How often should a dpf light come on for regen

Torque777

Done about 330 miles in our fabia 1.6 crtdi 90 and we have had the dpf light come on a couple of times but go out after 5 mins... How often should this happen? Is it normal? My Farther in law has a tiguan with the 2.0 crtdi and he's only seen his light twice in 30k 

How many miles a year do you drive in the Fabia?

The DPF light coming on usually means your driving syle doesn't suit or you have a fault (lots of sensors etc)

Normal regens (passive or active) do not show a fault light

Edited by bigjohn

We have only just bought it, we have allready had the flashing glow plug light and that was the pre dpf sensor and that was changed, but we have noticed it ticks over high at 1000rpm with the fan going, no other faults came up with a vcds scan  

I have a few questions and suggestions.  Firstly Was this bought from a main dealer or any dealer, and what is the mileage?

It takes a while for the database to update and I would imagine the car has had it done and the database isn’t updated yet. 

You need to drive the car car for about 15mins no say a dual carriageway with the revs above 2000rpm, this will perform a normal regen.  

The light coming on and on and off is usually the sign that the dpf is going to give up, I’m not saying that is the case, but it is a common tell-tale.

Check when the oil was last changed.  If it’s been doing short journeys in its former life then it will have diesel in it and will have thinned it out.  If it’s more than 6000 miles ago then I strongly recommend you get it changed at national tyres with a filter for £40.

Your rights as a buyer from a dealer are that they get one chance at a fix, if they don’t manage that then you can reject the vehicle.  If the dpf light is coming on and off then you are probably going to have a bit of a headache with the car to be honest.  If it was from a dealer I would do one of two things:

1). Reject the car because you aren’t happy with the fix and the known issues and expense of dpf faults.  Request a full refund.

2). Keep taking it back until they fit a new dpf and associated gubbins.

i would reject the car, get a refund and buy one with the Tsi engine, it’s brilliant.

4 hours ago, globalste said:

I have a few questions and suggestions.  Firstly Was this bought from a main dealer or any dealer, and what is the mileage?

It takes a while for the database to update and I would imagine the car has had it done and the database isn’t updated yet. 

You need to drive the car car for about 15mins no say a dual carriageway with the revs above 2000rpm, this will perform a normal regen.  

The light coming on and on and off is usually the sign that the dpf is going to give up, I’m not saying that is the case, but it is a common tell-tale.

Check when the oil was last changed.  If it’s been doing short journeys in its former life then it will have diesel in it and will have thinned it out.  If it’s more than 6000 miles ago then I strongly recommend you get it changed at national tyres with a filter for £40.

Your rights as a buyer from a dealer are that they get one chance at a fix, if they don’t manage that then you can reject the vehicle.  If the dpf light is coming on and off then you are probably going to have a bit of a headache with the car to be honest.  If it was from a dealer I would do one of two things:

1). Reject the car because you aren’t happy with the fix and the known issues and expense of dpf faults.  Request a full refund.

2). Keep taking it back until they fit a new dpf and associated gubbins.

i would reject the car, get a refund and buy one with the Tsi engine, it’s brilliant.

It was bought from a small independent garage and has 73k on it, it hasn't been to a main dealer for at least 3 years as it was serviced at a independent garage with a good reputation, it's not long had a service and has been serviced every 10k according to the service book, I might ring the local skoda dealer and see if they have any record of the update being applied to it

47 minutes ago, globalste said:

If you wanted a quick test to exclude gunk in valves and sensors, then try some Archoil 6400d, it’s magic stuff.  If you get any lights after using a tank of that then reject the car.

Where can you buy this and do you just add it to the fuel tank? 

