Blind spot detection

OK so it's taken a while for me to work it out but just realised why my Octavia 3 is missing the wide angle part of the door mirror my Octavia 2 had. By enlarging the blind spot it makes it easier to sell an extra cost safety option - blind spot detection. Simply clever.

I have no doubt that blind spot detection does many clever things that a simple wide angle mirror can't but that wide angle mirror was on every car not just a small number of speced up ones.

I am very well aware of the need to check blind spots, shoulder checks and all that. The reality though is that the wide angle section on the Octavia 2 door mirror will have helped prevent quite a few accidents. Wonder also if everyone who goes from an Octavia 2 to a 3 is immediately aware of the need to take account of the inferior view offered by the door mirror.

Just moving from my Mercedes to the Octy makes me well aware of the lack of the blind spot mirror. It’s only caught me out once so far, nearly took someone out when overtaking on a dual carriageway. Closest I’ve ever come to having an accident. Stupid thing to leave out!!

• Like 2

I am ashamed, having written that, to say that I also posses a full UK motorbike license and that I didn’t do the life saver properly when that near miss happened. I did look, but not hard enough for or for long enough. I’ve never forgotten since.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VRjest said:

I always look over my shoulder before over taking. 

So do I - even as a totally unworthy non biker

Still don't think it's an argument for deleting the wide angle mirror.

If you see a vehicle in wide angle part of mirror, then no need for shoulder check - you already have enough information to know you are not going to be overtaking for the time being.

We all aim to make full use of mirrors and shoulder checks, I like to think I am better than most in this respect* but I am human and don't imagine I'm infallible.

*Bearing in mind most folk probably believe they are better than most.

Can you not just buy a couple of stick on mirrors to put in the corner?

On my old car the mirror was smashed by some vandals overnight. As it contained also the ambient temperature sensor it was very expensive to replace the whole thing.

I just bought a stick on replacement with adhesive backing to go over the original.

Worked for many years without a problem.

Unfortunately this is the problem with most things... Companies do good work until their product becomes popular & then walk the difficult tightrope between profit & retaining the functionality people love.

I guess deleting the blindspot Mirror might save them a dollar on 80% of the cars & make them 100 dollars on 20% of the cars where someone specs it.

Its win-win for the finance guy but the little things that previously loyal owners will notice.

Some eBay sellers list aspherical heated mirrors glass for the O3, these will give a wider field of view than the standard flat glass?

14 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

Still don't think it's an argument for deleting the wide angle mirror.

Please read the post again.

There is no mention of any argument?

Have blind spot detection on my car - still doesn't stop me from looking over my shoulder tho. 

On the accident report form, the "well the blind spot detector never went off" remark won't carry much weight.

16 hours ago, VRjest said:

I always look over my shoulder before over taking. 

Being a biker, this is how I was taught to ride (called a life saver move) and now it's the natural thing to do on, or in any vehicle

I'm assuming you read my original post -  'I am very well aware of the need to check blind spots, shoulder checks and all that'  - which is true. Has to be said if you did read that, then the purpose of your post can't be a finger wagging about shoulder checks, surely it can't be just to let us know how good you are.

If you look up 'argument' your dictionary you may get the context in which I used the word, probably not the one you assumed.

So my thoughts:

1. Shoulder checks - I was taught to do them and I strongly believe they should be practised by every car driver, motorcyclist, pushbike rider, tractor driver etc. on the planet.

2. Wide angle sectors on door mirrors - a useful low cost low tech method of providing drivers with a bit more information which might just prevent an accident one day.

3. Blind spot detection/assist not sure how good but obviously still expensive and not widely fitted. 

4. Responsibility - It lies with the driver, regardless of how many 'assists' or safety features you have at your disposal

By the way do you think wide angle sectors on door mirrors are a good thing or a bad thing? I'm not clear on that

26 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Have blind spot detection on my car - still doesn't stop me from looking over my shoulder tho. 

On the accident report form, the "well the blind spot detector never went off" remark won't carry much weight.

100% agree.

1 hour ago, Octy0GG said:

I'm assuming you read my original post -  'I am very well aware of the need to check blind spots, shoulder checks and all that'  - which is true. Has to be said if you did read that, then the purpose of your post can't be a finger wagging about shoulder checks, surely it can't be just to let us know how good you are.

How on earth can me agreeing with your original post by also stating that "I always look over my shoulder before over taking" be argumentative and boastful about how good I am?

I'm certainly no better than the next driver or rider. Just plain Mr average.

Maybe it's because you have issues with bikers?

Before you ask, no , I'm not one of those riders that has no regard for other road users.

18 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

So do I - even as a totally unworthy non biker

This statement makes it all perfectly clear...

'So do I - even as a totally unworthy non biker'

Sorry VRJest, thought you would take it as light hearted tongue in cheek banter that I took

'us bikers make the better drivers anyway'

Might have worked better with a :) , but I'm a bit old for these things.

Bikers - there are good and bad but a lot more good than bad, will say that when I ran I found bikers by far the most considerate and aware of the need to leave a bit of space, wont say who was the worst so as not to cause a load of offence.

Seems like we are in agreement about most things, so - your thoughts on the deletion of the wide angle section on the door mirror, Good idea or bad idea?

