DPF filter advice - car I'm about to buy.

14 hours ago, mase101 said:

Serviced at 39kmiles last November and is just had the Dsg oil change by the dealer.Its comes with the usual service print out  all the services have been done at Skoda main dealers it's all been done.I must say I don't like the way the service history is done  on new  cars especially VAG and BMW.Much prefer stamped up book with receipts to back it up with.

Agreed, it's just a manoeuvre to 'encourage' folk to stay in the dealer network for servicing.

Possible role for CMA?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tell-the-cma-about-a-competition-or-market-problemhttps://www.gov.uk/guidance/tell-the-cma-about-a-competition-or-market-problem

22 hours ago, mase101 said:

I must say I don't like the way the service history is done  on new  cars especially VAG and BMW.Much prefer stamped up book with receipts to back it up with.

I'm sure the only people who like this are Skoda dealers.

Can't imagine how it benefits anyone else, especially when we come to sell out cars or want our cars serviced at an indi dealership.

22 hours ago, skidpan said:

For that to happen the car would need to have done probably 200 miles on the forecourt. A DPF does not block up that quick.

I agree with Skidpan here, it is not easy to trigger the DPF warning light, you would have to do a full tank of fuel of "manouvering it round the carpark" before regen would be needed & then it would take several regen attempts before the ECU would pop the warning light. It is not triggered if regen is only interrupted once.

It has either spent a long teim on the forecourt or it has a real problem.

I would want a full report from the dealer or guarentee they will honour any DPF issues more than the usual aftersale warenty.

But likely just the Rep handed back the car,  it went on a transporter to auction,  on another transporter to the dealership,  it sat a bit,  got its service, got some diesel in at asda, had a few Italian tune ups,  went on a roadtest or 3 or for the bacon rolls, and is now a Skoda Approved Used car. FMDSH,   ex management. 12 Month warranty.  Have to fight for repairs, or if it is a bad one,  return and walk away. ?  Who was it first registered to?

Edited by AwaoffSki

A warning light on the test drive means you are buying the car with a known fault - either get it fixed before you buy it, or expect to pay for it yourself after. 

Just to clarify before I started the test drive the dpf warning light was on .The car was given a proper test drive and a sprint up the motor way . After the test drive the light had gone out so the car had carried out a Dpf regen. Im a suspicious person don't trust car dealers or trades I know when I'm being BS at so what I was told the dfp coming because of the car being moved around was car salesman bs talk.I going to get it in writing to cover the dpf. 

No but I did nearly buy a blue Vrs the same day from Sparshatts  every time I put my foot down the dash board vibrated so walked away as I knew about this car I'm buying low milles and less money bit better spec just a few  months older.Was not impressed sparshatts they just wanted to sell you extras on top of the price 

Edited by mase101
Grammar

2 hours ago, mase101 said:

No but I did nearly buy a blue Vrs the same day from Sparshatts  every time I put my foot down the dash board vibrated so walked away as I knew about this car I'm buying low milles and less money bit better spec just a few  months older.Was not impressed sparshatts they just wanted to sell you extras on top of the price 

This the one at Botley?

Was thinking about the Blue VRS Estate but someone purchased/put deposit down on it before I could test drive :)

Think there was a saloon there too though.

4 hours ago, mase101 said:

Just to clarify before I started the test drive the dpf warning light was on .The car was given a proper test drive and a sprint up the motor way . After the test drive the light had gone out so the car had carried out a Dpf regen. Im a suspicious person don't trust car dealers or trades I know when I'm being BS at so what I was told the dfp coming because of the car being moved around was car salesman bs talk.I going to get it in writing to cover the dpf. 

You may already know this, but the DPF light never normally shows when the car is just doing a regular regen. 

If the light shows, it's could be because the DPF is approaching the point of no return. A forced regen (good thrash) might temporarily clear the light, but basically the soot and ash levels may be approaching the point where it will need professional cleaning or replacement. Both are expensive and inconvenient.

This isn't to say it couldn't be a faulty sensor, but either way, unless it's a car with a unique spec that you badly want, and at a price that means you can afford the hassle of sorting it should it go wrong, I'd run away!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mase101 said:

Yes

Not had great experience with Sparshatts at Botley, they were really difficult to negotiate with when buying and refused to update the Amundsen firmware even when I told them the "correct" bug. I can't recommend them either on the sales or service side.

12 minutes ago, mase101 said:

They don't have a great reputation for giving you a fair price for your car.

It took nearly an hour haggling, and lots of conversations between the salesman "and his manager", to get a decent trade-in price.

Fortunately we've moved from Hampshire so I don't have to think about dealing with them again :biggrin:

Yes, I had the same experience as you guys.  Got a car from them in the end (very little discount + mats) but have a few niggles that they should have sorted before I picked up the car.  One being, they supplied the wrong service book, the one they left in the car for a different Octavia lol.

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

Not had great experience with Sparshatts at Botley, they were really difficult to negotiate with when buying and refused to update the Amundsen firmware even when I told them the "correct" bug. I can't recommend them either on the sales or service side.

I didn't even bother to ask them!  There would be no way they would do that I could tell after even asking them basic questions which was a struggle to get answers!

Mase101, any luck with getting the DPF included in the warranty before you collect the car?