Use the code “club”

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/shop-by-brand/archoil/fuel-treatment-cleaners/archoil-ar6400-d-pro-diesel-cleaner-pea-concentrate-639.html

its unlikely to have had the update if bought from a local garage.  The dpf has a lifetime of around 60k, so defo worth throwing a bottle of this stuff in, I’d probably get a twin pack and put it in the next 2 times you fill up. (If you’re going to keep it that is)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, globalste said:

Use the code “club”

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/shop-by-brand/archoil/fuel-treatment-cleaners/archoil-ar6400-d-pro-diesel-cleaner-pea-concentrate-639.html

its unlikely to have had the update if bought from a local garage.  The dpf has a lifetime of around 60k, so defo worth throwing a bottle of this stuff in, I’d probably get a twin pack and put it in the next 2 times you fill up. (If you’re going to keep it that is)

disagree with this.

the service manual says the DPF should be checked at 120,000 miles and then checked again every 10k miles.. mines at 92k now and no issues with DPF.

to answer OP's question - DPF light should not be coming on unless there is an issue. if it's at 1k revs and fans going it's trying to do a regen, ideally if this is happening take the car for a 'spirited' drive  15 miles or so to see if it clears. then revs should be around 700.

this is going to reoccur though if you're only doing short journeys - if this the case, take it back and get a petrol

Edited by Gissin
  • Like 2

Yes you’re right, I should add the caveat that 60k miles is when people notice it dying on the forums and on the Vag emissions website.

Edit: or maybe it was the EGR, all the same, it gets gummed up and quicker with short journeys.

Edited by globalste

have just seen on my dipstick that the oil level is above the upper level mark so i suspect that diesel fuel is getting into the sump my mechanic that services the car reckons its got about half a litre extra than it should have. again we do quite a few short journeys. these engines or should i say the emissions side of things do not like them! i also use Archoil as an additive its good stuff. have done 12700 miles in it so probably the dpf wants professionaly cleaned?? 

22 minutes ago, no1storekeeper said:

have just seen on my dipstick that the oil level is above the upper level mark so i suspect that diesel fuel is getting into the sump 

Be careful.

1)It's could be time to get it checked as I suspect you are already beyond the point that it'll sort itself with a long run or a pot of snake oil - dealer can run a forced re-gen but it'll need scanning to see if there are any other faulty sensors. Don't delay the inevitable otherwise you will need a new DPF (v expensive!)

2) Whatever happens - it's time for an oil change as the sump oil is polluted with diesel which won't evaporate and it's not very good at lubricating

3) If going forward you will only be doing low mileage - make sure you take it for a good run every week

Edited by bigjohn

11 minutes ago, no1storekeeper said:

it regens about every 300 to350 miles is this too often? is it because the dpf is getting full of ash? have always used the recomended oil and been serviced every 10000 mls regardless of the service reminder

OOps - have confused you with the Original Poster who was showing the DPF light sometimes

Regens every few hundred miles can be normal especially if you have had the fix

However - If it's having lots of failed active re-gens it'll keep trying and injecting extra diesel on the alternative stroke to fire the DPF. Some of this runs down the bores , especially when the engine starts wearing - ultimately this is not great for the oil. 

Modern diesels aren't great for lots of short runs. Take it for a good long trip and get the oil changed again soon.

Edited by bigjohn

The DPF will give a warning light if it is over 50% full and go out when the regeneration process has reduced this to to 25%. The DPF will be passively regenerated at motorway cruising speed (2000rpm). If you do not do enough of this type of mileage the car will perform an active regeneration to burn off the particles collected in the DPF. 

22 hours ago, no1storekeeper said:

when you say failed active regen is that when its regenerating  you stop the engine before it finishes 

Yes - or stops for another reason

Edited by bigjohn

22 hours ago, m8t said:

The DPF will be passively regenerated at motorway cruising speed (2000rpm). 

There is no way any passive regeneration occurs while motorway cruising, you just don't get the temperature required.

I have a 2010 1.6TDI and have owned it from virtually new, it has done around 47k now which i know is not a lot, i only use it to go to work and back and that is around 13 miles away, so no spirited driving, no long runs .... nothing. It regens just fine and has done since i got it 8 years ago (ish), since  i have had it, it has never been to a Skoda dealer and gets serviced every year at my local (trusted) indy, i have never had the DPF light come on in all this time and i know it regens on a regular basis because i can '' feel '' it when at traffic lights and in neutral, the engine pitch is different and i can sense a very slight shake. I would be getting this light coming on all the time checked out asap as i can not see how this is normal.

Edited by Hudson1
  • Thanks 1