Jay's Octavia vRS Estate

jaygemson

In preparation for the forthcoming intake modifications I spruced up the engine bay this weekend.

It was so grim beforehand that I needed to de-grease it with a strong solution of Fairy Liquid before dressing the trims with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Also added the inlet manifold cover to tidy things up a bit.  Part numbers for anyone who's interested:

• 06K103925AA - Inlet manifold cover
  • 06E103164 – Pin

IMG_1742.thumb.JPG.d6eae4b72be53159cf737bd49a3dd024.JPG

Passenger-side

IMG_1741.thumb.JPG.3cd3ccbd7ab9ef819af31fa041db6065.JPG

Driver's side

IMG_1740.thumb.JPG.50ae6ab16d90c181576dba0535f97b32.JPG

Much better!

• Like 3

Looks awesome!  Love the style of the photos too.  Did you install both yourself?  Wondering if the front bumper needs to be drilled? :)

Edited by Baillie

Cheers @Baillie :thumbup:

Yes, I fitted them myself.  For the front you need to jack the car up and get it on axle stands.  The new splitter is held onto the car initially using 4 of the existing screw points on the undertray.  I also used some masking tape around the front edge to keep it from dropping down, but if you have a helper this stage would be much easier.  You then use the remaining holes in the splitter as guides for drilling, and screw through into the lower edge of the bumper with the provided self-tappers.  It's very secure in the end, no sealant or glue required.

So yes, you will end up with a few holes in the bumper.  But if you removed the splitter you could fill these quite easily, paint them with a touch-up kit and be none the wiser.

On 14/06/2018 at 08:54, jaygemson said:

Cheers @Baillie :thumbup:

Yes, I fitted them myself.  For the front you need to jack the car up and get it on axle stands.  The new splitter is held onto the car initially using 4 of the existing screw points on the undertray.  I also used some masking tape around the front edge to keep it from dropping down, but if you have a helper this stage would be much easier.  You then use the remaining holes in the splitter as guides for drilling, and screw through into the lower edge of the bumper with the provided self-tappers.  It's very secure in the end, no sealant or glue required.

So yes, you will end up with a few holes in the bumper.  But if you removed the splitter you could fill these quite easily, paint them with a touch-up kit and be none the wiser.

How hard was it to fit the rear jay 

@p5stokes the rear was a bit more of a challenge. The tricky bit was removing the old diffuser, the tabs are pretty stubborn. I used a combination of brute force and trim removal tools to persuade each of the tabs along the top of the standard diffuser to let go of the bumper.

Once the old one is off the Rieger one slots in really easily and fits perfectly. You then use the supplied screws and spacer washers to secure it, with only two holes to drill (one on each side of the car).

Thanks @Bannon87 - It's a nice design, the only downside being that it's more difficult to install than the VWR elbow.  I suspect the gains for it being a single piece are minimal over the VWR setup, but it was recommended to me by MRC Tuning (and seems to be the intake pipe of choice amongst Golf 7R tuners too) so I went for it.

• 3 weeks later...

No major updates, just been enjoying the car and stockpiling parts ready for the next modding session :devil:

We took the Octy on a family holiday and I have to say I was really impressed with it.  Looks awesome with the roof box installed too B)

IMG_1842.thumb.JPG.7fc0b2f5d1d46275a079c74fb75192c1.JPG

IMG_1909.thumb.JPG.20ac9ab96eba8eeffea994426b991329.JPG

It was comfortable, quiet, seriously practical (especially with the roof box) and despite running the A/C constantly and getting stuck in a fair bit of traffic on the way there it still gave me nearly 36MPG:

IMG_1931.thumb.JPG.fe5dfdd9c371b4e8d23b49edb744abf4.JPG

:inlove:

• Like 1

Oh, there is a minor update!  Just remembered a cheeky mod that @SashaGrace reminded me about - LED sidelight bulbs.  Thanks Sasha!

