Jay's Octavia vRS Estate

jaygemson

• 2 months later...

By far the nicest estate thread I have read through, the car looks stunning and is great inspiration for me - I hope to buy myself a VRS estate on Sat.

Thanks for such a pleasurable read - anymore updates??

Si

Cheers SiT 🤗

No major updates at the moment, but a few in the pipeline...

I picked up a Scorpion downpipe (with sports cat), so that's sitting there screaming to be fitted - I just need to make my mind up on a tuner for stage 2 ECU and TCU remaps.  Torn between MRC Tuning, R-Tech Performance or Racingline 🤯

Also acquired a spare set of tailpipe trims ready to be sprayed black in my (non existent!) spare time.  So far they're prepped and primed, so half way there!

Other than that it's just had a minor service and it's not missed a beat on all sorts of family expeditions, school runs and the daily commute.  Great car!

• 3 months later...

I've just read this through properly for the first time. 

Great effort on the intercooler. People don't always realise how much longer things take on a drive with jacks and axle stands. That takes 20 minutes on it's own by the time you've got it all out, in position and up in the air. No drive it on a ramp, line the 4 post legs up and press a button!

It gives a great sense of self satisfaction though!

Kirkynut 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2020 at 23:07, Towelie said:

Looks great! How easy was the front Splitter and skirts to fit? Did you use self tappers or is it bolted?

Cheers Towelie!  Love the username by the way 😆

Splitter and skirts weren't too bad.  The front splitter is made easier by the fact that you re-use some of the existing screw holes, which then holds the splitter in place whilst you drill and screw the remaining holes.  Side skirts are slightly tricker as all of the mountings are drilled and held with self-tappers.  I chose to cut out a small section of the splitter to provide clearance around the rear sill jacking point too.  Both would be a lot easier with two people that's for sure, but manageable alone if you have enough useful boxes around to keep everything propped up 👍

• Thanks 1

On 14/05/2020 at 10:23, kirkynut said:

Great effort on the intercooler. People don't always realise how much longer things take on a drive with jacks and axle stands. That takes 20 minutes on it's own by the time you've got it all out, in position and up in the air. No drive it on a ramp, line the 4 post legs up and press a button!

It gives a great sense of self satisfaction though!

That job was a real mission 😰  You're absolutely right though, it's so satisfying when the job's done and you know no corners have been cut.  Not to mention the bonding Father/Son time in the process which is priceless IMO.  Very much doubt I'll remove it when I sell the car though so the next owner's in line for a freeby!

• Like 1

My black VRS boot badge was fading, and it'd always bothered me that it was larger than the original chrome badge anyway, so I replaced it with a 'Glowing Red' emblem from Superskoda.

The red sections are reflective at night - such a gimick I know but I'm easily pleased 🤗

ACtC-3fw_Ubny7nxgbxw8rSE9SneMXv0WmT0d_IA

• Like 2

Fitted a new steering wheel today 🥰

I’ve never been a fan of flat bottoms (😜) and one of the best upgrades on my old S4 was a chunky RS5 wheel, so when a round steering wheel with DSG paddles popped up on eBay I grabbed it and sent it straight off to Jack at Royal Steering Wheels. They did an amazing job - thickness increased by 2mm, fresh perforated leather to match the original, red stitching and a cheeky red sight ring to finish it off (inspired by the Golf GTI Clubsport).

Took around an hour to swap over and transplant the trims and buttons. Feels so much better to drive now - the new wheel fills out your palms and it no longer bumps through your hand when manoeuvring.  Love it!

Old flat bottom wheel

ACtC-3eEZULvdAPWe_MiLBjilsu4OtkX_GMK6jgq

Airbag removed

WcB85JJdyd6ot6tgFpbtO3oXJZXgUQeokEEWAKPV

Wheel removed (M12 spline bolt)

ACtC-3cv6EqDftRMd7W650WZbtt3fCKL7SXvzh4-

Side by side ready for trim and paddle transplant

FyBpL973SHBFngKQuiyFn6VaBZWGcFFN_uMjCmkt

Paddles fitted to new wheel
ACtC-3fqJQw9LbFdU1Bom59QwMRnxZAWiFRqOXhR

Paddles and trim moved onto new wheel
pQa5JM2qJfOj_mz5qZIvAxVnjbXWg7q5qZZuAMIV

New wheel fitted
cLAUh4CiipTL_P14bNzdesaLhJY9urcXuJswYrKC

Airbag connected and pushed back on
r5sKGQ2_oICrIXWCGKHyVFuQmTCZNgYcWwF9EqKF

wheel.thumb.jpg.c934e50378492b6cf5fb244ee644ca9b.jpg

This might not be everyone's cuppa tea, but for me it was well worth it.  Call me old fashioned!

Edited by jaygemson
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Never had a flat bottomed wheel, once talked to a bloke in a tyre place who had endless problems with an audi with a flat bottom wheel that several garages could not make it line up correctly when driving straight ahead, said he was sick of it.

Anyhow great thread, nice motor.

• 3 months later...
Been a while since I got my hands dirty!  Good to finally get these parts fitted...

ACtC-3eEHjLR0TlkbD-EBD-FUm-I8BuduNw-B1Ik

ACtC-3fDPgf3pIHtkumEYPmc4tuTfiUszvZVX3jf

ACtC-3cuM3iLUtOPc0T4lpA2McRH3v0dD_I8j0Ao

ACtC-3fmEZv3UiXq2UYr5Vfo3PIYj81eCRDv4mDd

ACtC-3dZodIdlMWVRRB0KR3QQBvs6KwOgD6UnuDR

The wiper arms just would not come off their posts, so whilst I waited for a special puller to arrive I dosed the strut top bolts with WD40 and let them soak. Was concerned about the strut mount nuts spinning but mine came loose without any problems thankfully.

