Aftermarket spare wheel options

Panther_uk

Regarding wheel size interestingly the overall diameter of the space saver is about 20mm smaller that the real wheel (17" rim on my SE Tech) so looks slightly odd. Drives ok with it on though

8 minutes ago, solarfusion said:

Regarding wheel size interestingly the overall diameter of the space saver is about 20mm smaller that the real wheel (17" rim on my SE Tech) so looks slightly odd. Drives ok with it on though

Bet it looks a bit more than odd, skinny rear wheel :giggle:

Really dreading if I have to use mine ! :ohmy:

23 hours ago, womanofkent said:

UPDATE

Dealer got back to me and he can get the spare wheel as individual parts, some in a couple of days the only thing problematic is the jack which will have to come from Czech so I will take delivery of most of it probably by Saturday total price £195.55.

Not too bad given it's a £150 option.

that's what I thought especially as we had been told it would be about £260, maybe that's if they buy it as a kit as initially I was told it wasn't available, thanks to members on this forum I knew better :tongueout:

Sorry another update went to collect spare wheel today the jack wasn't supposed to be there but the parts chap had found a different code for it.

Total price was £187.41 all in.

Part number

4D0012219A   Wrench         14.67

5Q0011221     Crank              6.20

575012109G   Tool Box         7.01

3G0803899B   bolt               13.40

5Q0011031E   jack                24.90

5K0601011AA sparewheel  90.00

plus vat                                   31.23

hope this helps someone who has been told spare wheel packs not available, as that is the official line by Skoda

• Thanks 2

On 08/06/2018 at 11:10, Panther_uk said:

Bet it looks a bit more than odd, skinny rear wheel :giggle:

Really dreading if I have to use mine ! :ohmy:

Yep looked pretty odd especially when it was up on the ramp. The space saver spare is about half the width of the original. It drove surprisingly well with it on (the rear).

• 2 weeks later...

After taking out my spare for my polo, I’m wondering whether that may fit into

the Karoq? 

If so all I need to get then is everything else, easy? 

The size is 125/70/18 seems it falls in line with what I’ve seen advertised for them. 

13 hours ago, MarcusKaroq said:

After taking out my spare for my polo, I’m wondering whether that may fit into

the Karoq? 

If so all I need to get then is everything else, easy? 

The size is 125/70/18 seems it falls in line with what I’ve seen advertised for them. 

Check out the stud pattern/PCD, my Octavia spare would fit a mk3 Fabia (both 5 stud)

For example Karoq PCD is 5x112, Polo is 5x100.

http://www.wheelfitment.eu/car.html might help

6 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Check out the stud pattern/PCD, my Octavia spare would fit a mk3 Fabia (both 5 stud)

Dam don’t sound good lol. 

Maybe one consulation is that I could sell that to put towards one for the Karoq.

10 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Check out the stud pattern/PCD, my Octavia spare would (NOT !!!!) fit a mk3 Fabia (both 5 stud)

Just wanted to correct this !!

And yes sell the spare and get a Karaq one  ;)

• 6 months later...

Slight Update to this, tried to order the parts separately as Womanofkent did but was told by the parts dept that the wheel could no longer be ordered separately! They could order me the kit for £260.00.

Tried TPS, they could order all the bits separately for over £400.00!  So went to speak to Seat and ordered the Ateca spare wheel kit for £179.00, from everything I have read this is exactly the same kit as for the Karoq so hopefully a few pounds saved and only £29.00 more than the factory fit and will still have the gunk and compressor as well if I get really desperate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have just bought a kit that has a space saver tyre with jack, wrench and foam blocks and the bit that screws it to the floor pan in the boot and it seems to work really well.

The tyre is a T125/70 R18 and it fits snuggly under the boot floor (I have a 2WD) and there is even a little cap that fits over the screw that holds the wheel down to support the boot floor

The kit is an offical skoda kit as it came in a skoda branded box and was from my local main dealer.

