Potholes

Don't know what it's like everywhere else but in Wiltshire the roads are a mess. On some stretches there are more potholes than smooth tarmac. Worse though are the isolated ones that are harder to spot. It's not so much the size as the depth that seems to make it worse to go over.

I recently had new tyres fitted and high quality tracking done. I bet it's already all over the place. Most of all though I worry about the alloys getting warped.

It's obviously much worse on these low profile tyres driving into these holes.

Roads are horrendous up here in West Scotland.  The A77/M77 and A75 are verging on dangerous in places.  There are campaign groups directly canvassing the Scottish Transport Minister on the issues which of course seem to be falling on deaf ears, other MSPs and Councillors getting involved to varying degrees of success.  The M77 up to Glasgow has some huge pot holes and rutted sections as you cross lanes, I am surprised there have been no fatal accidents as a result of the road conditions up here.  I have just had to have 4 new springs fitted on my wifes Focus, all broken in the last 6 months or so due to driving around this area.  I will soon be needing four new tyres on the Superb and am considering going for a 4 wheel alignment soon after to make sure things are ok.   

Smaller wheels and higher profile tyres are the way forward. Not as pleasant on the eye but better on the wallet.

A big part of choosing a Kodiaq for our next car is the big chunky tyres. No tyre is completely pothole proof but I don't understand why people are going out of their way to spec big wheels with tiny tyres, its a recipe for disaster.

Most of the new Volvo S90 and V90 models I see are asking for trouble...

volvo-v90-rdesign-heico-volution.thumb.jpg.6bd9a4923677c0899e043d97875d71b5.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Smaller wheels and higher profile tyres are the way forward. Not as pleasant on the eye but better on the wallet.

A big part of choosing a Kodiaq for our next car is the big chunky tyres. No tyre is completely pothole proof but I don't understand why people are going out of their way to spec big wheels with tiny tyres, its a recipe for disaster.

I love the look of the V90, but you're right, 19-20" wheels are asking for trouble 'round ere'. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, snowathlete said:

19" wheels on mine. If I changed them for smaller I presume I'd have to inform insurance as a modification. Any one got any experience of what impact, if any, it has on premiums?

There are multiple size options on superb from factory so you can downsize without having to inform insurance as long as you stick to factory sizes. Mine came with 18” but 205/55/16 is an approved size as well. 

Edited by CodeCruiser
  • Like 3

Lancashire is a mess and just been touring Shropshire which is a pothole nightmare!

• Sad 1

Edinburgh is a bombscare for potholes right now.

But pretty much every road is breaking up at some points.

I've hit a couple recently and wondered how the car came out in one piece.

Same here in Oxfordshire. My commute is really **** at the moment as I have to try and avoid all the roadworks, they are currently building thousands of houses near my town, so everyone is avoiding the main effected routes. I spend more time looking for potholes than anything else, it’s really dangerous. 

EE08A996-3A7C-40B9-8A32-47684E782F8F.jpeg

DEE1979C-8EC5-42B9-A243-00F938B0A506.jpeg

Yeah wiltshire is bad, as is gloucestershire where I bent one of my wheels not long ago.

Spend most of the time looking like a drunk driver swerving all the potholes. You get used to the usual ones and learn a route through them to avoid hitting em.

I see some are slowly getting filled in, which is a nice surprise but then again another set soon appear elsewhere. Getting money off the council for the damage is almost impossible as they just deny knowledge of them even when previously reported on their website.

2O0rWdjcTwSyANYY7QcBVQ.jpg

Edited by JWvrs25
  • Sad 1

On 26/03/2018 at 11:45, silver1011 said:

I still like my Volvo's,those V90's are huge though! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mikey vrs said:

I still like my Volvo's,those V90's are huge though! 

They are colossal cars

As others have said, you get to know where the everyday driving route potholes are but I find myself spending more and more time looking for potholes etc than concentrating on other things.

They are a major distraction and by the sounds of it nowhere has escaped. The roads are disgusting in general, not enough is spent maintaining them.

I read an article a while back about local councils not repairing potholes so the locals started painting what I will call 'penis art' next to the potholes. Sure enough the council fixed the potholes and removed said artwork. Might be worth a try if all other avenues have failed!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I got so sick of one road I regularly drive having a rash of potholes with no action being taken, that I photographed a few when I reported them, waited a few months ,then photographed them again. I then sent copies of photo to County councillor with a suggestion that perhaps an eyesight test for County Highways surveyors might be in order. one in particular had been marked up for that long that the marking spray had dissapeared.  Two days later the holes had been repaired.

Somebody around here has started filling them with soil and planting flowers in them and the highways suggested it was dangerous!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sad555 said:

Somebody around here has started filling them with soil and planting flowers in them.......

What a cracking idea!!  That really made me chuckle :giggle:

Gaz