Pedalbox

have picked up my 2.0 tdi vrs can anyone give me some advice on the DTUK Pedalbox some say its a must have others say no difference than pressing the pedal harder any advice would be good thanks

Anyone who says it's no different to pressing the throttle a little harder want their head testing. It's the best thing I ever bought . I bought the tunning box then the pedal box . I wish I would have bought them the other way around then I wouldn't have bought the tunning box . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wurly said:

Thank you i think the pedalbox is something i would like so am glad for your help Thank you

have just ordered the box on line what setting do you reckon as you seem to know your stuff Thanks

All the box does is mean it gives more of a signal earlier on so for example 20% of the travel will equate to what would have been say 50% before adding the box. So press the pedal to 50% without the box and you will get the same acceleration as 20% with the box. It will feel more urgent since you get the acceleration a millisecond or so quicker but it is not going to be going any quicker.

• Thanks 1

I normally have mine on sport plus 1. Yes. You don't get anymore power but it feels far better to drive from standard. When I took my tuning box off I left the pedal box on and it still felt good to drive but with both off it's like a taxi and left me wondering why I bought a diesel vrs in the first place just a very dull ride. There will be people who say yeah stick your foot down harder but until you drive with one you can't really comment. There is plenty of good comments regarding them just have a search. 

Edited by arnold
  • Thanks 1

The pedalbox takes back the control which VAG software engineers took off you.

The time delay (integral control) element is especially pronounced in Eco Mode but, is also there in Normal Mode, it can be most annoying when you see a gap but, the throttle 'says no'

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, arnold said:

Anyone who says it's no different to pressing the throttle a little harder want their head testing. It's the best thing I ever bought . I bought the tunning box then the pedal box . I wish I would have bought them the other way around then I wouldn't have bought the tunning box . 

i agree with this. i bought both at the same time.

there is an Audi mod that works on the skoda does a similar thing, but the box makes driving experience a whole different ball game.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your help with this subject on the Pedalbox,i will look forward to trying it when it arrives,have read some found it a problem to fit but i have looked and the plug is simple to get at and i dont think there will be a problem fitting it.Thanks All Wurly

As mentioned, there are a couple of coding changes that you can do for free that will change the way the throttle responds - it should be (minus the level of configuration) the same as a pedal box.

At least on my experience and after a couple of codings, my car now shoots forward when I smash the throttle, as it should have always done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaco2k said:

As mentioned, there are a couple of coding changes that you can do for free that will change the way the throttle responds - it should be (minus the level of configuration) the same as a pedal box.

At least on my experience and after a couple of codings, my car now shoots forward when I smash the throttle, as it should have always done.

A couple of coding changes? please enlighten us, as the ‘Audi throttle mod’ is just one change.

Whilst this makes the car drive much better by removing most of the lag the ‘pedalbox’ improves it further.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

A couple of coding changes? please enlighten us, as the ‘Audi throttle mod’ is just one change.

Whilst this makes the car drive much better by removing most of the lag the ‘pedalbox’ improves it further.

there's also a mod to limit the amount the car interferes with the torque to stop wheel spin (not esp) AFAIK there's an amount of 'hold back' (its been discussed on alot of VW sites) that limits the amount of torque, it has nothing to do with the throttle mod. Ill see if i can find the thread.

• Thanks 1

I found the pedal box really good to - in theory pressing the pedal harder is the same thing but in reality it makes the car much better.

for me in a manual it was excellent, money well spent.  For a DSG it didn’t work so well.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, JohnnyType2 said:

there's also a mod to limit the amount the car interferes with the torque to stop wheel spin (not esp) AFAIK there's an amount of 'hold back' (its been discussed on alot of VW sites) that limits the amount of torque, it has nothing to do with the throttle mod. Ill see if i can find the thread.

Please do, I've just done the Audi throttle mod, it's hard to compare as I guess I'm trying too hard to avoid a placebo effect, but it does seem to pick up quicker. Car is stuck in Individual mode with drive mode in Normal for now as I have no radio, so I can't see which mode I'm changing the car to! Will see if I can change it to Sport later and really give it a go :)

8 hours ago, Gizmo said:

There is a "throttle mod" and an "Audi mod" - both affect the throttle.

I am typing from phone now, so I will "enlighten" you when I am near a computer :)

...but if you want to search threads started by me, I started a thread on each one of these different mods.