(sorry for poor quality of the picture, it is dark now and the flash on my phone is a bit wonky!)

picture.jpg

Interestingly mine has a different arrangement for the parts. I have the 4x4 so must have the skinny spare.

I also have Varioflex seats and this kit is for the fixed seats - however all you have to do is cut out 3 slots in the polystyrene to accommodate the seat handles (seen in the top of the picture).

I got the parts from TPS Brighton as follows:-

Spare wheel            Part no 57A601011A       £131.86 + VAT  (8% discount)

Spare wheel kit       Part no 57A093860A       £73.62 + VAT   (5% discount)

I also have something from Skoda saying the entire kit (with the above part numbers) is their Part Number ZGBBOMO84SK  and costs £250 incl VAT, but it 'MUST be fitted after vehicle registration on any WLTP tested M-Category (Passenger) vehicle'.

20180801_170423.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have a 2WD Karoq SE-L with the Varioflex seats, and it came with a skinny spare wheel (125/70/R18)  - see attached photo.  As there seem to be so many different combinations available, does anybody know which specific parts would be required in order to be able to put a full size spare wheel in the boot well, instead of the skinny one?  I don't mind losing a bit of boot depth to accommodate the full size wheel/tyre.  I originally tried to order the car with a full sized spare wheel when I bought the car brand new, but it wasn't an option - I think I read somewhere that this is due to the Varioflex seats taking up a bit more space than the standard seats.  My sister has a 2WD Karoq SE without the Varioflex seats, and hers came with a full-size spare wheel.  But I think I also read somewhere that it's possible to put a full size tyre in, and that you just need to cut away a bit of the polystyrene around the Varioflex seat handles.  I was hoping that I could just buy a cheap set of polystyrene inserts and re-use all of the other existing parts, but that's probably over-optimistic!

Skinny wheel on SE-L with Varioflex seats.jpg

I went through the spare wheel saga with my previous 1.0L Karoq. At one stage it was possible when factory ordering to specify a ‘full size spare wheel’ for £250, which was an actual alloy wheel, but only as factory order at the time. This option has now disappeared. I later ordered the ‘temporary steel spare wheel for £150, is 215/60 R16, and came with polystyrene boxes and central support, which raises the boot floor to almost door level. I now have this kit in my 1.5 SE DSG, I have measured the overall size of the 215/60 R16, and it is virtually the same size overall to within a couple of millimetres of the diameter of the 215/50 R18 of my car. So I imagine a full size alloy spare would fit in the same place.

The polystyrene raised surrounds are apparently available to order separately, and you would need a longer centre spindle, which supports the centre of the boot floor, if you go back over the previous spare wheel postings over the months , they have become separated under different headings, the part numbers are there and numerous pictures.
Also if you download the Accessories brochure from the website, it shows a picture of a ‘Spare Wheel Kit’ for £250, but no mention of size.

Edited by bohmer
Add info

Given that the only purpose of the spare wheel is to get you off the road, or back home, and then to the tyre shop the next morning I'm not sure of the desire to go from a skinny to full size spare wheel?

True, point taken. But in my case regular journeys from North Wales to Cardiff at weekends, returning usually Sunday evening, could mean being 150 miles from home, with dogs and passenger, and traversing the winding ,hilly roads through central Wales on a skinny tyre at 50 mph. 
I’ve often wondered what it’s like on wet winding roads with a skinny tyre on the front, don’t particularly want to try it.

Of course old fogeys like me grew up when all cars had full size spare wheels, just peace of mind I suppose......

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Given that the only purpose of the spare wheel is to get you off the road, or back home, and then to the tyre shop the next morning I'm not sure of the desire to go from a skinny to full size spare wheel?

I agree with you that in most cases, a skinny wheel should be sufficient.  But I did read some reports saying that even at speeds of 50 mph, the skinny wheels are less safe (in terms of stability when braking etc.) than a regular wheel.  Also, I understand that you're not really supposed to drive more than 50 miles on a skinny wheel.  So if we're a long way from home (eg. on holiday), having a full-size spare in the garage isn't going to be of much help, and the 215/50/R18 tyres which are fitted on the 2WD Karoq SE-L don't seem to be a very standard size, so may not be readily available.

