TSR abnormalities

TSR overrides map data. I had the same issue with a 50 sign which consistently read as 90. Think they have since cleaned the sign and it correctly reads now.

On the whole, I've found it to be very accurate in most cases.

6 minutes ago, xman said:

Poor software yet again. They should program knowing the maximum UK national speed limit is 70mph so 80 or 90 cannot exist.

Yeah I agree, it read 100 over the weekend, most probably a 100kph sign on the back of a lorry.

Mine very rarely does that. But it does occasionally pick up a 40 sign on my commute home which is a sign used for Westbound traffic when the road is used as single carriageway if the Westbound only tunnel is closed. You can see it as you exit the tunnel because it’s elevated and if I’m in lane 2, the car sometimes picks up the 40 sign, otherwise mine is very accurate, right down to the 10 mph sign in the uni car park. It does pick up 100 kph and the like signs from buses and lorries sometimes but that’s an expected error I would say as it would be very hard for the camera to discriminate a lorry from normal road furniture. If the signs are deteriorating or dirty it will struggle, but again, that is an expectation and understandable in the circumstances IMO.

• Like 1

It's not coded to translate signs from MPH to KPH, it just reads signs. I suppose a restriction could be placed to only read up to 70 MPH when the car is in the UK but that's not how the system works, though I agree it would be helpful in ignoring red herring signs. They set the lights to LH/RH traffic and cars with GPS know where they are so I see no reason why it couldn't be done.

Its probably because the system is designed to be independant from other optional features so

e.g. in some markets you could spec a TRL without having integrated navigation.

Its perhaps also a conscious decision as these kind of functional things differentiate a VW or Audi from Skoda or Seat.

mine often picks up 100, from the signs on the back of some continental trucks

interestingly recently there was (in Roadworks) on the M1 near Garforth, Leeds a temporary 55mph limit, proper signage too. TSR didnt recognise  the 55!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johnrowley said:

mine often picks up 100, from the signs on the back of some continental trucks

interestingly recently there was (in Roadworks) on the M1 near Garforth, Leeds a temporary 55mph limit, proper signage too. TSR didnt recognise  the 55!

I don’t think 55 is in the database, only 50 and 60 which is an oversight.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think TSR was ever available as a factory enabled option for the UK Market. So if we all have it but have enabled it ourselves, in a market not necessarily intended to use it, I guess we can't complain too much if it occasionally throws a few oddities :cool:

17 minutes ago, Happydays said:

How do you go about activating this feature?

You need to edit the electronic code of the car using a dongle, either Android based (OBDeleven = ££) or Windows based (VCDS = ££££). Also, need to do some reading into how to go about it. There are multiple threads in the forum.

Alternatively, hope there's someone near to you with either device who is willing to help you out!