DPF filter advice - car I'm about to buy.

I'm about to collect my 2014 Dsg vrs next week.I am just slightly worried about the DPF filter.The DPF warning light was on when we started the test drive .We gave the car a proper test drive through Aldershot and Farnborgh on to the M3 

I stuck my foot down up the M3 came of at Hook then back to the dealer via Farnham.When we got back the DPF warning light had gone out no smells of burning no fans I can only guess I must of completed the regen whilst on the test drive . Im just looking for a little reassurance never spent so much on a car before. Apologies for asking yet another DPF question and my poor grammar.

Edited by mase101
Poor grammar

I'd get the dealer to check out the dpf before you part with cash. Try and get them to get some sort of a report as well.

• john999boy changed the title to DPF filter advice - car I'm about to buy.

As above, ideally you need it in writing that the DPF is fine. 

Is it a used approved Skoda? If so, there should be a one year warranty on it too 

I would think a Skoda dealer would find it very difficult to find fault with a DPF on a car they are selling or on a car that is still under warranty. Once it was yours and once it was out of warranty they should be able to diagnose and replace.

Can say that Skoda UK are not prepared to accept that a  car performing active regens at 100 mile intervals is indicative of a problem - perhaps it is not.

3 hours ago, mase101 said:

I'm about to collect my 2014 Dsg vrs next week.I am just slightly worried about the DPF filter.The DPF warning light was on when we started the test drive .We gave the car a proper test drive through Aldershot and Farnborgh on to the M3 

I stuck my foot down up the M3 came of at Hook then back to the dealer via Farnham.When we got back the DPF warning light had gone out no smells of burning no fans I can only guess I must of completed the regen whilst on the test drive . Im just looking for a little reassurance never spent so much on a car before. Apologies for asking yet another DPF question and my poor grammar.

Yeah probably cleaned it up on the test drive depending how enthusiastic you were allowed to be. Are you doing enough mileage for the diesel or is it just an attractive price ?

I'm only Farnborough if you wanna try a TSI

44 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

Yeah probably cleaned it up on the test drive depending how enthusiastic you were allowed to be. Are you doing enough mileage for the diesel or is it just an attractive price ?

I currently doing 0 miles getting it next week.

56 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

I'm only Farnborough if you wanna try a moment

59 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

That's my thinking.

• Like 1

Ask them for the soot level figures for the DPF, should be easy enough to get.

This is an eye opener of a topic, soot level was the only indicator of the true mileage of the car.

26 minutes ago, KevC_Derby said:

Ask them for the soot level figures for the DPF, should be easy enough to get.

This is an eye opener of a topic, soot level was the only indicator of the true mileage of the car.

Thanks I'll buy the app if the soot level to high they just get the car back to sort fix it.

Surprised nobody has asked the obvious question - how many miles are on the car you're buying? Any history with the car?

Even if the DPF checked out OK, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to stick a warranty on a 4 year old DPF. On top of that potential DPF bill, If it's a 2014 car, you'll have a cambelt + waterpump change to address within the next year.

Might be an idea to contact previous owner to find out if the car had issues / what sort of driving they did / reason for selling it. 

Personally , if a warning light came on during a test drive, it'd walk away. Plenty or other cars out there.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Surprised nobody has asked the obvious question - how many miles are on the car you're buying? Any history with the car?

Even if the DPF checked out OK, I'm not sure anyone would be willing to stick a warranty on a 4 year old DPF. On top of that potential DPF bill, If it's a 2014 car, you'll have a cambelt + waterpump change to address within the next year.

Might be an idea to contact previous owner to find out if the car had issues / what sort of driving they did / reason for selling it. 

Personally , if a warning light came on during a test drive, it'd walk away. Plenty or other cars out there.

A warning light is what it is, a warning that something is wrong or going wrong. Walk away.

5 minutes ago, ords said:

A warning light is what it is, a warning that something is wrong or going wrong. Walk away.

