2 litre tdi 170 mpg

What kind of average mpg should I be seeing on my 170 tdi dsg? I had a long motorway run and it only averaged 45.5 mpg over the 100 mile trip! It has had the stupid emissions "fix" and I've changed my front tyres to 225 45 18 as it was costing me too much replacing tyres constantly due to pot holes! 3 sets in 12k miles.

But I don't see the tyre change being the issue so my thoughts are is the "fix" causing the car to drink more diesel? Highest I've had it was 52mpg on the journey home with the car when I bought it which was 206 miles.

I know this has probably been asked before but the search doesn't seem to work right on my phone.

6 minutes ago, Juego said:

What kind of average mpg should I be seeing on my 170 tdi dsg? I had a long motorway run and it only averaged 45.5 mpg over the 100 mile trip! It has had the stupid emissions "fix" and I've changed my front tyres to 225 45 18 as it was costing me too much replacing tyres constantly due to pot holes! 3 sets in 12k miles.

But I don't see the tyre change being the issue so my thoughts are is the "fix" causing the car to drink more diesel? Highest I've had it was 52mpg on the journey home with the car when I bought it which was 206 miles.

I know this has probably been asked before but the search doesn't seem to work right on my phone.

Is that mpg based on the trip computer or a proper brim-to-brim test?  Also, apart from the 100 mile test, what are longer term figures looking like and is this just a recent issue?  Can't comment on post emissions as I never bothered fixing it and traded it without the fix however, in my old manual 170, the most I was getting was high forties and mid forties was about the norm.  Actually, on a motorway, doing +70/75 mph, it wont be at the optimal for fuel consumption which is probably more in the 50-60 mph range.  Good decision on the tyres!  I did the same myself and it was worth it for comfort along.  It certainly didn't make fuel economy worse either.

• Like 1

My 170 2WD DSG has had an average of 38.4 mpg over 24k, and a best of 52.3mpg - which occurred on a long relatively sedate trip.  Motorway stuff is normally mid 40's, unless sticking to about 60-65max.

It's definitely dipped since 'the fix' but I have also subsequently had the Dual Mass Flywheel replaced, so that might have some responsibility I guess.

Edited by exFiesta
add DSG

My DSG 170 is telling me on the trip it does 58-64 combined. I do 96 miles each way commute. Through traffic speed anything from 70ish cruise and through roadworks and variable speed 60 and crawling using sport mode to reduce gear, change pretty much daily both sides of journey.   Brim to brim says I do 48mpg ish pretty much all the time. However currently running winter 16s. 

Refused emissions fix and 90 of my miles are motorway. 

Edited by gav_is_con
Additions

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Juego,   i remember your posts now on using it as a Taxi and the DSG holding gear.

Did you have it checked out on the DSG issue and if The Fix related, and how many miles has it done now since you got it?

I never got the dsg issue checked due to ill health and the car is now out of warranty so just living with it as I can't afford to have it checked out. I've done now, 18k since I got it and it's had rear brake pads, front brake pads and a service including the dsg serviced. It's been great other than the holding and dropping gears at times and is a wee bit thirsty on fuel, I plan on having the car remapped when I've finished my flat.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

My DSG 170 is telling me on the trip it does 58-64 combined. I do 96 miles each way commute. Through traffic speed anything from 70ish cruise and through roadworks and variable speed 60 and crawling using sport mode to reduce gear, change pretty much daily both sides of journey.   Brim to brim says I do 48mpg ish pretty much all the time. However currently running winter 16s. 

Refused emissions fix and 90 of my miles are motorway. 

Unfortunately for me my car was emissions fixed before I got it by the previous owner, I'd have refused it otherwise as well.

Our 'unfixed' TDI170 estate (110k miles old) recently did a one month long road trip and averaged 50mpg (fully loaded to the roof and 4 people). Typically we get between 52mpg (open road) and 35 (wife driving around town). All figures as indicated on the MFD, not actual.

Is it worth rolling back the 'fix' on yours (maybe going to a tuner) or is this not possible?

5 hours ago, williamshatnerspants said:

Our 'unfixed' TDI170 estate (110k miles old) recently did a one month long road trip and averaged 50mpg (fully loaded to the roof and 4 people). Typically we get between 52mpg (open road) and 35 (wife driving around town). All figures as indicated on the MFD, not actual.

Is it worth rolling back the 'fix' on yours (maybe going to a tuner) or is this not possible?

Shark of Nottingham apparently offer the rollback service for £120. Perhaps one of their local authorised agents can perform this for you?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gav_is_con said:

Shark of Nottingham apparently offer the rollback service for £120. Perhaps one of their local authorised agents can perform this for you?

There's a guy local to me does it for £50 as he wants to help people, unfortunately he doesn't have a standard file for my car. I'm reluctant to spend anymore than that as the long term plan is a remap anyway, I also consider anything more than the £50 to be a bit expensive and just an easy earner.

