pleased, but rear doors are part of real wheel arches and collect all the mud and dirt on inside edge. 

Seems like poor design, anyone other than me noticed this?

52 minutes ago, Zealboy said:

Had my Karoq for 2 weeks, generally very pleased, but rear doors are part of real wheel arches and collect all the mud and dirt on inside edge. 

That is an interesting observation, and does not sound like a positive feature at all.  Simply daft??

Things like this only show up during real-life  ownership and it shows up the value of a site like this!

Oh my goodness. Having read about the Ateca I cannot believe VAG have learnt nothing. A fried has a Q2 and similar issues.

Will teach me to buy a car unseen as I ordered in October.

Like the car but this is going to irritate me. My passengers are not happy either with mud on their legs

Edited by Zealboy
Poor spelling

3 hours ago, Zealboy said:

I have rear flaps fitted. Front flaps are awaited as they were unavailable at release. 

It's a design feature I have never come across before.

so there no point in fitting mud flaps to reduce the dirt? cause now i am split 50/50 get or not, wasnt going to consider till i red your comments

6 hours ago, Zealboy said:

Well, that is something that has been carried over from the Yeti!

Mine (in the Yeti) never gets as bad as the examples on the Ateca site (look as though they have been rallying!) but dirt is held along the door edge. Clear plastic has been applied on later models to protect the paintwork from rubbing and corrosion but it isn't an ideal solution and it's a poor show that it hasn't been addressed with the Ateca and Karoq.

Surely this would have been picked up with all the testing that manufacturers carry out!! As said on the Ateca site don't VWG ever learn?

When out and about yesterday I kept looking at the rear doors and arches on SUV's! Some have the traditional horizontal joint between arch and door but many, as already said, do have the vertical joint.

Was parked next to a Tiguan, which had the plastic wheel arch covers, and they go over the gap, so no problem there. Hopefully the Karoq ones do as well?

I don't think flaps will help much, as when going over muddy roads/tracks at lower speeds, the mud etc. will be flung from the whole circumference of the wheels including straight at the arch/door gap.

I have both the Karoq and Yeti Outdoor sitting side by side in the garage. Construction of both is similar and it's never been a particular problem in the Yeti. The only real difference is the trim at the bottom of the Karoq door and I could see that the crap may build up between the trim and the door if you don't keep on top of the cleaning. Certainly never seen anything as bad as the Ateca on the Yeti. I think construction is the same on the Kodiaq as well.

8 hours ago, VAGCF said:

Was parked next to a Tiguan, which had the plastic wheel arch covers, and they go over the gap, so no problem there. Hopefully the Karoq ones do as well?

you mean like this?

image.thumb.png.afc7c70a19c2858b476f802a56ddf7a5.png

On 1/31/2018 at 19:44, Zealboy said:

Oh my goodness. Having read about the Ateca I cannot believe VAG have learnt nothing. A fried has a Q2 and similar issues.

Will teach me to buy a car unseen as I ordered in October.

Like the car but this is going to irritate me. My passengers are not happy either with mud on their legs

I've also been investigating th Audi Q2 - this is different as the rear door is not part of the rear wheel arch:-

Rear seat room seems rather restricted  though

11 minutes ago, bone_tone said:

You can add this to the design fault I found, where the lack of rain gutters means water pours onto the seats when you open the doors!

Always been a problem with Seat, with my Leon water pours not only on the seats and you get water marks on them, but all down the door cards onto the inside door pull handles and window switches. Trick is to open the door slightly at first and let the rain run down without the wind blowing it into your car. Thought that might of disappeared with my next car, then Ateca and Karoq are very similar so if Seat haven’t learnt by now then......Skoda won’t of.

Well I lived with it for 3 years, another 3 years and I might become the norm.

1 minute ago, Karman said:

Always been a problem with Seat, with my Leon water pours not only on the seats and you get water marks on them, but all down the door cards onto the inside door pull handles and window switches. Trick is to open the door slightly at first and let the rain run down without the wind blowing it into your car. Thought that might of disappeared with my next car, then Ateca and Karoq are very similar so if Seat haven’t learnt by now then......Skoda won’t of.

Well I lived with it for 3 years, another 3 years and I might become the norm.

Thanks for the tip! But this is 2018 for goodness sake. Are new cars never tested for different weather conditions? A premium car in so many ways, yet.....

16 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

Thanks for the tip! But this is 2018 for goodness sake. Are new cars never tested for different weather conditions? A premium car in so many ways, yet.....

Hmm , we’ve had plenty of rain since we we picked up the car and it hasn’t resulted in any rain getting on the seats when opening the doors but ymmv

12 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I've also been investigating th Audi Q2 - this is different as the rear door is not part of the rear wheel arch:-

Rear seat room seems rather restricted  though

I tried out the Q2 and Q3, I'm 6'1", and it was only when I tried the Q5 that I found as much room in the back as my much smaller Yeti. 

I found the driving position fine in them all but the seating position is lower than the Yeti and hence the effect on rear legroom.

My favourite so far is the Tiguan but it's so darn big!

9 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

I tried out the Q2 and Q3, I'm 6'1", and it was only when I tried the Q5 that I found as much room in the back as my much smaller Yeti. 

I found the driving position fine in them all but the seating position is lower than the Yeti and hence the effect on rear legroom.

My favourite so far is the Tiguan but it's so darn big!

Looked at the Tiguan - for a big bus the boot is really shallow

What I'm trying to find is a vehicle that is as refined as a Superb, can cope with someone in the rear who is 6ft5" (my son!) ,  boot is big enough for our luggage (we have dietary issues so when touring Europe carry two foldable plastic boxes , an electric cool box + suitcases and my wife likes driving it (she finds the Superb toooo big)

The Karoq comes pretty close except for those fold up tables behind the front seats

My other issue at the moment is car seats. Being a "large framed" 6ft 4" I'm finding a lot of recent cars have over bolstered seats for me. My Superb I was perfect but it has gone downhill since then. Saying that lower models of the Superb III seem OK and the Karoq seemed pretty good. I've tried allsorts of cars today (VW, Audi, Volvo) and even the Volvo's were a problem. 

Trouble is I think you have already found your ideal car i.e.  large estate. Well, apart from your wife not liking it.

I've had Passats and an A6 and you can't beat the interior and boot space. I realised when thinking about an SUV that the boot space would be smaller but this wasn't a problem as even though I often have four in the car when we go away it's usually just the two of us and plenty of room for luggage.

As we are finding, even to get decent space inside, apart from the Karoq, we are having to look at quite large SUV's and to match a Superb quite possibly a Q7 which is eliminated on size and likely the cost. So I think you have an impossible task.

My size of car is being limited by my wife as well, particularly as she will be driving it more than the Yeti and on that basis it will probably be a Karoq - gotta sort those tables out though!

Is a roof box an option for you?

Is the Kodiak too big for your wife as that will be better than a Karoq?