I used to swap the sidelights for LEDs religiously on my previous vehicles, but as the Octavia has DRLs I'd not given it a second thought.  I just happened to already have some CREE LED bulbs and they worked a treat!  Very subtle difference, but the "eye lashes" now match the DRLs and generally look more vivid.  Nice touch :nerd:

BEFORE:

led-before.thumb.JPG.5d21bd5940f31585a5e824d71422eb8c.JPG

AFTER:

led-after.thumb.JPG.1b1874a83d4620e0d629749d7ce93084.JPG

led-after-big.thumb.JPG.68f1a5515ec7691b9b3a1b6515014760.JPG

Was surprised that the originals were tinted blue, and yet they still produce a yellow-ish light.  Very odd.

led-bulbs.thumb.JPG.9284a138dc8f757650a402c340a09ff4.JPG

Edited by jaygemson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maintenance update B)

The following niggles are now sorted:

• Cracked passenger side sun visor mirror
  • Creaky steering (under warranty)
  • Gearbox selector lever fault (under warranty)

More details on the warranty work here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453314-thanks-reading-skoda-dsg-gearbox-fault-creaky-steering-fixed-under-warranty/

The mirror turned out to be a really simple job!  I was worried that I'd need to peel back the headlining but after sourcing a spare part from a breaker's on eBay they reassured me that you just pull down very firmly on the main pin (that it rotates on from the corner of the roof) and it pops off.  I've heard people being charged ~£100 at the dealer for these to be replaced so I was happy with my £25 part.

Old broken mirror - 2 year old son providing the muscle for pulling it free :D

IMG_1966.thumb.JPG.e806e9e16a65a80ccca91f8983870c7c.JPG

New mirror - mint condition from eBay

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.5360ae3c485bf0b7e17084711581de87.JPG

I was going to take a photo of the finished article but the job was so simple I just walked away after that - sorry folks :biggrin: 

• Haha 1

On 27/07/2018 at 13:40, jaygemson said:

Maintenance update B)

The following niggles are now sorted:

• Cracked passenger side sun visor mirror
  • Creaky steering (under warranty)
  • Gearbox selector lever fault (under warranty)

More details on the warranty work here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453314-thanks-reading-skoda-dsg-gearbox-fault-creaky-steering-fixed-under-warranty/

The mirror turned out to be a really simple job!  I was worried that I'd need to peel back the headlining but after sourcing a spare part from a breaker's on eBay they reassured me that you just pull down very firmly on the main pin (that it rotates on from the corner of the roof) and it pops off.  I've heard people being charged ~£100 at the dealer for these to be replaced so I was happy with my £25 part.

Old broken mirror - 2 year old son providing the muscle for pulling it free :D

IMG_1966.thumb.JPG.e806e9e16a65a80ccca91f8983870c7c.JPG

New mirror - mint condition from eBay

IMG_1967.thumb.JPG.5360ae3c485bf0b7e17084711581de87.JPG

I was going to take a photo of the finished article but the job was so simple I just walked away after that - sorry folks :biggrin: 

What was the creaking steering issue??

On 28/07/2018 at 17:38, Rybu79 said:

What was the creaking steering issue??

Turned out to be a faulty front suspension top mount - as I said, full details in the thread: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/453314-thanks-reading-skoda-dsg-gearbox-fault-creaky-steering-fixed-under-warranty/

Haha, what am I, your personal shopper?   Cheeky bugger :rofl: :kiss:

As it happens I had these bulbs leftover from a previous car so I don't have a link for the exact ones I used, sorry.

They're a pretty standard fit though - these should do the trick (don't hold me responsible if they don't though): https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-PY21W-Diadem-7507LDA-02B-12V-21W-BAU15s-Signal-Indicator-Bulbs-Twin-pack/292148282557

Edited by jaygemson
  • Like 1
  • Cheeky 1

10 hours ago, Kahunajb said:

Do you know if these would also fit the fronts?

The fronts are different to the rears.  Rears are PY21W and fronts are PWY24W, according to this post at leasthttps://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/391390-led-indicator-bulbs/?do=findComment&comment=4555832

Sadly changing the front bulbs requires breaking into the rear of the headlamp unit and then applying a Skoda repair kit (~£9 per side).  I'll be doing that at some point so watch this space!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Car is looking sweet on those wheels.

Don't suppose you are after a set of coilovers and drop links that would direct fit to this. would set it off nicely. I loved them, got much lower than springs.

• 3 months later...