How did you source your Karoq?

ethereum

22 hours ago, Yearofthegoat said:

But incredibly difficult not to have this, and very easy to think that you don't :)

I'm looking at getting my wife a new car (Kia Carens, she needs 7 seats now and then) but she'll keep it until it falls apart so leasing isn't attractive.

Like you we look at the opportunity costs, which is why our savings are staying where they are (our mortgage is at 2.5% fixed to the end of the term) and it's looking like that will remain the case with rate rises becoming more likely.

Currently paying 1.6% fixed over two years, no fee, on our mortgage. Made £54,000 profit in the past 6 years, unlike leasing a car.

40 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

Do you mean you made a profit on the property? Or you've just paid less on the mortgage having fixed it?

Value of property gone up and mortgage reduced by £35,000 during this period. Still happy living on private road overlooking a park. I am also a landlord on other property I own.

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I agree spending £9,500 every 3 years would be £38,000 over 12 years which is huge compared to my Dad's last car. Vauxhall Vectra Elite Estate, which would have been £21,000 new in April 2004. He bought it as dealer demo with 7,000 miles on the clock in December 2004 for £14,150. He's just sold it for £1,150 so has lost £13,000 in 13 years at £1,000 per year.

Indeed. Lease is no good if you are going to keep a car for 13 years.

3 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Currently paying 1.6% fixed over two years, no fee, on our mortgage. Made £54,000 profit in the past 6 years, unlike leasing a car.

I don't think anyone buys a volume car to make a profit. They'll depreciate exactly the same amount irrespective of finance method.

Edited by nickfrog

2 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

Value of property gone up and mortgage reduced by £35,000 during this period. Still happy living on private road overlooking a park. I am also a landlord on other property I own.

Look at you ;-). Same here tbf and any excess capital goes towards btl, if and when a lease is cheaper than cash for a new car for instance. 

briskodapropertyinvestors.net  :) Our house may have risen by maybe 5% in the 6 years we have been here, in my part of the North West. But its a home, not an investment, and if I move it would probably be local. 

2 hours ago, Orville said:

All I care about is the monthly cost and total combined payments. I couldn't give a monkeys about mortgage rates and opportunity costs:biggrin:.

Agreed!

I didn’t think this post would turn into a **** swinging competition! :biggrin:

Anyhoo...

Took my 1 litre on the motorway for a short distance last night and it coped. Mainly lower speed limits in managed sections but when I got the chance it managed to get to NSL and above easily.

Edited by Steve335

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 15:21, Panther_uk said:

I requested the long term servicing when i ordered it, but they can change it later. My wife's Yeti flagged up a service after 9K miles when it should have been on long term, quick call to the dealers, dropped the car off and 10 mins later it was set to long term !

How long is your lease? long term is servicing is around every 18K miles.

Also needs more expensive Longlife oil for 2year or approx. 17,500 mile service intervals which costs £12 per litre from a Skoda dealer, cheaper elsewhere obviously.

Looked at various options and prices.

First -- went for test drive and decided on spec/engine/extras.

Broker - Tried Carwow (and another can't remember)

Dealerships - phoned and got quotes for PCP and PCH from three dealerships .

Carwow and one dealer price were very similar - dealer slightly better when deliver/collection costs added to Carwow

Dealer discounts varied. Two didn't bother following up on quotes, even though I'd bought from one before.

Lived about 30 miles from third dealer. Salesman sent me video of a showroom Karoq in the colour I was thinking of. 

Visited that dealer and spent quite a while on test drives and discussing price. His offer beat the other dealers and Carwow. I didn't tell him what other dealers were quoting.

Ordered from him.

I didn't do any bartering. Told each dealer I wanted their best cash price on which a deal would be based.

I've got mine on PCH. Can't afford to be a cash buyer, like the flexibility and lack of responsibility of leasing. I don't want to be paying interest and be tied in to either buying the car at the end of a finance deal or chance of losing money if giving back. My uncle is in the trade, and he says he doesn't understand why people wouldn't choose to lease. Having looked into it, i agree. fixed monthly payments, no sting in the tail if kept in good condition. only have to service it.

I was weighing up whether to go for the karoq or ateca. went to my local dealer (same for both skoda and seat, on same site) and tested the ateca first, got a quote on a 1.4 xcellence (top of the range, but only standard spec available because they've stopped the 1.4 engine), then tested the karoq. dealer matched the price for the ateca for the 1.5 SEL, with metallic paint by topping up my initial payment with a dealer contribution. Much preferred the karoq, just felt a nicer, better put together car. the ateca was great, but felt a bit cheap in comparison, and only available in white, which i didn't want. So chose the karoq, despite the long wait.

