Fed up with 18's - should I go 17?

The number of tyres we are getting through is beyond a joke... We live in a very rural area with dreadful lanes and it seems even the smallest pothole can kill a tyre and it's proving expensive... 

We've had the car from new and it's brilliant apart from this tyre issue. 

It's a Elegance with the standard 18 inch wheels and I'm thinking going to 17s which won't look as nice but might save money in the long term - are there any other options? 

What's original spec in 17s as I don't really want to go aftermarket and are there any other implications - tyre pressure monitoring etc etc

Many thanks 

Edited by Kt1966

Thanks for that - do 16s look ok ? I just thought they might look a bit, well small ??   Any recommendations on which wheel ? Like to keep it OEM if poss.

Thanks

I bought a set of winter 16" when i bought the car 5 years ago, just for winter use, (October to april/may.

In these years I have had to buy at least two 18"tyres each year and two complete wheels.

The 16's still have the original tyres and look hardly worn, I have therefore decided the 16's are staying on from now on.

That is a hard decision as the L&k wheels are beautiful and played a  part in me choosing the car but enough is enough.

I could potentially sell the four (+ two scratched) 18" sirius  for enough to fund replacement 16" tyres for years to come.

go with 16" if cost is the main factor.

• Like 2

Thanks. I know what you mean, it's just so expensive to run and there seems absolutely no margin for error - one pothole and that's it....

Which wheels did you go for ?? (I do want to get something which looks "right" for the car) and are/were there any issues with ABS/tyre pressure warning etc etc.

Thanks

• Like 1

A drop to 16's will be fine and all the sensory stuff will function as normal.

Use www.willtheyfit.com to check 'new' versus 'old' set up. My guess is you'll be looking at 205/55/16 tyres or close to.

The 'critical' element is that the rolling radius is as close to the 'old' set up as possible. 

Be sure that you get 5x112 stud pattern for the 'new' wheels with a centre bore of 57.1mm and remember that the lower the offset (ET) the farther out the outside edge of the rim will poke out.

I have a rough set of skoda rims in my garage that I rebadged VW as winters for my wife's Touran. Happy to part with them for £100

HTH

Thanks - that's a nifty website and helpful. My wife tends to use the car mainly for work stuff so looks are inevitably important, but thanks for your offer.

Every model has an optimal wheel size and I think 17s are it on the Superb II (I'd be inclined to say 18s on the Superb III maybe).  There is a notable difference in comfort as well.  I've had both 17" and 18" wheels on Superbs in the past and 17s don't look too small IMO.  The difference between 40 and 45 profile is more noticeable than you think as well.  Out of frustration, I changed my tyre type from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18 on my last Superb after the first set.  This saved me having to get a new set of wheels and I got the benefit of a higher sidewall with less chance of damage as well.

Yeah I had 18" on my Octavia vRS. The slightest knock or hole would pop them. Cost me a fortune during the 5 years I had it. My superb is a greenline so came with 16" as standard. They look fine on the car and are low cost to replace.

• Like 1

That's interesting - didn't realise there was a 225/45.. Doesn't it make the tyre/wheel combo too tall though ? ( I know it's only a few mm but still)....

23 minutes ago, Shaunieboy said:

16's don't look as daft as they probably should on the mk2. I'm happy with the look.

20180520_152524.jpg

That's cheating!! The Greenline sits lower and is therefore better places to pull off the 16's. ;)

Looks good on those rims B) they look to have more 'poke' than 'standard' what's the ET?

• Like 2

So many options..... 16 or 1 7is the key question it seems then....

Any recommendations on the names of some decent ones aand where's best to look at getting them from ?? (OEM ideally)

Edited by Kt1966

Going for 16's on my Alhambra was the only way to go, cars do not look cool in a lay-by with tyres blown and rims buckled.

Function over style any day.

& fitting CrossClimates worth every penny.

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1342.JPG

DSCN1522.JPG

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jonny5ive said:

That's cheating!! The Greenline sits lower and is therefore better places to pull off the 16's. ;)

Looks good on those rims B) they look to have more 'poke' than 'standard' what's the ET?

Thank you sir. I suppose it is cheating a bit! I've no idea on the ET to be honest... 47 rings a bell. 

I think there's a thread already going on here regarding Greenline springs actually, could be an option for the OP if they were to go with the 16s and didn't want the big gap in the arches.

56 minutes ago, Kt1966 said:

Any recommendations on the names of some decent ones aand where's best to look at getting them from ?? (OEM ideally)

Check the For Sale section.

These will fit 

Another option but check fitment with OP

1 hour ago, Offski said:

Going for 16's on my Alhambra was the only way to go, cars do not look cool in a lay-by with tyres blown and rims buckled.

Function over style any day.

& fitting CrossClimates worth every penny.

DSCN1331.JPG

DSCN1342.JPG

DSCN1522.JPG

Quite like those Orions actually -they'd do the job I guess and easy to sort out. Do Skoda fit Toyo tyres as standard these days ??

Thanks for your help as well.

This had been discussed a lot on here. I am also contemplating the same. Figured 17" was the best compromise. Keeping a large wheel from the standard 18's. I have run 16" throughout winter and it's the comfort mainly that makes you want to change, in my own case anyway. Yet to shell out on a set of tyres so maybe that will sway me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonny5ive said:

Be sure that you get 5x112 stud pattern for the 'new' wheels with a centre bore of 57.1mm and remember that the lower the offset (ET) the farther out the outside edge of the rim will poke out.

Simply stick to the default ET45 for 16" wheels. This gives by far the best compromise in handling and looks.

And then enjoy the extra comfort and long service life of your new wheels!

Edited by andrehj
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Kt1966 said:

The original  S/Greenline spec wheels 16" are the Spectrum alloys as fitted to the Superb II (205/55/R16) and the Yeti but with different size tyres (same wheel though). I have 205/55/R16 94 V XL Michelin Crossclimates fitted - very quiet and amazing ride.

I bought a second set through this forum for my Continental ts850 winter tyres

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 2

The roads are pretty crappy where I live. I was worried that I would have problems with potholes and my 17" rims but they have been great.

Pics below are "Laurel" alloys as factory fitted to my S2 Elegance. Cars around here (West of Ireland where we grow potholes it seems) are a problem for the 18" but those of us with 17" on the Superb have been fine and like the ride. I tried an S2 with 16" and found the ride a bit more comfortable on the bad roads but the cornering was a not as good. 

Weight: 12.00 kg
Number of bolts: 5
Wheel dimensions: 7.5J x 17", ET 49

Designed for cars: Superb II with 225/45 R17 tyres 

PIC_3T0071497B_7ZS_1.jpg

gallery_142547_2007_290829.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, they also look  good. I'll see if there's any about..... 

Reassuring about the 17s as well.... Decisions decisions