For now, I've ordered a full-size spare tyre the same as the Vredestein Quatrac Pro all-seasons which I've just had fitted, and I'm going to order a full-size Braga alloy wheel like the ones on my car already, to mount my spare tyre on.  That way, provided we're not too far from home, we'll be able to limp home with the skinny wheel and then put the proper spare wheel on without being dependent on finding a tyre repair centre which is open (eg. in the evening, at the weekend etc.).  Only problem now is the Braga 18" Karoq wheels don't seem to be available anywhere at the moment......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bohmer said:

True, point taken. But in my case regular journeys from North Wales to Cardiff at weekends, returning usually Sunday evening, could mean being 150 miles from home, with dogs and passenger, and traversing the winding ,hilly roads through central Wales on a skinny tyre at 50 mph. 
I’ve often wondered what it’s like on wet winding roads with a skinny tyre on the front, don’t particularly want to try it.

Of course old fogeys like me grew up when all cars had full size spare wheels, just peace of mind I suppose......

Here's a link to a very old article which I found on the AutoExpress website, with an extract from their article's text as follows:

"50mph space-saver.

First to be tested was the space-saver on our long-term Subaru Justy. This skinny, lightweight wheel is designed to help the car limp to the nearest garage at a maximum of 50mph. It’s also found in the boot of one-third of all new models, as our investigation in Issue 982 revealed. At 6cm thinner than the standard wheel, it looked less grippy. We tried the standard tyres first, heading towards a cone barrier at 50mph. The manoeuvre was a white-knuckle ride; but when we switched the front left wheel to the space-saver, the car fish-tailed in both directions.

When we tried the run with the space-saver on the rear, even expert road tester Owen couldn’t stop the Justy spinning through 180 degrees. We then attempted the lane change at a reckless 65mph: the Subaru made it through, but only an expert driver with several practice runs under his belt could have done it."

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/31947/are-space-savers-safe

Hopefully I'll never find myself in this position, but when you read their comments, it does make you think twice about skinny spare wheels.......

• Like 1

Very interesting, confirms what I suspected! With all the strict tyre safety regulations about mixing tyres, tread depths etc., it makes one wonder how they became legal, having what is basically a motorcycle tyre on one wheel, after all 50mph is not exactly slow.

Be aware, that even if you get a full size steel spare wheel, not the skinny version, the 50mph limit still applies, simply down to the spare wheel and tyre size being different to that of the other three road wheels.

Here is the full size spare wheel from my old Octavia vRS from several years ago...

IMG_3826.thumb.JPG.f197922d111dd4b7527c5375449e18aa.JPG

IMG_3832.thumb.JPG.2fd16428983f24c2470885ca57028691.JPG

IMG_3820.thumb.JPG.2b3a68d664c2bdd4f86f27fcfbcc7a4d.JPG

Edited by silver1011

18 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Be aware, that even if you get a full size steel spare wheel, not the skinny version, the 50mph limit still applies, simply down to the spare wheel and tyre size being different to that of the other three road wheels.

Here is the full size spare wheel from my old Octavia vRS from several years ago...

Yes, that's why I'm planning to get the identical alloy wheel and tyre which I already have on all 4 wheels (Braga 18").  Hopefully then I will be able to drive the car as normal.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Should do.  I have the factory fit skinny 4x4 spare and took that out, put a 225/55 17 tyre in there and it fits fine.  I’ve now got a full sized spare for summer wheels and same for winter wheels that I’ll put in there depending on what is on the car.  I’ll loose 10cm of boot height but that’s not an issue for me.

Only down side is I have 2 excess Ratikons as an offer came up on a second set of 4 that I couldn’t turn down, but I’ve now got proper spares depending on what I’m driving on.  I’m not a fan of skinny spares.  Will get round to flogging them at some stage. 

PS I’m assuming the 57a093860a kit is the same as the factory fit option. 

Edited by DSL