Annoyance when reversing

Panther_uk

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or whether it's just me.

When reverse parking (usually at work) in my old Octavia I'd simply put it in reverse and let it creep backward (DSG by the way), however I'm finding in the Karoq if I do the same I only have to brake slightly too hard and it apply the park brake (Green parking brake light on the dash) and then I have to apply the throttle to get it to disengage, not good when you are reversing close to a wall.

I find this park brake very useful at junctions/traffic lights etc. as it's rendered the hand brake redundant it's just when reversing I'm starting to find it slightly annoying.

Ok first time with a dsg for me, so if in a traffic jam or queued at the traffic lights or reversing, it will creep along without your foot on the accelerator?

This is one reason I am afraid of getting a DSG because I live in a major city with huge unregulated parking problems. Can you please try again with HillHold function, (I think this is what you refer as Park Brake but do correct me if mistaken), disabled because this is the only solution suggested in various fori ?

I have this on my Leon and have to say you get used to it. I can reverse up to stuff quite easily now, but still can get some bum squeaking moments parking behind my wife's car on the drive and having to put on a dab of throttle to engage the DSG again if I pull up short. Hill hold is not easily disengaged on the Leon, but I'll look at that when the Karoq (finally) arrives.

As has previously been said - switch off AutoHold, as when we test drove the Superb and Kodiaq, when AutoHold was switched on, it didn't really give any DSG creep at all.  When we switched it off, the DSG creep was back, as we expected (from out Mk2 Superb DSG without AutoHold).

Turning it off, is just a button near the gear selector.

I'm going to get into the habit of turning it off for tight manoeuvring when our new Superb arrives. @Luckypants isn't it just a button on your Leon? has a ((A)) or something like that (on the Alhambra we test-drove, it actually said "AutoHold" on the button)

Nope, not on my 2015 SE. Manual handbrake and hill-hold on/off buried deep in a setup menu. Not something to turn on/off easily. I think the 2017 LEON face-lift may have given the option. We need it on as a rule, as living in Wales hill-starts are commonplace and that makes them a breeze.

My Superb's DSG doesn't Jerk around when manouvering slowly (doesn't have AutoHold as it's got a Manual Handbrake) so it's not purely a DSG trait.

2 hours ago, Karman said:

Ok first time with a dsg for me, so if in a traffic jam or queued at the traffic lights or reversing, it will creep along without your foot on the accelerator?

Hi Karman,

If you press and hold the brake hard enough the auto hold engages (green light on the dash) and it won't creep (or roll back) until you blip the accelerator, I find it VERY useful i traffic, but just slightly annoying when reversing ! like SKAROQ18 said I think I just need a lighter foot on the brake when reversing up :)

This may be the Automatic Emergency Brake where when reversing at low speed if the car detects the risk of collision it puts the brake on.  I have this problem when reversing into the garage and get too close to the wall.  It can be disabled in the Infotainment menu. 

The weekend after I got the DSG Karoq I stayed at a hotel where I had my own parking in a small cobbled courtyard. Some clown had parked opposite the entrance, I was going from tarmac to cobbles, on a light covering of snow, in shunts to get through the narrow entrance slowly, every time I started onto the cobbles the car lurched. I turned off the automatic handbrake and the problem was solved, I could control the car on the throttle again. After 3 DSG cars with conventional hand brakes, Roomster and 2 Yetis, this trait was new to me.

14 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this or whether it's just me.

When reverse parking (usually at work) in my old Octavia I'd simply put it in reverse and let it creep backward (DSG by the way), however I'm finding in the Karoq if I do the same I only have to brake slightly too hard and it apply the park brake (Green parking brake light on the dash) and then I have to apply the throttle to get it to disengage, not good when you are reversing close to a wall.

I find this park brake very useful at junctions/traffic lights etc. as it's rendered the hand brake redundant it's just when reversing I'm starting to find it slightly annoying.

as i understand it the green light means its the ABS holding the car all four wheels  when it goes red its the hand brake holding the car this happens when on auto hold function if you switch to manual hand brake this should let it roll

• Like 1

Unreal how many get the 'Hill Hold Assist',  'Autohold' Function',  & Electric Parking Brake confused.

They are not the same thing.

Maybe watch the various VW Group Youtube Videos on the Systems.

Then Remember what is on a Karoq now is not as was 10 Years ago on a Golf with a DSG, or 5 years ago on a Passat with a DSG.

Systems have evolved.  more user friendly,  once you read and digest the Owners Manual.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

once you read and digest the Owners Manual.

Is that the book that sits in the glove box taking up space that no one takes any notice of ? :biggrin:

I read the section on 'auto-hold' and it definitly made it a bit clearer, still had a slight issue though, I don't want to turn 'auto-hold' off as I find it great when sitting at lights, in traffic etc. however when reversing yesterday 'auto-hold' engaged as it does (too hard a right foot on the brake obviously), so thought I'll disengage it by pressing the button on the centre console and low and behold the hand brake came on :@

Oh well all this modern technology that's designed to help

• Like 1

With 'Autohold' activated try just lighter pressure on your brake.  Not guaranteed to help though.

I have only one foot driven only autos for decades with my left foot and no pedal conversions, the first i ever had an issue was on the latest Autoholds when reversing.

On some i could swear it is Reversing Sensors and 'smart anti collision' that stops me getting reversed into parking places as i am not even on the brake pedal. 1 meter away from hitting anything and the car stops quick with a jolt and passengers look as though, Doh!

All very random as to when it happens really, even with 'Autohold' off in various VW Group vehicles.

Getting in to move cars on a Driveway, Forecourt, Offroad is a total PITA seatbelt on, seatbelt off, doors closed etc.

Watching Police Officers on the Telly trying to move cars while the Drivers Door is Open and cursing Electric Hand Brakes was funny, 

but years on when they have cars with the same systems and watching Police or Recovery Drivers still doing the same is just strange.

Edited by AwaoffSki