BUILDUPS OF DIRT INSIDE REAR DOORS

Tenchfisher

I have seen this issue mentioned on other forum topics, but I reckon it is worth raising in its own right. I am getting regular buildups of dirt inside the edge of the rear doors when driving in wet weather. This is being thrown up by the tyres and I'm having to clean inside the doors every few days. I raised this problem with my dealer this morning and he had a look at the doors. There is a rubber strip mounted just inside on the wheel arch, which should stop this happening, but on my car the contact between the door and the rubber strip is not satisfactory. In fact, the dealer could see daylight between the door and the strip, which should not happen. He then checked a newly delivered Karoq and found exactly the same problem. He has promised to raise this at a technical meeting he is attending next week.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem? If it is common it points to a design fault, which needs rectifying, but It may be that only some cars are getting this problem. The seal definitely looks too low  on my car.

Haven't checked the seal, but have definitely noticed the cr*p being thrown up. Be interested to hear what the dealer finds out.

Should be an easy fix for them. Just needs a rubber seal that is substantial enough to meet the doors. I can see where dirt is tracking across the seals in my car. Definitely not up to the job, don't they test these seals???

5 hours ago, Tenchfisher said:

I have seen this issue mentioned on other forum topics, but I reckon it is worth raising in its own right. I am getting regular buildups of dirt inside the edge of the rear doors when driving in wet weather. This is being thrown up by the tyres and I'm having to clean inside the doors every few days. I raised this problem with my dealer this morning and he had a look at the doors. There is a rubber strip mounted just inside on the wheel arch, which should stop this happening, but on my car the contact between the door and the rubber strip is not satisfactory. In fact, the dealer could see daylight between the door and the strip, which should not happen. He then checked a newly delivered Karoq and found exactly the same problem. He has promised to raise this at a technical meeting he is attending next week.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem? If it is common it points to a design fault, which needs rectifying, but It may be that only some cars are getting this problem. The seal definitely looks too low  on my car.

Yes exactly the same on mine. As you say, the door/rubber strip "fix" is unsatisfactory. 

4 hours ago, Panther_uk said:

Seen this discussed ALOt on the Ateca forums, seems like Skoda haven't learn't from SEAT's mistakes !

Skoda make the Ateca for Seat at their factory in Kvasiny. 

They didn't learn from their own mistakes!   :o

44 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

Skoda make the Ateca for Seat at their factory in Kvasiny. 

They didn't learn from their own mistakes!   :o

How difficult can it be?....

If it resulted in water ingress into the car itself Skoda would take it more seriously. Hopefully!?!

Hard to believe they have let this run on.

Edited by OldKaroq

Cleared out these seals on my car yesterday using a small paint brush and flushing them out with water. Really poor design, but worth keeping on top of if you intend keeping the car for any length of time as these well may end up rotting the door edges. The bottom edge of the door isn't much better where there is a small bit of plastic with a drain slot built in, yet another dirt trap which collects bits of grit etc. 

29 minutes ago, OldKaroq said:

Have you used this on your Karoq? 

No. I’ve hardly driven the car since I picked it up, been cycling to work.

If the seals do need beefing up then a bit of weatherstrip would probably do though.

I’ll wait until I’ve been out in the rain and see if the water is getting in.

Skoda and VW have been manufacturing cars for over a century and for the last decades still never got the hang of Door Seals, Belt, Chains Tensioners, Owners Manuals, 

Websites / Configurators, Translations from German, Czech, Spanish to English or American English or converting km to miles.

Vorsprung Durch Technik = hardly matters the vehicles sell.

Why bother actually testing properly, resolving matters, just discontinue models and introduce new ones with the same design, manufacturing, materials or workmanship / quality control.

• Like 2

The Yeti had a 'same but different' seal on the back doors. Always full of crap but didn't seem to actually cause a problem other than visual. The Yeti was worse as the door itself had an anti chip film on the rear edge which folded over ito the wheel arch and it retained all the muck even when washed carefully

• 1 month later...

work colleague has just purchased new ford ecosport , it has and extra plastic piece under rear arch (just visible in photo) that i think alleviates this issue of dirt build up, will get an actual proper picture when he has car in work next  , might be worth seeing if its something that could be fabricated to fit the Karoq ???

image.png.dbc21ce1c799248df8822f1a02011f80.png

On 12/06/2018 at 13:49, fabman said:

...will get an actual proper picture when he has car in work next...

No offense to your mate but the less we see an EcoSport the better. Apart from it's challenging looks, Ford can't even design the whole rear door properly farless a seal.

We have an Ateca and yes this is an issue. HOWEVER, where the grit gathers there's a small hole. As someone else pointed out, this grit hasn't caused a problem in the Yeti and probably won't cause a problem with the Ateca / Karoq. If people start modifying the seal, or start introducing new seals whos to say that won't cause a problem? Basically you're changing the design of the car. Furthermore if those VW group seals did cause a problem, there's a good chance the manufacturer will recify it. If however they find evidence of tampering, the chances are they will not recify it.

Personally I just clean the grit as I clean grit from other parts of the car when I wash it - I don't see a problem.

I think a bigger issue is the plastic wheel arch trims. Those trims are simply glued on and on my car at least I noticed them coming away slightly in the heat of late. Now if grim gets below them with no means of escape...   I'm more worried about the long-term viability of the wheel arches than the doors to be honest.

Out of interest Karoq -v- Ateca?  I much prefer the outside look of the Ateca, but the interior of the Karoq. Now there's a project for someone :biggrin:

Edited by Guest

This is going a bit off topic but I used to feel same as you about the exteriors of the Karoq vs Ateca. Having tested both, Karoq's look a lot better "in the flesh" than in photos, whereas Ateca's don't in my opinion. 

Though given I'm buying a Karoq I concede I may be a little biased :)

20 hours ago, Scot5 said:

No offense to your mate but the less we see an EcoSport the better. Apart from it's challenging looks, Ford can't even design the whole rear door properly farless a seal.

no offence taken "Mate" , simply making an observation :blush

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old post but I have just noticed that you can see daylight through the rear outer door seals. loads of mud and road debris, difficult to get in  or reach in to get anything out of the car without getting mud on clothing. Any one know if the issue is being sorted?

2018 Karok 2.0 Tdi Edition 4X4 3000 miles. Not a huge deal, but nice not to get mud on clothing.

Chris