In administration

Macdemon

It’s sad, however some of these businesses were borrowing/spending unsustainably. Others were loaded by debts from rediculous leveraged buy outs.

Some just have high cost bases and an unsuccessful business model.

Some are indeed good business that have been shafted by various factors.

As said if a food restaurant serves poor food or offers poor service, then they won’t survive. That isn’t a bad thing, just business.

In the other hand the large variance of rates for front line vs warehouse business is poor.

That and other things need fixing, but to imagine businesses will stop going under would be naive.

On 29/01/2020 at 21:25, moley said:

Norton Motorcycles goes into administration

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51303905

this one is looky nasty.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jan/30/taken-for-a-ride-how-norton-motorcycles-collapsed-amid-acrimony-and-scandal

Also Beales. Perth just got a Beales a couple of years ago to replace an even older department stor, McEwens. It seems to be a defunct model. The only people that went onto McEwens were pensioners who weren't big spenders. Beales seemed to attract the same clientel with similar predictable results. I went in once. IT was very old fashioned, couldn't find anything and left without spending or any desire to go back. Similar story from other visitors.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51176418

Debehams is on the edge as well allegedly.

• Sad 1

One thing that people may not take into account that can affect whether you buy from them or not is who they use to deliver their products.

With the number of issues I have experienced over the years with Royal Mail I will try and avoid buying from shops and online sellers if they use them for their deliveries.  In the last week I have complained to RM about them taking 10 days to deliver a 48Hr Track and Trace (they found in my favour, apologised and re-imbursed me my costs).  The current complaint involved a failed delivery which came up on their Track and Trace as a "We attempted to make a delivery today, but it would appear no one was in."  First of all I was in and no 'sorry we issed you' letter was posted through the letter box.  Again they have apologised, and advised me to arrange a redelivery.  They conveniently ignored my request to confirm when the attempted delivery was made so I could check my CCTV, or answer why no 'sorry you weren't in letter' was left.

I've informed the seller of the above and suggested they change courier.

On 29/01/2020 at 22:25, moley said:

Norton Motorcycles goes into administration

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51303905

If brexit had happened sooner maybe Norton could have survived.
Ironic that they went into administration a couple of days before the UK left.

"I believe we will thrive outside the EU. There may be some short-term speed bumps but we'll come out of it stronger."

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/norton-motorcycles-goes-into-administration-1-6496163?utm_source=Facebook

As for Norton I think they’ve been robbing Peter to pay Paul, not realising how expensive it is now to develop and get a bike into production. Some of the means of getting cash flowing has been at the least shady to illegal. 

Edited by Chris
Personal attacks not welcome.

16 hours ago, CWARD said:

As for Norton I think they’ve been robbing Peter to pay Paul, not realising how expensive it is now to develop and get a bike into production. Some of the means of getting cash flowing has been at the least shady to illegal. 

I might be a Remainer but I'm not sure Brexit has much of a impact on this one. By the sounds of it Norton's accounts were pretty dodgy if not unlawful

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Aspman said:

I might be a Remainer but I'm not sure Brexit has much of a impact on this one. By the sounds of it Norton's accounts were pretty dodgy if not unlawful

Had you meant to reply to Lee as I never mention Brexit or the EU?

9 minutes ago, CWARD said:

Had you meant to reply to Lee as I never mention Brexit or the EU?

Yep sorry, I meant to do a multiple quote but fluffed it.

• Like 1

I think the other problem with Norton was that most people didn't realise they hadn't gone out of business 30 years ago. I've just had a look and it looks like they were building some great looking bikes that no one had ever heard of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

Ikea to close its Coventry branch due consistent losses. All staff hoping to be relocated. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51369413

Not going into administration or  anything  to do with Brexit before the doom and gloom brigade start posting. 

The store is in a stupid location in the centre of the city. 

That's its issue. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

You can never do right for doing wrong!

Have out of town Malls and Hyper stores and be accused of only suiting car owners and have a Hyperstore in a city and there is not enough custom.

If you know the area like I actually do, you would understand why it's not profitable where it is and why footfall is low. ;)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

The store is in a stupid location in the centre of the city. 

That's its issue. 

Wrong Coventry folk are stupid for not using it we have to travel to Nottingham for our nearest store. They didn't know how lucky they were or just ordered stuff online for home delivery. There is a saying in Leicester you don't choose to live in Coventry you get sent there as a form of punishment.

That Ikea seems to have been a bit of an experiment.

Who is going to walk into an Ikea without a car? Their whole model is set up for you to drive there and load up with stuff. Their Delivery is very expensive (admittedly it's worth paying to avoid it coming by bloody Yodel etc, you'd find your new bed dumped in your neighbours bin) so it's a bit of niche option.

I've used their delivery before but only for big orders

Edited by Aspman

5 minutes ago, gadgetman said:

Assume then the rumours of building one at Fosse Park are just that? 

Surely MK is just as close? 

Not heard the Fosse Park rumour that would be handy as it's 13 miles from us and only 4 miles from my parents. MK is 54 miles from us.

1 minute ago, Aspman said:

That Ikea seems to have been a bit of an experiment.

There's a similar IKEA in Southampton that uses the same model. Multi-level rather than the normal two levels and in the city centre.
It's a right PITA shopping there especially if there's a few cruises leaving or arriving. Even worse when Saints are playing at home and cruise ships in the docks.
There's a train station close by but not really helpful if you're after a Billy bookcase or a Pax wardrobe lol
I said for years it would have been better suited to land on the outskirts close to the M27 junction. 

1 minute ago, Lee01 said:

There's a similar IKEA in Southampton that uses the same model. Multi-level rather than the normal two levels and in the city centre.
It's a right PITA shopping there especially if there's a few cruises leaving or arriving. Even worse when Saints are playing at home and cruise ships in the docks.
There's a train station close by but not really helpful if you're after a Billy bookcase or a Pax wardrobe lol
I said for years it would have been better suited to land on the outskirts close to the M27 junction. 

At least they can sell it and convert it easily into more city parking. 

Although no one is using the new one nearby in Swan Street yet. Always empty. 

• Like 1

I was going to mention the Ikea at Southhampton being the same format but Lee had beaten me to it. It might survive from all those people going on cruises stocking up on Dime bars before departure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

I was going to mention the Ikea at Southhampton being the same format but Lee had beaten me to it. It might survive from all those people going on cruises stocking up on Dime bars before departure.

Don't forget Ikea's excellent wooden coat hangers.

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

The main difference is that the Southampton IKEA is over 3 floors and not 7 like the Coventry one.

When I lived in Southampton we just timed our visits to IKEA to avoid football matches or cruise changeover days - simples!

My record quickest visit to IKEA in Southampton is 15 minutes from entering the car park to leaving the car park with the parts I needed to finish our kitchen safely in the car boot.

19 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The main difference is that the Southampton IKEA is over 3 floors and not 7 like the Coventry one.

I'll get someone over there with cans of yellow and blue paint to correct their floor numbering error ;) 

depositphotos_152561116-stock-photo-entrance-to-southampton-ikea-store.jpg