Strut brace was a tight fit - had to persuade the firewall forward a few mm by hand, but otherwise it fitted like a glove.   I’ll report back on handling improvements once I’ve taken it for a spin.
Edited by jaygemson
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/10/2020 at 16:34, jaygemson said:
I’ll report back on handling improvements once I’ve taken it for a spin.

I've put a few miles on it now and my first impression remains the same - the turn-in, and in fact the steering in general, is more direct.  Seems to have sharpened up the front-end nicely.  Can't say that it's night and day different, but an improvement nonetheless.  No compromises other than adding a bit of weight over the front axles.

• 3 months later...

Hi mate new here,

Just had a read through this, absolutely stunning motor. The VWR wheels tick every box for me, look just right :thumbup: 

Have you fitted the downpipe yet? Curious to see how it affects the sounds with the resonated scorpion. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 05/02/2021 at 16:13, JPez said:

Hi mate new here,

Just had a read through this, absolutely stunning motor. The VWR wheels tick every box for me, look just right :thumbup: 

Have you fitted the downpipe yet? Curious to see how it affects the sounds with the resonated scorpion. 

Welcome!  Cheers for the kind words :blush:  

Really sorry for not getting back to your comment before now, and sorry to everyone for the lack of updates recently.  Lockdown's been a struggle but my love for the car remains and there have been some pretty serious upgrades over the last few months.

So yes indeed, the downpipe has now been fitted!  And better still the generic remap that I bought the car with has been replaced with Racingline's finest ECU and TCU software to match.  Huge thanks to Adam and the guys at AWTuning (http://www.awtuning.co.uk/), I couldn’t have asked for better service from beginning to end, thoroughly recommended.  They fitted the downpipe, checked and adjusted the rest of the Scorpion system, fitted a REVO lower engine mount bush to help control the engine movement and got the ECU and TCU mapped all within the space of half a day.  Monster effort!

ACtC-3fn5XpLm366rGv5Ho-TKJ1201v0yQV3h9bw

Downpipe looks lush in the engine bay!

ACtC-3cg1C4xOaprvfr4DN43hy9iFAwmT5rqtLIY

And how is it? Excellent.

Smooth as butter when trundling about and then just strong, linear power all the way to the redline.  Previously it would hesitate occasionally under partial throttle, and the power felt like it tailed off towards the redline - not anymore! I opted for ‘pops and bangs’ to add a bit of drama and I was nervous as I didn’t want anything OTT, but I’m pleased to report that they’re very nicely judged. Only active when pushing on (and disabled in Eco mode) you provoke it on overrun when backing off the throttle at higher RPMs to give a cheeky but authentic sounding crackle/pop. Can’t help but grin every time!

• Like 2

On 02/03/2021 at 22:07, jaygemson said:

I've also completed an OEM+ brake upgrade. This one's been a long time in the making!

It all kicked off when I found a set of scruffy TTRS 4-piston Brembo calipers and 370mm discs in summer last year for a bargain price, but they were nasty! The calipers were sent away to be stripped and refurbished by Brake Caliper Refurbs (https://brakecaliperrefurbs.co.uk/) whilst I cleaned the rotors and polished the bells by hand. HEL supplied some braided lines specifically for the conversion.

Before:

ACtC-3fHH8ia5IMHyf3-xSa-qXysA6AmN53CmGud

After:

ACtC-3fh3qqvshKQccVmqLgD9oHMrfQWVgTZYQGL

On the rear are Golf mk5 R32 calipers+carriers with 310mm MTEC drilled discs to match the fronts. EBC RedStuff pads all round and ATE fluid.

ACtC-3dv3LT2_6p0r_Ww7aQJQqZJJHZpEmRRIDIn

Due to a comprehensive lack of time (thanks in part to homeschooling and fatherhood in general) I enrolled the services of a good friend and Audi master tech who now has his own mobile workshop.  So huge thanks goes out to Rob at RIO Autotech (https://rioautotech.co.uk/) who came out to me and went above and beyond to get the job done.  Awesome work!

ACtC-3eLyAmYHsaj_7n3tdhLsJVD5qfLP8IAiLub

ACtC-3ccHaXW87jE2SMpDA3AMl5YV7Ph9szXriJ-

Currently struggling under lockdown to get any miles on to bed it all in, but it looks the part and should provide a lot more stopping power and consistency when we're finally allowed out to play again!

ACtC-3dMWL9A7BGnCkOrvz_CS6_o6_0ic5LwtSjG

ACtC-3f9GH6BxgP56JVuTgBXn6gdISoCnVtBaOdD

ACtC-3c_zjMXHy31FSWzUKkrzey8x3mCW5r1gsbk

Mate those brakes took this up to another level! Looks class! 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers @RustRazor22 and @Towelie, appreciate that :emoticon-0157-sun:

Just went back and re-read my first post:

Plans include:
  • Rieger splitter and diffuser
  • Remus or Scorpion exhaust system
  • Eibach springs
  • Alternative 19" wheels (not a huge fan of the Xtremes, and I prefer not to run spacers so will look for a lower ET to increase the track width)
  • Stage 2 tuning (most likely using VWR hardware and MRC software)
  • RS3/TTRS brake setup

With the brake upgrade that's everything done!   So what next?! :thinking:

• Like 2

That Downpipe looks lovely, can't beat a bit of TIG! 
Would love to hear it if you get chance at all for a quick clip.

Starting to stockpile parts now for when the warranty is up & balancing it with a extension/the mrs not seeing it :smirk:

How does the lower mount fair up when driving?

whats next.... Rear ARB? 

Cheers.:thumbup: