Cold breeze across lap when steering left... Not kidding!

Hi all,

I have a '67 plate 1.4TSI estate SE L. In the recent cold weather I am sure that when driving and I turn the steering wheel more than a quarter turn to the left I get a brief cold gust of air across my knees. Yes, seriously! I thought I was going mad the first couple of times i felt it.

Not sure if it happens all the time or not (more noticeable when the car is warm as you can feel the cold more obviously). I don't think it does it when making right turns. It doesn't really bother me that much (but enough to check it on here!) I just thought it was odd. When the steering is straightened up again I don't feel it. Could it be the seal on the steering column perhaps or movement in a plastic panel somewhere near the firewall? A gap in the movable steering wheel seals or something? I feel it most at 25-40 mph as I guess that is the sweet spot where you are still doing larger turns of the wheel and the car is moving fast enough for there to be a breeze of air coming in from somewhere.

Have meant to query it a few times but always forget.

I can't wait to see the answers to this query...

You know - I noticed the cold breeze too - on a brand new 1.8TSI facelift. I don't remember if it's while turning left or right, but it was there and I felt it. I also thought it was strange, but didn't bother...

Hi spinnaker 

I have the same thing on my motor. I have also had it before on a Mazda and a Honda. I think it must be fairly common. Can't think why it happens though, maybe something to do with how the hot water in the heater matrix moves to one side as you steer left, only a wild guess. A strange slightly annoying thing we have to live with. 

I've also noticed this in many cars. The other thing I thought about is direction of air - if there is warm air directed at you which is travelling in a straight line, then as you go round the corner/roundabout, the forced air carries on in that plane, but your body has effectively moved out of it: therefore you have the feeling of a cold draught whereas it's actually a lack of heat you're feeling. 

Yep, mine too.  My previous Superb did it, as did the Passat before that.  Wifey's '65 plate Polo GTI does it too.

I've mused that it might be cold stuff leaking from the refrigerated glovebox.

Gaz

Ah, okay. Thanks for the responses. Good to know that I am not going mad. It sounds like it is something across different cars as well rather than just my O3.

That could be a good shout from just music above. My best guess was that it might have been a rubber seal lifting on the steering column when turned letting a gust of air in from the outside.

Pure physics. 

Warm air goes up, cold is down like a water in the cup, and they don't mix that well if the difference of temperature is high. What happens in the cabin is same what happens with the cup of water when you shake it.

Not a feature of Octavia, should occur in any car.

• Thanks 1

^ Nice explanation.

So there's a 'pool' of cooler air in each footwell, and when you steer left some of the stuff in the passenger footwell is displaced over the centre console and  across your lap. Presumably for LHD cars it happens when steering right. 

Have this om my Superb and thought the passenger air cooled seats were playing up...As I kept getting wafts of cold air from somewhere....

Nice explanation:cool:   Another irritating problem solved:D

Get a "vaper" in your car and have him blow a cloud of vapour just before you make a turn...

You will see the airmass in your car moving around.

I suppose it's differences in density and g-forces that are at play.

• 1 month later...

I get this as well...but it's only ever happened on this Octavia! Didn't happen on the previous 2 MK2 Octys nor other makes of car I had.

Doesn't happen in our Fabia either.