My Record MPG to date

A lot better average speed on the way home, nearly an hour less but not that much an improvement in Fuel Economy. 

Car needed a damned good clean when we got home, couple of hours had it looking right as rain again. RIP the zillion flies on the front, removed by a blast with the pressure washer and a dosing of Muc-Off and a soft brush.

E0497F78-B8D6-47F1-A3DB-C1FEDB1E45C3.jpeg

18C12345-60EE-4803-9110-BEF859B88EC1.jpeg

• Like 1

Off for a good run up to Cambridegshire & Norfolk next weekend, looking forward to what I'm able to get economy wise. In the old Roomster I used to be happy with 45-46mpg from the same run, so hopefully I'll be up in the 55+ range this time

59 minutes ago, Mr Statto said:

Off for a good run up to Cambridegshire & Norfolk next weekend, looking forward to what I'm able to get economy wise. In the old Roomster I used to be happy with 45-46mpg from the same run, so hopefully I'll be up in the 55+ range this time

Good luck with it ,prepare to be mildly disappointed if you haven't got some miles up yet ,my experience has been dramatic improvement from around 4k km's on 10k up on mine now and I'd recon as much as 8k it was loosening up

Edited by 181ce
Predictive text

46 minutes ago, 181ce said:

Good luck with it ,prepare to be mildly disappointed if you haven't got some miles up yet ,my experience has been dramatic improvement from around 4k km's on 10k up on mine now and I'd recon as much as 8k it was loosening up

We're up to 1,600 miles so far, but did manage around 55mpg (indicated) on a run down to Kent a month ago. Hopefully the M25 & M11 will be clear so I can just stick it on cruise at 70mph, and then take it gently on the country roads after Cambridge

Edited by Mr Statto
  • Like 1

Just arrived home from Middlesbrough - Luton airport - Middlesbrough on one tank in my tsi 220 vrs. 450 miles in total (ave speed 59mph from start). Mpg from start according to the car was 43.9.

I've still got 20 mile range showing on mfd. I'll fill it to the brim with 99 momentum tomorrow as a treat!

Edited by GeoffLeTaxi
  • Like 1

This is the best consumption Ive ever managed on the twisting roads of northern Norway. And when refuelling, the computer was only 0.1l/100km too optimistic with the consumption.

20180415_215059.jpg

On 5/21/2018 at 14:39, Mr Statto said:

Well that was a very satisfying weekend (mpg wise) - 55.8mpg indicated, 53.92 calculated. 548 miles out of the tank (with 40 left in reserve). Would be interesting to see how much it might improve if I inflated the tyres to the Eco setting

IMG_20180529_202930211_LL.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robbijay said:

44.6 in the vrs yesterday! Best road ever too! A82 past Loch Ness all the way to Dumbarton.

37ED4BF2-7409-4D23-A8F3-FBBED9BB4470.jpeg

The A82 is a fantastic road. Don't venture up that way often but drove from Inverness to Glasgow for work a few years back. Some great driving roads and stunning scenery! It's up there as one of the best drives I've ever done.

While out on Friday, I managed this in my 2.0 TDI SEL estate. I wish it was possible more often, especially over longer journeys.

A bit of a fluke in that most of the journey was downhill :D

IMG-20180601-WA0008.jpeg

• 1 month later...

This is my best to date, commute to work mostly on A-roads and Motorway, all lights were in my favour today, very little traffic, able to keep it between 60-70mph all the way on cruise.

best-mpg.jpg

Edited by vRSWitter

On 19/04/2018 at 07:38, shyVRS245 said:

Thought I would do the commute today with no climate control, first time in 8 months to see whether it would make any difference to the typical 42/43 mpg average. Must admit a little surprised by the results. First bit 30-50 mph limits usually average 27 mpg but got 32 mpg. By the time I reach the first motorway junction usually got it upto 40 mpg but today 44 mpg and by the time I was at work at an average speed of 42mph my journey average was 47.6MPG. Impressive for a car with over 300BHP.

That sounds about right... It has oft been said that a/c saps around ten percent of the economy of a vehicle. Run low on a/c gas and it will be worse still as the system will work overtime. The general consensus is that under around 40MPH, open the windows, turn a/c off, over that, do it the other way around as the drag from open windows will reduce the fuel consumption to a lower state then the a/c will. I am guessing most of these cars are auto's. Modern petrol auto's will accelerate faster and be much more fuel efficient then older ones, even by just a few years. My 1.4 Fabia Greenline, with a manual gearbox, sounded outstanding for fuel economy when new around ten years ago but now, not so good!  I can record into the 70's if driven on dual carriageways/motorways, perhaps even into the 80's but I spnd most of the time teaching learners so manoeuvring, stop/start city driving, with a/c on almost constantly, brings down the average to a low 40mpg area. A larger engine on long distance will also work less then a smaller one so most distance work will be better in a bigger engined vehicle then a smaller one. That said, engineering has gleaned much more performance from smaller and smaller lumps these days. It took a long time for manufacturers to give a sh-concern about MPH values and emissions but they have been forced in to it in the last 20 years. Even electric cars are starting to look viable and I would almost certainly have said the opposite, just 5 years ago. Still some way away from being the norm, though and if manufacturers could gleen 140- 150 mpg from a (non hybrid) petrol vehicle with vastly reduced emissions to boot, I think electrics would be redundant.