8 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Here you go - two different mods (I have done both combined)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Please do, I've just done the Audi throttle mod, it's hard to compare as I guess I'm trying too hard to avoid a placebo effect, but it does seem to pick up quicker. Car is stuck in Individual mode with drive mode in Normal for now as I have no radio, so I can't see which mode I'm changing the car to! Will see if I can change it to Sport later and really give it a go :)

Well I can’t exit individual mode until my radio comes back it seems, but the good news is that the car feels much better. The bad news is that the Audi mod threw up a load of errors and my cruise control wouldn’t work. I reversed the mod, my cruise control came back and I changed the throttle settings as linked by @Jaco2k above and that seems fine. Also turned XDS interaction down to normal which has made a massive difference. Shame I can’t seem to run the Audi mod as well as it seems to affect too many systems on my car :sadsmile:

Edited by SashaGrace

12 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Well I can’t exit individual mode until my radio comes back it seems, but the good news is that the car feels much better. The bad news is that the Audi mod threw up a load of errors and my cruise control wouldn’t work. I reversed the mod, my cruise control came back and I changed the throttle settings as linked by @Jaco2k above and that seems fine. Also turned XDS interaction down to normal which has made a massive difference. Shame I can’t seem to run the Audi mod as well as it seems to affect too many systems on my car :sadsmile:

Sasha have you done all these with the OBDeleven you are using?

Edited by Janno1

14 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Well I can’t exit individual mode until my radio comes back it seems, but the good news is that the car feels much better. The bad news is that the Audi mod threw up a load of errors and my cruise control wouldn’t work. I reversed the mod, my cruise control came back and I changed the throttle settings as linked by @Jaco2k above and that seems fine.

Exactly the same happened to me, it seems changing the engine ECU coding to Audi breaks communication with the cruise control, ABS et al so I've only got the other throttle settings too.

2 hours ago, Janno1 said:

Sasha have you done all these with the OBDeleven you are using?

Yes I have. All coding I have done has been on OBDEleven, it is proving a useful low cost alternative to VCDS. If only it could do adaptation channel mapping...

24 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Exactly the same happened to me, it seems changing the engine ECU coding to Audi breaks communication with the cruise control, ABS et al so I've only got the other throttle settings too.

I wonder why some have managed to keep the mod on the car and some haven’t? As cruise is standard on the vRS from MY14 onward, I wonder what the issue is?

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

I wonder why some have managed to keep the mod on the car and some haven’t? As cruise is standard on the vRS from MY14 onward, I wonder what the issue is?

Diesel vs Petrol? Dunno...

Might be it only works on the petrol VRS

• Like 1

Dunno, @SWBoy‘s car is a Petrol as well. Whatever it is, my car doesn’t like it! I have decided that over the summer I am going to be putting my much loved Mercedes up for sale and after it sells I won’t be replacing it, as it just doesn’t get used. At that point I will be looking at a remap for the Octy anyway, as I know it’s a diesel and I don’t have huge experience of TDi power, but it just feels a bit flat for a car with 180 bhp. Maybe I’m just used to flexing my toes and releasing nearly 400 bhp to a pair of rear tyres and an ESP system that just can’t cope with it, but the diesel vRS, even with the throttle and XDS tweak and the best will in the world doesn’t feel all that quick. I knew that when I bought it, but I had it set that I would keep the Merc. That’s only done 180 miles this year as I’m so busy, so it’ll go and the Octy needs to step up to the plate and give me the power fix I’ll be missing! TSi power would have been preferred, but it’d mean losing 10 MPG over 25kpa miles and easily another £4-5k on top of what I paid for mine to have bought a comparable petrol one. It didn’t stack up to go petrol sadly, unless it was the 1.4 but I really wanted a vRS.

On 04/03/2018 at 18:27, Jaco2k said:

Here you go - two different mods (I have done both combined)

Thanks, I will try the ‘Linear acceleration mod’ on it’s own and then combined with the ‘Audi mod’ (and my pedalbox turned off) over the weekend hopefully.

• Like 1

I can't recommend the DTUK pedal box enough as it totally changes the driving experience of the VRS.
I've had mine fitted for around two and half years now and it transforms the action of the accelerator pedal, I found the original set up hard/heavy to use, now it's light and so much more responsive and easier to control.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1