How To: Change those pesky front indicator bulbs

jaygemson

Good write up! They are the exact bulbs I got and they are the best I could find after hours of searching for something the same size as the originals with a light pattern that fills the reflective surface of the headlamp.

1 minute ago, Plantman said:

Great write up!

Do you have to actually cut the plastic to get at the indicator bulb to change it? Madness!

Yes, though the plastic you cut is thinner and indented from the surrounding bit. But yeah, absolutely silly idea.

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

Good write up! They are the exact bulbs I got and they are the best I could find after hours of searching for something the same size as the originals with a light pattern that fills the reflective surface of the headlamp.

Cheers!  One of your posts led me to those bulbs, thanks for the tip :thumbup:  They're not the most attractive but like you say they do the job perfectly.

• Like 1

This thread will soon disappear off the first page and be lost forever, any chance we can move this to the guides section for future reference and for directing other members to?

• Like 3

:clap::clap: Superb guide, or should that be octy guide? Well done and with great photos. I might well give it a go. Mine have been flashing now off and on for nearly  4 years and I hope they will last until the weather warms up!

Can you let me us know the distance from blade tip to rear of your knife? I have loads of modelling knifes like X-Acto but they are all solid handles so I would need to cut one down. Just toying if it would be possible with a 90degree and a cutting wheel the same size as the cover slot.....

Edited by ajw1100
  • Haha 1

On 04/01/2019 at 19:08, silver1011 said:

This thread will soon disappear off the first page and be lost forever, any chance we can move this to the guides section for future reference and for directing other members to?

Looks like this has been done.  I think this might be my first ever sticky post!  :party:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ajw1100 said:

:clap::clap: Superb guide, or should that be octy guide? Well done and with great photos. I might well give it a go. Mine have been flashing now off and on for nearly  4 years and I hope they will last until the weather warms up!

Can you let me us know the distance from blade tip to rear of your knife? I have loads of modelling knifes like X-Acto but they are all solid handles so I would need to cut one down. Just toying if it would be possible with a 90degree and a cutting wheel the same size as the cover slot.....

haha, very good :giggle:

I was very fortunate that my scalpel was designed to split in two, and grip the blade by tightening down on the main handle.  So I could use the small half (with great care) with the blade tightened down with two nuts locked together.  The overall length of this setup is 75mm.

1 hour ago, FluffyEyeball said:

I did mine only yesterday. Took many hours and bruised hands to get it done. 

I Gave up, getting to dark so just put the plastic protector plates on , I'll go back to it tomorrow

• 1 year later...
On 04/01/2019 at 21:26, jaygemson said:

IMG_2499.thumb.jpg.e87dd25f11bf04e46e02552e0b82bd32.jpg

Where does this repair patch come from?

One of my lights has a crack along the edge (looks like someone may have started doing this job) and I need to reseal the light.

Thanks

On 29/07/2020 at 21:43, jaygemson said:

@wagonist I bought mine from a Skoda dealer (part number 5L0998295) but you could also try Mike at Coverdale Car Parts 👍

Cheers. New to Euro cars. That place might be a bit far as I'm in Sydney, Australia ;)

Worked out that it's a Skoda part number and picked up a pair today.

Mind you, I should find somewhere that can ship. One of the covers over the ISOfix in the back seat is missing and Skoda Australia don't sell that part...

• 1 year later...

Bit of bump here, but is the process the same for the MK3 facelift, ie. near impossible?

I note that the indicator bulb is in a different position on mine compared to the pictures from OP - mine appears to be in its own housing underneath the headlight, in the inner section of the headlight.

To steal and modify another briskoda user's photo;

headlight.jpg.4ea47895f9f5119ec48e0a69fbf76d95.jpg