Petrol Station: £99 charge

Chan110

and what it you don't have £99 in the bank? I can think of quite a few people who may not have that sort of cash around, especially towards the end of the month.

• Like 1

Basically, it will hold £99. The money doesn't come out of your account but you can't spend it on other things either. Once the transaction has been completed, then the correct amount will be taken from your account and rest will become spendable again.

If you have less than £99, then you'll either need to:

- pay after filling up with the cashier

- speak to the cashier before hand to get a lower limit for pay at pump

Edited by langers2k
spacing

Seems to be asda that is making the change allegedly at the request of the card providers. Not a big issue or shouldnt be but it seems that the preathorised £99 sometimes isn't  being  released  for a few days.

FWIW my local stations with PAP allow you to set a money value cutoff. Few (if any) Skodas will take more than about £60 so using this facility should reduce the size of the pe-authorisation.

i know of a few Asda places where the pumps have no kiosk, no attendee, and at the opposite end of the car park from the store, but they will be PaP only, 

therefore I can't see why they would be losing money from drive - off customers and need to up the "pre-authorisation"

Edited by Wet Kipper
thought about what I had said, and had to completely change my mind

Is there not CCTV for the safety reason?. Maybe car reg numbers mean nothing, but at least the person using the pumps will be on camera, hoody up! 

There is CCTV at the Asda unmanned pumps i use.

The UK government need to get the ANPR sorted out around the UK now that there is no Tax Discs issued, and so many un-insured vehicles driving in and out of towns.

Have them at filling station areas where vehicles need to go unless getting filled from cans or from other sources where stolen fuel is kept.

Time the police were more proactive getting dodgy vehicles and drivers off the roads.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

FWIW my local stations with PAP allow you to set a money value cutoff. Few (if any) Skodas will take more than about £60 so using this facility should reduce the size of the pe-authorisation. over £60. 

Depending on the ppl, most of my refuels this year have been over £60. Benefits of owning a Scout. 

Asda has been using this system for years. It wasn't that long ago the limit was (IIRC) £60 and then £75.

Not as bad as one services I used just off the motorway network  a few years back where you had to pay in the kiosk an agreed  £ amount before you filled up. No idea what happened if you paid too much, I was a fair few litres short of a full tank. (In many regards I still am). 

Regardless of the fact they were the cheapest (or much cheapness in Georgespeak!) for miles around, I never went back to them after that. 

55 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

FWIW my local stations with PAP allow you to set a money value cutoff. Few (if any) Skodas will take more than about £60 so using this facility should reduce the size of the pe-authorisation.

My last fill up was 56 litres @ £1.289 totalling £72.18 ;)

Personally, I don't see this as much of an issue. It protects a buyer from overdraft fees and the petrol station from rejected payments due to insufficient funds.

I expect most of us live within range of a few stations with attendants so if money is tight there are alternatives.

1 minute ago, Fin69 said:

Not as bad as one services I used just off the motorway network  a few years back where you had to pay in the kiosk an agreed  £ amount before you filled up. No idea what happened if you paid too much, I was a fair few litres short of a full tank. (In many regards I still am).

I've had something similar in the USA, I over paid (authorised?) but they only took what I'd used. It *should* be the same.

42 minutes ago, Wet Kipper said:

i know of a few Asda places where the pumps have no kiosk, no attendee, and at the opposite end of the car park from the store, but they will be PaP only, 

therefore I can't see why they would be losing money from drive - off customers and need to up the "pre-authorisation"

Allegedly it's  not asda but the cards and the banks insisting on the change. If true most pap will do the same. I'd rather we had the US EU version of this too.

5 hours ago, octyal said:

and what it you don't have £99 in the bank? I can think of quite a few people who may not have that sort of cash around, especially towards the end of the month.

I agree

For some on the borderline, what happens if it dips u into the overdraft (or non authorised overdraft)?

Or is it just credits balance?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenONeill said:

How cheap is petrol near you Ken?

My Rapid (Toledo) took £64 yesterday. I bet Octy's and Superb's have much bigger tanks too

This ASDA procedure is just to stop you taking more fuel than you can pay for. In the States you often pre-pay (card or cash) , fill up then go back in for change.

The Daily Mail story showed her bank slip with a +£99 refund right above a -£5 purchase  - a Non-story IMO.

Edited by camelspyyder

I was £77 yesterday in ASDA, 121.7 pence a litre for diesel.

Card approved for £99, Santander 123 account gets 3 pence in the £1 back. 

Cheaper currently @ Asda than from Tesco using the 123 card and swiping Tesco Card for points.

Where there is a Morrison or Asda near where there is a Costco is where there is 'much cheapness' currently,

Edited by Offski

Ahhhhh I remember the days of having £2 in my account a few days before pay day and going and putting a full £5 tank in my moped when I was 16 :D Or £20 in my Nova at 17. 

I use V Power now so dont tend to use PaP anymore but it did annoy me a bit when I would use it and it took days to come out the account. A few times I'd look and think oh it's gone out then a day or two later it would actually go. 

2 hours ago, Offski said:

I was £77 yesterday in ASDA, 121.7 pence a litre for diesel.

Card approved for £99, Santander 123 account gets 3 pence in the £1 back. 

Cheaper currently @ Asda than from Tesco using the 123 card and swiping Tesco Card for points.

Where there is a Morrison or Asda near where there is a Costco is where there is 'much cheapness' currently,

My home town £116.9 for petrol

Work Costco £112.9

Nearby work Asda £115.9

5 miles from work £111.9 (cheaper than Costco + £30+ membership!)

So I can stick £20 worth of fuel in (I usually do) at Asda PAP, we only have that anyway, no kiosk. Then I go into Asda store and do my fortnightly shop and spend over £100, what happens if I ain't got £100 in my account, do they check your card when buying groceries?

This smacks at folk not being responsible for their spending or should I say over spending so retailers are having to take sterner action. Or has been said it's the banks that want the checks done but then they'll ask you if you want a credit card to spread the cost of those must have purchases

Edited by MickA

If the P@P operates the same as other chip and pin machines it should reject any transaction where there are insufficient funds in the account. At least it does with me - when buying groceries, not fuel, so they shouldn't go over their limit. 

'When an individual chooses to pay at a pay-at-pump fuel dispenser, an initial amount is held against their account while they dispense their fuel to ensure that they have sufficient funds to pay for the cost of their fuel. This initial amount should be adjusted immediately after fuel is dispensed to reflect the actual cost of the fuel.' 

It was a the failure to adjust immediately that is the problem. If it worked as it should there would be no problem and it would benefit customers by prevent them being overdrawn.