Ideas for the rear washer jet not working

Wench

Rear washer jet has decided to stop working. Granted I need to get a pin down it and see if it’s blocked up... 

however if it’s not that, where should I start looking to see what’s going off.

Bulkhead test- operate rear washers, and look for water under front of car. Failing that ,it's usually joint behind rear seat on passenger side. Cure for further non operation is from VAG- USE AT LEAST 50% WASH MIX. Personally, I find a 50/50 mix in summer ,with a dollop of CHEAP washing up liquid( cheap stuff does not foam, but does remove grease/oil/derv) , and in winter, a 100% mix at least + washing up liquid solves theproblem.

Both mine and my wife's fabia it comes off on the bulkhead. Look down behind the air filter housing (if it is on the passenger side) and it is by a few pipes. You don't need to take the air filter housing off to get to it but it does make it easier.

I have connected mine back together in engine bay but still no rear washer. Does it take a while to work through? Don't want to be be spraying for ages and maybe filling rear footwell!!

55 minutes ago, Wino said:

Seconds, if that.

So you either have another leak, or the outlet is blocked.

Thanks, will have another hunt........

There is another pipe joint that can come apart behind the trim next to the back seat on the passenger side.

image.png

Edited by TMB

**WARNING**

Be very careful just connecting the bulk head connector as even if the rear wiper works there is a possibility that the connectors inside the car are popped open slightly. this happened to me and if was over 3 weeks before I realised the rear passenger side carpet was soaking and stinking foisty. 

The water runs down the side of the rear sill (as in TMB's picture ) and it diverts at the bottom straight into the rear footwell so it can be a while before you notice this is happening. There are no visible or wet seats until it soaked through the deadening mat and through to the upper carpet.

If you are going to connect the bulkhead pipe I would suggest you use the BERRY scented windscreen wash and keep a nose out for the berry smell elsewhere in the car.

Mine also leaked under the boot trim but I noticed the rust  marks dripping through number plate lights quite quickly and rectified this  for the carpet though. I pulled all the trim off and lifted up the passenger carpet to let it air.  I then took the opportunity to remove the passenger front seat and give the carpet a good dry out.

If you need any pictures of let me know

Edited by Hmmbutterscotch
spellings and repeated words
  • Like 1

Just cut the awful original connectors off and sleeve the pipes with 5mm rubber hose. The rubbish connectors are only there to facilitate assembly of the pipe in sections at the factory.

w333.jpg

Edited by TMB

Well quite apt for the replies! I’ve had a better look... but I have to admit I’ve got no idea what I’m looking for! I can see any pipes hanging of, or anything that’s even looks remotely wrong!

2 hours ago, Wench said:

Well quite apt for the replies! I’ve had a better look... but I have to admit I’ve got no idea what I’m looking for! I can see any pipes hanging of, or anything that’s even looks remotely wrong!

2 second mate and ill take some zooming in pictures of what to look for just need to work out how to reduce the image resolution 

37 minutes ago, Hmmbutterscotch said:

so looking from the top the connector will be here dig your arm down from behind the air intake just behind the MAF.

Screen Shot 2018-05-06 at 14.34.32.png

Then zooming in from the front of the block just below the maf sensor you will see 3 horizontal pipes fixed to the bilk head the washer pipe connection usually rests behind these pipes 

1.png

2.png

3.png

Edited by Hmmbutterscotch