24 minutes ago, Octy0GG said:

'So do I - even as a totally unworthy non biker'

Sorry VRJest, thought you would take it as light hearted tongue in cheek banter that I took

'us bikers make the better drivers anyway'

Might have worked better with a :) , but I'm a bit old for these things.

Bikers - there are good and bad but a lot more good than bad, will say that when I ran I found bikers by far the most considerate and aware of the need to leave a bit of space, wont say who was the worst so as not to cause a load of offence.

Seems like we are in agreement about most things, so - your thoughts on the deletion of the wide angle section on the door mirror, Good idea or bad idea?

I did post a :)  with my earlier biker comment because I didn't want to offend.

We are in agreement about most things though.

I think the deletion of the wide angle section of the door mirror is down to Skoda's continued cost cutting exercise.

After driving the wife's VW they are very handy in the car park and I agree losing them on the Octavia was/is a bad idea.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VRjest said:

After driving the wife's VW they are very handy in the car park and I agree losing them on the Octavia was/is a bad idea.

Cheers - Yes that's the bit that kind of riles. VW and Audi still get the better mirror glass.

I'm 69 years of age.  I passed my motorcycle test in 1966 and car test in 1968.  I've owned and driven many makes and types of car and motorcycle over the years.  Some even with starting handles, and heaters that were an optional extra.  I'm also a strong advocate of looking over your shoulder, be it on a motorcycle or a car.  Sometimes even while a pedestrian on the footpath.  As well as my Octavia I also still own and ride a motorcycle.  Modern cars and motorcycles now have so much technology and electronics built in that takes away too much driver input.  I have a real fear that new drivers with modern cars are now brought up to expect that the vehicle does everything for them and there's no need for driver input or common sense.  My thoughts for what they're worth  :) 

• Like 1

We have Blind Spot Detection on our Karoq and I still look over my shoulder. I'm 68 so it's probably a case that I don't trust the tech

21 hours ago, Octy0GG said:

OK so it's taken a while for me to work it out but just realised why my Octavia 3 is missing the wide angle part of the door mirror my Octavia 2 had. By enlarging the blind spot it makes it easier to sell an extra cost safety option - blind spot detection. Simply clever.

I have no doubt that blind spot detection does many clever things that a simple wide angle mirror can't but that wide angle mirror was on every car not just a small number of speced up ones.

I am very well aware of the need to check blind spots, shoulder checks and all that. The reality though is that the wide angle section on the Octavia 2 door mirror will have helped prevent quite a few accidents. Wonder also if everyone who goes from an Octavia 2 to a 3 is immediately aware of the need to take account of the inferior view offered by the door mirror.

I agree entirely, i have missed a few cars even though i turn my head, the car is still obstructed by the B pillar. Its the pits. Some slip roads are the worst for this depending on the entrance angle. Not including somthing as basic as this even though the extra cost is negligible is plain stupid.

I would expect this on a A reg fiesta popular, not on a 24k list price octavia.

• Like 1

Personally, I didn't "use" the curved mirror on the O2, nor do I miss it in my O3. Nothing can replace the certainty of looking over your shoulder, and even doing this, mistakes can happen.

If the mirror doesn't show anything, it doesn't mean that there's nothing there!

If the blind spot detection doesn't detect anything, it doesn't mean that there's nothing there!

In both cases, you should always check over your shoulder. That being said, if you're checking over your shoulder anyway, what's the point in having either of those two "aids"?!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mumphie said:

if you're checking over your shoulder anyway, what's the point in having either of those two "aids"?!

Belt, braces and string :cool:

I miss the extra information from having the blind spot mirror (it was on my previous car) but even with that there was a huge blind spot so I always look over my shoulder.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, silverden said:

I'm 69 years of age.  I passed my motorcycle test in 1966 and car test in 1968.  I've owned and driven many makes and types of car and motorcycle over the years.  Some even with starting handles, and heaters that were an optional extra.  I'm also a strong advocate of looking over your shoulder, be it on a motorcycle or a car.  Sometimes even while a pedestrian on the footpath.  As well as my Octavia I also still own and ride a motorcycle.  Modern cars and motorcycles now have so much technology and electronics built in that takes away too much driver input.  I have a real fear that new drivers with modern cars are now brought up to expect that the vehicle does everything for them and there's no need for driver input or common sense.  My thoughts for what they're worth  :) 

It's one of the reasons why we didn't spec many driver "aids" on our new car. My older daughter will be starting to drive this time next year & I want her to be able to practice in a car that doesn't do everything for her (though I'm already bricking myself about the possible effects on the car!)

As for the blind spot mirror, I almost always check over my shoulder, even when I'm not the driver - it's a good thing I do, as a friend nearly pulled out as another car pulled in on the M25 many years ago, would have been quite nasty if I'd not spotted it. However, every little helps so I'd rather have it than not. Can't remember if it was on our old Roomster but I had noticed it's not on the Octavia

Edited by Mr Statto
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

Belt, braces and string :cool:

I miss the extra information from having the blind spot mirror (it was on my previous car) but even with that there was a huge blind spot so I always look over my shoulder.

I'm all about extra information (where it doesn't "contribute" to safety), but at some point, most people will end up using it as the only source of information - even if it's just one time. Unfortunately, one time is all it takes to cause an accident...