Worth another test drive, perhaps a longer one?

On 17/03/2018 at 08:40, mase101 said:

I'm about to collect my 2014 Dsg vrs next week.I am just slightly worried about the DPF filter.The DPF warning light was on when we started the test drive .We gave the car a proper test drive through Aldershot and Farnborgh on to the M3 

I stuck my foot down up the M3 came of at Hook then back to the dealer via Farnham.When we got back the DPF warning light had gone out no smells of burning no fans I can only guess I must of completed the regen whilst on the test drive . Im just looking for a little reassurance never spent so much on a car before. Apologies for asking yet another DPF question and my poor grammar.

if the light has come on id stay well clear, on the 2014 dsg vrs thats a sign of early warning signs that the filter has reached its limit ,  the regen on these cars start every 250miles of driving ,, best advise id give you is stay clear

On 3/17/2018 at 20:42, mase101 said:

I agree the dealer did say it's because of all the start ups moving the cars around the forecourt TBH I put that down to car salesman BS.

I've just bought a 64-plate 2.0TDI with 75K miles on it.

When I took it out for a test drive there was a load of soot/smoke coming out of it for the first few minutes.  We stopped to get diesel but after that there was no sign of any smoke, even when I really booted it up a slip road.  I've now owned it for 3 weeks and haven't seen any more smoke from the exhaust.

Whilst the DPF light has never shown, I put the initial smoke I saw down to it being shunted around the forecourt.  I watched one of their valeters (I use the term loosely) sit in a Bentley eating his lunch for nearly an hour with the engine running.

I'd still want something in writing from the garage that they've acknowledged the light was showing and they're willing to rectify any problem it may cause over the next x months.

DPFs aren't covered by any warranty known to man so I'd be very careful. My advice to anyone buying a used VAG diesel is to use VAG DPF and see how full the DPF is.

You need an adapter like this one

https://www.hypermiler.co.uk/dpf-diesel-particulate-filter/vag-dpf-vw-which-obd2-ii-elm327-dongle-should-i-use-bluetooth-wifi

On a second note - anyone with the app and dongle here - please post your results so I can compare my 15' 43k 184

On 26/03/2018 at 15:35, Russ77 said:

I've just bought a 64-plate 2.0TDI with 75K miles on it.

When I took it out for a test drive there was a load of soot/smoke coming out of it for the first few minutes.  We stopped to get diesel but after that there was no sign of any smoke, even when I really booted it up a slip road.  I've now owned it for 3 weeks and haven't seen any more smoke from the exhaust.

Whilst the DPF light has never shown, I put the initial smoke I saw down to it being shunted around the forecourt.  I watched one of their valeters (I use the term loosely) sit in a Bentley eating his lunch for nearly an hour with the engine running.

I'd still want something in writing from the garage that they've acknowledged the light was showing and they're willing to rectify any problem it may cause over the next x months.

russ,, i have owned 4 skoda s all with dpf filters in them, dont worry to much about them there good for the miles , but what u have seen in the garage with the smoke, could be the car finishing of a regen its self, say if before you seen it ,it was in the middle of a regen and someones switched the engine off then when you have been at the car its been fininshing off its regen ,   the skoda s are good for up 160k with no dpf problems ,one thing i would recommend is that you will notice when ur car is in automatic regen mode you will notice the revs go up they could be there for up to 30 mins at most, if your sitting idle too long in regen mode the car will cut out as its getting to hot but it will come back on the next time you start your car until its finished  so i would advise you when its in regen mode keep driving until it stops, as skoda s dont do the adblue like volkswagon,  as for the smoke  you will notice a small amount of blue also white from the tailpipe ,in the middle of a regen mode and remember it comes on every 250 miles so keep your eye on it , once you get to know how they work  you will be fine trust me ive had skoda s with up to 300k on the clock .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junior10 said:

russ,, i have owned 4 skoda s all with dpf filters in them, dont worry to much about them there good for the miles , but what u have seen in the garage with the smoke, could be the car finishing of a regen its self, say if before you seen it ,it was in the middle of a regen and someones switched the engine off then when you have been at the car its been fininshing off its regen ,   the skoda s are good for up 160k with no dpf problems ,one thing i would recommend is that you will notice when ur car is in automatic regen mode you will notice the revs go up they could be there for up to 30 mins at most, if your sitting idle too long in regen mode the car will cut out as its getting to hot but it will come back on the next time you start your car until its finished  so i would advise you when its in regen mode keep driving until it stops, as skoda s dont do the adblue like volkswagon,  as for the smoke  you will notice a small amount of blue also white from the tailpipe ,in the middle of a regen mode and remember it comes on every 250 miles so keep your eye on it , once you get to know how they work  you will be fine trust me ive had skoda s with up to 300k on the clock .

I believe that newer Skoda's do use adblue. I was picked up today by a Skoda salesman in a new Superb 4x4 DSG which had an adblue option on the maxidot when he scrolled through.

32 minutes ago, J_D said:

I believe that newer Skoda's do use adblue. I was picked up today by a Skoda salesman in a new Superb 4x4 DSG which had an adblue option on the maxidot when he scrolled through.

I understand that a car fitted with a Dpf you should not see any smoke what so ever out of the exhaust.