• Like 1

^^^ 

Really?,  there will be VAT on that unless he does it on the side, then he pays his Insurance, overheads, tax, unless he does it on the side.

?

How much does it cost if you take me from Hamilton to Glasgow Airport with the meter on?

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Brotek in Lanark offer Shark rollbacks for about £120 I believe, considering it myself when I am clear of the 'goodwill' era....:thumbup:

I am only getting about 42MPG in my 140 4x4 if that makes you feel any better :)

I have noticed that I see a substantial difference in fuel economy between summer and winter tires. WAY worse on my winter tires. I thought for sure one or more must had been really down on pressure. Nope. All fine. Changed to summer tires.. economy back to normal.

On 25/04/2018 at 17:18, Juego said:

What kind of average mpg should I be seeing on my 170 tdi dsg? I had a long motorway run and it only averaged 45.5 mpg over the 100 mile trip!

70mph or 80mph?

A mere 10mph makes a huge difference.

Ignore the dash display, the only MPG to quote should be a manual calculation, unless the dash is known to closely mirror several manual calculations.

45mpg doesn't sound unreasonable to me for a car the size and weight of a Superb. I've averaged 50mpg over 140,000 miles in my CR140 Superb which I think is excellent.

Some peoples expectations of fuel economy isn't helped by spurious claims on online forums together with the artificial and unrealistic data spouted out by the manufacturers.

• Like 2

^^^ Are there any manufacturers that give the actual economy figures for a car with a driver, passengers, luggage driving out of doors on a road in weather?

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx 

?

Where those that had adverts that lead people to believe there were actual achievable economy figures in the real world or figures from real world testing not caught out.  eg Audi.  

Were KIA / Hyundai not made to assume the position in Canada and some of North America and give out 'Fuel Cards'  to those defrauded.

11 hours ago, silver1011 said:

45mpg doesn't sound unreasonable to me for a car the size and weight of a Superb. I've averaged 50mpg over 140,000 miles in my CR140 Superb which I think is excellent.

50 mpg That's about what my Superb I 1.9 Classic   pd100 always did (great car except for crap headlights and rust) .

My Superb II petrol is not far behind though

• Like 1

I’ve experimented with MANY driving styles in my Superb. I’ve also tried many different brands for tyres etc... 

i find as as a really rough guide, my DSG CR170 superb estate will do 540 miles to a take on a good day and 460 miles on a bad day...

many things come into play with this though.

A) Tyres - if you’re running a decent tyre, just check it’s fuel economy rating, you might be surprised 

B.) driving style - flat out or driving like miss daisy... both are self explanatory

C) driving area - town or motorway... town I’ll get anywhere from 32-45mpg and motorway anywhere from 40-62mpg depending on the factors of A & B .

i use my Superb for a living, and I can honestly say that Tyres are a HUGE factor in this question.

The tyres ive had...

Michelin’s - I can’t remember the model of tyre but they had loads of road noise and were £122 a corner..NOPE

Uniroyal RainSoort 3’s - fantastic tyre, in fact the best tyre by far for all weather driving and particularly the cost. However, they didn’t last very long. The Superb was too heavy for these tyres (in my opinion)

Dunlop Sport Sport Maxx RT2 - ive had 12 of these tyres now, bloody potholes! Great tyre, I get a lot of miles out of these tyres and I believe they are the best tyre under £120 a corner, great all round tyre 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 20vKarlos said:

many things come into play with this though.

A) Tyres - if you’re running a decent tyre, just check it’s fuel economy rating, you might be surprised 

B.) driving style - flat out or driving like miss daisy... both are self explanatory

C) driving area - town or motorway... town I’ll get anywhere from 32-45mpg and motorway anywhere from 40-62mpg depending on the factors of A & B .

Michelin’s - I can’t remember the model of tyre but they had loads of road noise and were £122 a corner..NOPE

Re mpg - In addition to A),  B ) & C) above on the petrol load weight and steep hills can really drop the mpg - the effect is much greater than with the diesel Superb I had before

Re tyres - I'm now on Michelin Crossclimates and they're really quiet, much quieter than the original Continentals - and were only about £80 a tyre (205/55 16)

Edited by bigjohn

On 25/04/2018 at 17:18, Juego said:

The tyres will be making a difference, a 225/40/18 tyre that has travelling 60 miles on the maxidot will now need the 225/45/18 tyre to travel 62 miles, for the maxidot to show it has travelled 60 miles, not much but it all ads up.

Getting 50mpg out of my MKII 170 (manual) estate was never an issue 

Further to my last post the standard 18" wheels have gone back on. There is a definate drop in MPG. The Maxidot shows less combined. My first tank comparison has dropped to 48mpg from 50mpg. Over about 566 miles that's a couple of extra quid by my calcs. Anyway too many factors and too early to say. Others have suggested 16" wheels use less fuel.

However another factor is the AVON ZV7s are F rated for fuel. No idea what my Nokian WRG2 winters could do, they are very old. 

My 2 pence worth anyway.