Paddles missing on Sportline 190 DSG 4X4

5 hours ago, PSM said:

3 keys here too. One shiny one and 2 all plastic ones.

I believe having Kessy gets you three keys, one each for the 3 personalisation settings.

Just spoken to the dealer. They are saying that SUK have admitted it's a manufacturing fault, they believe 14 cars were built like this.

SUK have said it is not possible to fit a new wheel with paddles, I'm waiting for them to get in contact with me directly now.

Thats rubbish. In the Yeti thread a member retrofitted a steering wheel with paddles even though the car never came with it as standard.

You just need a compatible wheel, fit it, reconnect the compatible electrics, and then code it to work.

As replied on PM:

Partnumber is 565 419 091 E - listed price in ETKA incl. VAT is €605.

Photo:

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/flat-bottom-steering-wheels-2/oem-mfsw-skoda-o3-s3-f3-3/

It´s a "like for like" swap and 1 min. coding.

Thanks everyone.

To be fair we've taken a step forward this afternoon, SUK have confirmed that from their perspective, whatever the reasons (probably not technical ones), the wheel can't be fitted afterwards, but they do admit it's a fault and they want to put it right.

They are going to look into an exchange of the car.

It's a shame they can't replace the wheel to be honest, I'm kind of sad about that, but when driving other DSG's I've always liked being able to use the paddles to drop down pre corner, overtake etc. I realise I could take some cash and do it myself, but I just don't really need the hassle and potential mucking about to do it.

In summary it seems that the fact SUK don't tell the dealer the build date of the car is at the root cause of some of the other differences (6 speed, LTE SIM) - I've suggested to SUK that they should review this to make it easier for dealers to be clear about the spec. I actually believe that the dealer was genuinely not aware of these, and as per my other message I am not going to say who the dealer is until I'm happy that what I state is factual and the process is completed. I would much rather let people know that they are great at resolving tricky problems like this than just have a moan about them (I have every confidence they will be!).

• Like 2

In regards to retro-fitting... one point could be that while Skoda dealer has the technology in the workshop to install a new wheel with paddles and code, the staff may not of been trained nor the process fully documented and therefore SKODA are unable to endorse the installation as approved.   Therefore the reason for having to decline.

Edited by RickTT

1 minute ago, RickTT said:

In regards to retro-fitting... one point could be that while Skoda dealer has the technology in the workshop to install a new wheel with paddles and code, the staff may not of been trained nor the process fully documented and therefore SKODA are unable to endorse the installation as approved.   Therefore the reason for having to decline.

Totally, I get that there are many "corporate" reasons why they can't make it happen.

I've asked the dealer to look into their workshop fitting it if I sourced the parts, with SUK providing the compensation - seems like an ideal solution to me and will likely save everyone headaches, but again have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, thebigred said:

Totally, I get that there are many "corporate" reasons why they can't make it happen.

I've asked the dealer to look into their workshop fitting it if I sourced the parts, with SUK providing the compensation - seems like an ideal solution to me and will likely save everyone headaches, but again have to wait and see.

Yeah, all early days, if i was in your position, i would be waiting to see what a replacement car spec looks like for no cost to change or second option take some form of cash compensation and get it retro fitted..

10 minutes ago, RickTT said:

If they have been trained to use their own diagnostic equipment (ODIS or VAS) then this is a 15 min (maximum) job for them to do.

I can’t remember off hand if the same controller is used for with/without paddles (I’m too tired to go searching my VCDS logs)

Of course they’re clever enough to replace a steering wheel. What if there was damage to a SW, and they HAD to replace one? Would they then write off the car? Don’t think so. 

43 minutes ago, GaSelle said:

Of course they’re clever enough to replace a steering wheel. What if there was damage to a SW, and they HAD to replace one? Would they then write off the car? Don’t think so. 

But then wouldn't they replace it like for like and no coding would be required if it was fitted to the car before.  (Excluding new airbags etc.)

Edited by RickTT

Most likely, yes. 

The owner of the ‘missing paddle’ car could ask for Skoda to fit the correct wheel and then get a member in here to do the coding with VCDS. 

Ok guys I had a chat with Skoda uk about having no paddles on the steering wheel and they say I looks like a build error.

i have spoken in person with my dealer today and they have asked me to show the transcript from Skoda uk which I have done .

so now the salesman has said that they will have to submit a claim into Skoda uk. The salesman also stated that he’s driven a couple of sportslines with no paddles.

having quite a lengthy chat with him he told me that it would be a big big job to fit the paddles with the dashboard having to be removed. Anyone know if this is correct as I thought it would be just a new wheel and some reprogramming.

Well the paddles on mine are part of the steering wheel. Sounds like they don't know what's involved at the dealer.

If they really had to remove the dash I'd wait for the proper car to be built and swap over when available.

Edited by rtj70

No, the dash does not have to be removed! Airbag off, steering wheel off, fit new SW and refit airbag. Job done. 

31 minutes ago, Dazkim said:

Ok guys I had a chat with Skoda uk about having no paddles on the steering wheel and they say I looks like a build error.

i have spoken in person with my dealer today and they have asked me to show the transcript from Skoda uk which I have done .

so now the salesman has said that they will have to submit a claim into Skoda uk. The salesman also stated that he’s driven a couple of sportslines with no paddles.

having quite a lengthy chat with him he told me that it would be a big big job to fit the paddles with the dashboard having to be removed. Anyone know if this is correct as I thought it would be just a new wheel and some reprogramming.

By way of an update on mine as well. 

SUK are still saying retrofit not possible, dealer is taking their advice, which is fair enough I guess - the dealer can’t really take the risk that they are wrong as in theory they are providing expert advice. 

There are no stock cars for an immediate exchange, so they are currently pricing up the value of mine in 4 months (I presume factory lead time) - interestingly the dealer did say that it’s then up to SUK if they sign off on it! As others have mentioned the dealer will have to find money as well as SUK.

I had hoped someone would look into it more and agree that a retrofit was possible, but it looks as if we really are going down the exchange route - it feels daft but I’ve done all I can to try and help - at the end of the day I just want the car I paid for, I’ll keep this thread up to date with any developments.

3 minutes ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Definatly get the paddles for the dsg. From my experience the gearchanging in auto modes is slow, hesitant and cumbersome.

The paddles allow more direct shifting and less hesitancy.

Indeed. The dsg boxes really need them In my personal opinion, it’s not really something I can live without long term :/

Which is odd as my previous octavia dsg was totally different. It didn't have paddles as standard but shifted gears flawlessly. That was a diesel though. My petrol dsg superb is awful compared to the cheaper octavia. I wasnt really caring for the paddles on the superb but now its a nice touch as the dsg drives me crackers. 

1 hour ago, Whenwillilearn said:

Definatly get the paddles for the dsg. From my experience the gearchanging in auto modes is slow, hesitant and cumbersome.

The paddles allow more direct shifting and less hesitancy.

This is really odd, my DSG changes up and down flawlessly. In fact, unless I look at the indicator I wouldn't even know it was changing gear.

Skodas inconsistency but then again everyone's version of flawless will differ. Certain idiosyncrasies will appear the norm to some.

But that's my point the octy transmission was totally different in behavior to the superb yet both have DQ250 (correct if im wrong) gearbox.

Not as described in the brochure and the bill of sale. Trades description act 19 something says you can reject. Its not what you ordered or expected.

Ps the paddles are Choco ashtray , you wont use them. But be annoyed