standard tailgate opening

Hi, 

I'm quite prepared to believe this is something I have done, but I'm not sure what,  the other day I approached the car with a large box keys in my pocket as the car has KESSY, I tried to open the tailgate with the button on the tailgate and nothing. 

I have tried going into the infotainment settings but nothing seem to let be open the tailgate by hand, the only way is via the keyfob ! 

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

I don't have Kessy but if I want to open the tailgate I've got to unlock the car or press and hold the boot release on the keyfob (which doesn't unlock the rest of the car). 

Check on your setting for Kessy entry that all are ticked, I think but can;t recall for definite that you can eight unlock the driver's door, all the doors or all points of entry. 

It's like when you only use the driver's door often, when you press the unlock but on the keyfob of regular keys, it'll only open the driver's door and so have to press it again to unlock the other doors. 

It'll be something to do with security like when you drive off, it'll lock the doors, but stop and it'll let you open the doors, but get out and open the tailgate and it'll be locked. So you need to press the boot release button on the centre console or the unlock button also on the centre console. 

Thanks for you Reply SVEND, 

I've just been out and had a good play, changed options and reset locking back to factory, and I still can't open the tailgate unless I use the key even with all the other doors unlocked, I'm starting to think there is a fault with the pressure switch on the tailgate to be honest.

I have KESSY. I can open the boot by the release button even if the car is locked, assuming I have the key in my pocket. I'm talking about a hatch, though, not a tailgate, and it's manual, not electric. Not sure if this is helpful...

Sam as freelunch here. I have a hatch with kessy and as long as I have the key in my pocket the boot opens even when the car is locked. 

I'd go with the faulty switch and take it to the dealers to be checked. 

With Kessy it is designed so that you can open the tailgate with the car locked, providing you have the key on your person. If you have virtual peddle you can wave your foot under the tailgate and it opens, a great feature when your hands are loaded.

+1 on open with button on tailgate even if the car is locked, with keys on u.
or karate kick under the boot to open and/or close.

i have a hatch with kessy and electric tailgate.

handy as u can chuck something in without having to unlock the doors.  as soon as u close the boot, the car relocks the boot automatically.  no need to press any buttons to re-lock.

Edited by JR RS

12 hours ago, Superbstu said:

Hi, 

I'm quite prepared to believe this is something I have done, but I'm not sure what,  the other day I approached the car with a large box keys in my pocket as the car has KESSY, I tried to open the tailgate with the button on the tailgate and nothing. 

I have tried going into the infotainment settings but nothing seem to let be open the tailgate by hand, the only way is via the keyfob ! 

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

I've had this once, but I think it was due to local interference (I was parked next to a car wash) as the normal unlock had also seriously reduced range (had to pretty much stand next to the door) and it was fine when the car was moved to another location, end ever since.

I have an estate (manual opening) with KESSY and the boot always opens on the button regardless of the car being locked or not. I’d go with flyingpigvrs and get it checked

I've kind of got the opposite, I can open the not with the button, but when I try to close it nothing happens. I was playing with OBDeleven, so it's probably my fault.

However,I noticed a setting in the software to say weather or not there is a button on the boot. Maybe that's been turned off somehow.

Firstly thanks for all your help with this, I have been out with all three keys and tried everything, and the only way the tailgate will open is via the keyfob. 

I will take the car in to the dealer and get them to sort it out as it's very annoying ! 

Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Superbstu said:

Thanks for you reply, my car doesn't have either of these buttons.

You dont have a button like this?

tailgate-button.jpg.24d2cbdd9991d8222524a8a45ffbf400.jpg

Do you mind if I ask, what country do you live? I thought that tailgate opening from inside comes as a standard.

I have Kessy Estate car and I can open tailgate with virtual pedal and from centre console in cabin but not with my key fob. Figure that one out. 

On 15/05/2018 at 19:04, alf.onso said:

You dont have a button like this?

tailgate-button.jpg.24d2cbdd9991d8222524a8a45ffbf400.jpg

Do you mind if I ask, what country do you live? I thought that tailgate opening from inside comes as a standard.

I'm in the UK, and no I don't have a button like that but mines a manual opening tailgate.

Just to update. 

I have today been to the local Skoda dealer, and after a bit of messing on the computer I was informed that there is a known fault on Superb Octavia and Yeti tailgates, it's something to do with the tailgate pin and going out of range for the button to work, either way a fault that need to be sorted.

Thanks again for your help everybody.

14 hours ago, Danny 57 said:

Do you have a Superb, Yeti or an Octavia.:D

lol.....that would explain why @Superbstu doesn't have the console button, as per the pics in the previous posts!!!

unless Superbs without power tailgates don't have this centre console button either!  then u can scratch my comment above :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hatch with kessy, without power tailgate and there is no such button in the console or anywhere else. Actually, you cannot release the mechanism that holds the tailgate with any way other than pressing the button that is on the tailgate itself. You can lock it or unlock it but not open it. If you are outside with the keyfob you unlock it the moment you push the button to open it. If you are inside and the tailgate is locked (like if you were moving and stopped) you have to press the button that unlocks the doors for someone else to open it or you can get out with the keyfob on you.