Don't walk away, run away, fast.

• Like 1

The cars got 42k miles full Skoda service history the cars come directly from VW ex PCP car  .I'm buying it of a reputable dealer Garlands in Aldershot part of the Winchester motor group who run Skoda dealer ships 

They  inspected the car because they told me the rear pads have 10mm left on them 

Edited by mase101
Spelling

I have put 25,000 on my 2016 Octavia diesel and have never seen the regen light come on, Does it only illuminate if there is a fault or after a couple of regen attempts that have failed to complete, I guess if it is just a case that the light has come on because the car has only had several short journeys lately why stuck with the dealer then it is nothing to worry about.

Edited by POWYSWALES

What I noticed was dpf warning light was on with a message read manual.

Manual advised I needed to go on a run I think more than 60mph for a certain distance.

Edited by mase101
Poor grammar

my 2.0 tdi has done about 36k miles (64 reg) and havent seen any dpf light yet although I take the car for a longer drive once in 4 weeks or so. As suggested above use the app to see the soot levels which should give an indication. But I think it will be better you look for another car.

I've driven a hair under 10k in my 63 reg 2.0 TDI, car is almost 80k miles. Never seen any DPF warning light. 

Has it been used for short test drives only before you came along? I'd definitely get a reading using the DPF app (see the linked thread), look at Oil Ash Residue amount and Soot Mass. The ash residue will tell you how much more miles DPF is likely to require changing (and has it been clocked). The soot mass should be very low because you've just done an active regen.

Very good point about clocking it's no longer ex company cars with high mileage Being clocked it's some cars coming of PCP contracts could be clocked because of the excess millage charges.This app should help confirm the millage .

Edited by mase101
Grammar

2 hours ago, mase101 said:

The cars got 42k miles full Skoda service history the cars come directly from VW ex PCP car  .I'm buying it of a reputable dealer Garlands in Aldershot part of the Winchester motor group who run Skoda dealer ships 

They  inspected the car because they told me the rear pads have 10mm left on them 

'

ex PCP. In otherwords just like an ex-hire car - the previous driver never owned it.  A higher mileage diesel may have been a better bet but at 10k a year? If that car was used as daily transport, that could suggest the engine led a life of not reaching optimium temp.

As others say it might simply be because of short test drives (surely the dealer should have been aware of this and given it a good run now and again?) but then again, it could indicate the start of problems. It'd be too much of a gamble purchase for me.

Edited by Guest

Right so 2014,  42,000 miles, Full Main Dealer History.  they even say 10mm left on the brake pads.

So is the DSG 40,000 miles oil change done as the Service schedule / Guidelines,  Warranty T&C's.?

Was the Brake Fluid change done at 3 years or since?

So should be done by now, or would cost you £179 & £52 at a Skoda Dealers, 

but with a Skoda Approved Used car it should be serviced to schedule for a valid 12 month warranty so check as already done.

What has it had, 2 Major / Variable Services, ie Oil & Filter Changes, Fluid Levels checked, inspections, reports, washes and vacuum and not much else as per Full Main Dealer Servicing @ a Skoda Main Dealers on Lease / Fleet / PCP vehicles.

Was a new pollen / cabin filter in at 2 years if that was the first service and a Air Filter at the next service or now when done.

& Remember, 

get the print out off the Skoda / VW System,  Service History and Warranty work if any done.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Serviced at 39kmiles last November and is just had the Dsg oil change by the dealer.Its comes with the usual service print out  all the services have been done at Skoda main dealers it's all been done.I must say I don't like the way the service history is done  on new  cars especially VAG and BMW.Much prefer stamped up book with receipts to back it up with.

Edited by mase101
Spelling
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, mase101 said:

I agree the dealer did say it's because of all the start ups moving the cars around the forecourt TBH I put that down to car salesman BS.

For that to happen the car would need to have done probably 200 miles on the forecourt. A DPF does not block up that quick.

• Like 1