SD Card for music

I started trying to transfer some of my old CD collection onto a 64gb, class 10 SDXC card last night.

I successfully transferred the files from the CD onto my PC, then onto the SD card and set up folders under each Album Title, then Disc number.

However, when i inserted it into the car, the layout seemed to be completely different. 

I think at least one of the albums didn't seem to be showing and some of the tracks were located in the root of the folder instead of where i actually put them!

Any idea why this could be??

Just a thought but there is a built in 30gb  hard drive if you didn’t want to buy an SD card, I ID3 tagged mine then loaded them direct to the HD

Edited by Mark7

I've managed to fill the columbus hard drive, two 128gb sd cards and 64gb usb stick. All permanently installed 

I use FLAC and of course all id3 tagged.

But not impressed with the Octy 3 sound quality. The bolero in the Mk2 was far better.

Lee

Thanks for all of the info everyone.

I have downloaded the software in the link above, but to be honest have no idea what to do with it.

I think a bit more research is in order. CD's were so much bloody easier!!

Actually, i think i have worked out the software now.

I think this is going to be a time consuming process!!

I found that ID3-ing the tracks, was easier than setting up a folder structure on the card.  I just dumped mine in the root of the SD Card, and stuck it in the radio, as I found that if I chose the Shuffle/Mix on the ICE it only mixed the folder I was in, not the entire card.  I checked the Manual etc and it showed you could do the entire media, but even following instructions, I never got it working.

You must have LOADs of music to use a 64GB card.  I have a 16GB in mine, and its only half full! :)

Right, thanks to this forum i have manged to work out how to transfer CD's to my PC na have now added ID3 tags so that they are showing up in the correct order.

I have added my first 4 albums, but before i do any more, one thing is bugging me.

I have embedded the cover art for the albums and this obviously shows up, which i can 'swipe' left or right to show each album (which i have saved in separate folders). I have actually saved each CD into a separate folder to save confusion, as it automatically names each file 'Track 01', 'Track 02'.

However, when i swipe across to some of these folders, the artwork isn't showing. Sometimes it doesn't show at all, other times it shows for a brief second just as i press on it. 

Any idea why this could be? Is it just a case that the unit cannot keep up?

Thanks. Tried again this morning and all seems fine now! 

It's a bit of a pain to do, but great when set up. Brilliant having your whole collection available literally at your fingertips!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chuno said:

I have embedded the cover art for the albums and this obviously shows up, which i can 'swipe' left or right to show each album (which i have saved in separate folders). I have actually saved each CD into a separate folder to save confusion, as it automatically names each file 'Track 01', 'Track 02'.

You seem to have fixed it now but there is a limitation of the Skoda systems that they will only accept Embedded cover art to be images of a certain size (its 300x300 or 500x500 - i cant remember which one).

mp3tag will let you add files of any size.

I have many tags with larger images which only show the generic "rock" or "alternative" or "pop" album art on my vRS.

1 hour ago, JohnnyType2 said:

for anyone with iTunes, i was able to replicate (copy and paste) the full folder structure and all tunes and was also able to copy all the playlists onto a 200gb SD card and it worked flawlessly on MIB1

Were the files stored in iTunes in mp3 format or an Apple format?

6 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

A mixture i think ill pull the card tomorrow and check again.

Thanks - that’s a neat shortcut you’ve found anyway because loading those cards a folder at a time esp. if you have to convert the files is a draaaaag.  

16 hours ago, Gabbo said:

You seem to have fixed it now but there is a limitation of the Skoda systems that they will only accept Embedded cover art to be images of a certain size (its 300x300 or 500x500 - i cant remember which one).

mp3tag will let you add files of any size.

I have many tags with larger images which only show the generic "rock" or "alternative" or "pop" album art on my vRS.

That would explain some of my missing artwork (not that I leave it on the Media screen anyway, so it's not really an issue)