Think i got a great deal. My uncle looked into it and said i'd been offered a rock bottom deal and he couldn't beat it, so went with the dealer. He'd been great, keeping in touch without being pushy, and has kept me updated so far.

Looking forward to getting the car now!

• 3 weeks later...

I went on carwow and got a great price.. Took that to my local dealer the day I had booked for a test drive and they a) said they couldnt match the cash price or anywhere near B) they could just match the finance quote but needed to order that day and c) wouldnt let me take a test drive unless i ordered too that day..

So told them to go do one.. Drove 2 hours to the other dealer. Got a test drive and ordered. Saved over £2500. Worth the drive

4 hours ago, Waggy1971 said:

I went on carwow and got a great price.. Took that to my local dealer the day I had booked for a test drive and they a) said they couldnt match the cash price or anywhere near B) they could just match the finance quote but needed to order that day and c) wouldnt let me take a test drive unless i ordered too that day..

So told them to go do one.. Drove 2 hours to the other dealer. Got a test drive and ordered. Saved over £2500. Worth the drive

I would of done the same. I didn’t use my closest dealer because of it the attitude and the fact they couldn’t promise to price match so went to our next closest dealer who gave the original offer from carwow. They even beat their own price.

what spec did you order? 

This was my best lease deal yet.

Tech SE DSG 1.0

350 deposit and 220 a month for 30 months. Didn't have to front load the cash, always worth asking a if you can lower the deposit. It made no difference to the long term payments.

On top of this the dealer gave me 250 cash back before my deposit.

I drove away a brand new car for 100.

One service , no tax, breakdown included.

No brainer for me.

Love the car. The engine is fab and the DSG is much smoother than the yeti. Steering is sublime. And the brakes are night and day over the yeti. I do miss the LED lamps from the Yeti. They were incredible.

The auto start/stop is very poorly implemented this time. It's all over the shop. That is the only thing I don't like - oh and the glossy plastics skoda use are awful. Scratch when you breath on them.

I can't see a scenario where i would buy one. But everyone's circumstances are different.

On 27/03/2018 at 15:50, RoystonVasey said:

I've got mine on PCH. Can't afford to be a cash buyer, like the flexibility and lack of responsibility of leasing. I don't want to be paying interest and be tied in to either buying the car at the end of a finance deal or chance of losing money if giving back. My uncle is in the trade, and he says he doesn't understand why people wouldn't choose to lease. Having looked into it, i agree. fixed monthly payments, no sting in the tail if kept in good condition. only have to service it.

I was weighing up whether to go for the karoq or ateca. went to my local dealer (same for both skoda and seat, on same site) and tested the ateca first, got a quote on a 1.4 xcellence (top of the range, but only standard spec available because they've stopped the 1.4 engine), then tested the karoq. dealer matched the price for the ateca for the 1.5 SEL, with metallic paint by topping up my initial payment with a dealer contribution. Much preferred the karoq, just felt a nicer, better put together car. the ateca was great, but felt a bit cheap in comparison, and only available in white, which i didn't want. So chose the karoq, despite the long wait.

Think i got a great deal. My uncle looked into it and said i'd been offered a rock bottom deal and he couldn't beat it, so went with the dealer. He'd been great, keeping in touch without being pushy, and has kept me updated so far.

Looking forward to getting the car now!

After buying my last 2 cars either by cash or 0% finance I worked out the depreciation and despite receiving very good discounts for both cars when I sold them  with very low mileage I decided to go PCH, my current VW Tiguan 1.4 SE Nav is costing me less in lease payments over 2 years than the losses through depreciation so in my case it's a no brainer. Leasing is not for everyone especially not those people who do high mileage, I don't so 8K per year is more than enough for me, my Ford Kuga Titanium bought in 2013 via Ford Privilege cost me £6200 in depreciation, my Seat Leon FR 1.4 ACT cost me about the same. The lease on the Tiguan costs me £6600 over the 2 years but it's a more expensive  car so its not too far out,  the Karoq which I intend to lease will be the 1.5 Edition DSG which currently is working out a bit more expensive but it's the car that I want and it's certainly cheaper than buying outright even with a discount or going the PCP especially considering the high Skoda FS interest rate.

Same here, our last Tiguan was £5,200 vs £7,000 actual depreciation (at best). An absolute no-brainer, even if you choose to ignore opp cost which in our case was around £40/month, ie 20% of the lease cost.

Edited by nickfrog

I have read on the forum about people paying off their PCP within the first 14 days (cooling off period) but still keeping any Skoda incentives (dealer contributions, servicing packages etc.).

That's what I'm doing.

My dealer told me to leave it a few days and then phone them to pay it off.

You can transfer the outstanding balance direct to them and there's no penalty.