Fed up with 18's - should I go 17?

This post from Chimaera a few months ago gives all the tyre & wheel sizes which are Skoda-approved. It also shows which ones can be used with chains - worth bearing in mind if you ever go anywhere snowy!

I'd go for 17" if I had the choice (we have 18" Thermistos) or 16" if I drove on gravel roads or very poor surfaces frequently.

Lots of VAG options. Some of the VW ones looks great too.

Here is what was available new in 2010. May be different for different markets.

5b04e59f83d20_2010wheeloptions.thumb.png.12d476bb85b9e44a447cd7b69b1fc50d.png

23 hours ago, Kt1966 said:

Thanks. I know what you mean, it's just so expensive to run and there seems absolutely no margin for error - one pothole and that's it....

Which wheels did you go for ?? (I do want to get something which looks "right" for the car) and are/were there any issues with ABS/tyre pressure warning etc etc.

Thanks

I have plain 16" steel rims bought from skoda Bickerton if memory serves, they fitted the tyres and sent the lot out.

I have had various trims , nothing looks as good as the alloys but that's the price uyou pay.

there again how good does an alloy look after dropping in a pot hole full of rubble.

That previous posting got me thinking... It seems there is a 225/45 for an 18... Would that extra height make much of a difference - would be a very good solution if so... 

8 minutes ago, Greenline3Matt said:

IMHO the 16's simply look lost on such a big car. I run 18's for the summer and 17's in the winter (And I always look forward to putting the 18's back on). 

I have them on mine and you are not wrong, but it is a price I'm quite happy to pay for not having to dodge around every road imperfection.

They are not the nicest 16s and I have thought of looking for some better ones or possibly trying some 17s but I didn't buy this car to spend money on unnecessarily.

What do you reckon to fitting 225/45 then? Would they fit in the arches... Would it give much greater margin for error? 

Edited by Kt1966

In defence of 16" wheels. Vs 18" - its going to cost nearly £100 per tyre more for a something like a Crossclimate

( 205/55 16.   vs.  225/45 18 )

I'm a cheap northerner but come on, that's daylight robbery. Hypothetically, if money wasn't that important you would have just gone for an S6 instead of a Superb in the first place? :D;)

• Like 1

This is probably a good time to be looking for smaller wheels for VAG cars since the scrappage schemes will have increased the scrappies' intake.

While it's trivial compared to the cost and durability issues, the smaller wheel/ larger tyre combination is probably lighter than the standard, especially if the tyre is slightly narrower too. The motoring journos often mention the benefit of lower unsprung weight for wheels.

Also bear in mind that acceleration and braking is not as good on the 16 as it is on the 18, there is less rubber gripping the road, and of course that is good for economy.

If you want to push your car then go for 17" if not 16"

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:34, Kt1966 said:

That's interesting - didn't realise there was a 225/45.. Doesn't it make the tyre/wheel combo too tall though ? ( I know it's only a few mm but still)....

Its not the most popular tyre size but yes, it does exist alright.Might have to order as opposed to having them off the shelf.  Clearance was fine and it actually made it look better IMO, definitely not too tall.  I went through three sets of 225/45s and apart from a very minor difference on the speedo reading, I never had any issues with them.  It's just about as much as you can push it though.

Edited by Superb170
  • Like 1

Thanks for that - might be a good compromise I think....An expensive tyre but maybe not as cheap as having to buy new wheels all factored in.... That extra height has to help a bit as well surely with potholes ?

On 23/05/2018 at 22:36, Kt1966 said:

That previous posting got me thinking... It seems there is a 225/45 for an 18... Would that extra height make much of a difference - would be a very good solution if so... 

Remember that this would be non-standard size so you'll need to contact your insurance provider - or you could be in big trouble.

• Like 1

If I lived in the UK I would fit 15 inch wheels with 32 inch BFG AT tires. ;)

Seriously, I just finished a road trip from Germany to the top of Scotland, going through the entire island along the way. The road quality was absolutely shocking. I have been in just over 50 countries by now and I can say that the A roads in the UK are among the worst I have ever driven. Pot holes so massive that you either drive into head on traffic or fall into the center of the earth.

The motorways were fine of course. I only speak of the A roads.

Even through the Cotswold. Hard to imagine that you guys don't scream bloody murder considering what you pay in taxes.

Lovely trip though, other than the roads. Great luck with the weather on Skye.

Wife was disappointed we didn't get invited to the royal wedding since we were heading back that way on the day.

• Like 3

I use 16" VW Road America with an ET 37 for the winter. These do not look lost in the wheel arch and are as flush with the car body as 18", just smaller and they give a more comfortable ride.

I think the comment on acceleration is only true when you try and push the envelope.

1 hour ago, pablomax said:

If I lived in the UK I would fit 15 inch wheels with 32 inch BFG AT tires. ;)

Seriously, I just finished a road trip from Germany to the top of Scotland, going through the entire island along the way. The road quality was absolutely shocking. I have been in just over 50 countries by now and I can say that the A roads in the UK are among the worst I have ever driven. Pot holes so massive that you either drive into head on traffic or fall into the center of the earth.

The motorways were fine of course. I only speak of the A roads.

Even through the Cotswold. Hard to imagine that you guys don't scream bloody murder considering what you pay in taxes.

Lovely trip though, other than the roads. Great luck with the weather on Skye.

Wife was disappointed we didn't get invited to the royal wedding since we were heading back that way on the day.

Aye, we're a bit pushed with paying for infrastructure in other European countries at the moment.

I went for the best of both worlds.

17" for aesthetics and 225/50 for pothole resistance.

Still plenty of wheel on show but with higher profile tyres to fill the arches and better able to cope with our poor roads.

Sure, they're not an approved size (at least on the Superb, they are on the Passat and A4) but the scaremongering about insurance is just that.

The car rides lovely, tyres prices are reasonable, they look quite smart and I no longer drive down unlit roads with my buttocks clenched.

IMG_8305.thumb.JPG.819b2e6785d32ecf40baee29b20ad5a6.JPG.14be7e93793db5e330409cbecca4dc9b.JPG

IMG_8312.thumb.JPG.7eb81dda6a0c946f604b481d0dd2c3f2.JPG.cbdd0bb554bfe2ecd0ac2b2be5435f6c.JPG

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

scaremongering about insurance is just that

I'm glad to see someone in Britain has not lost out at the hands of insurance companies small print.

I was told categorically from one insurer that not only must my tyres and wheels be of an approved type and size but that I had to notify them each time I changed from winter to summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

I went for the best of both worlds.

17" for aesthetics and 225/50 for pothole resistance.

Still plenty of wheel on show but with higher profile tyres to fill the arches and better able to cope with our poor roads.

Sure, they're not an approved size (at least on the Superb, they are on the Passat and A4) but the scaremongering about insurance is just that.

The car rides lovely, tyres prices are reasonable, they look quite smart and I no longer drive down unlit roads with my buttocks clenched.

IMG_8305.thumb.JPG.819b2e6785d32ecf40baee29b20ad5a6.JPG.14be7e93793db5e330409cbecca4dc9b.JPG

Those wheels look good, what are they called? 

Thanks 

You won't be alone, insurance companies stand by their terms and conditions. Some are more strict than others.

It is extremely rare for an insurance company to not pay out. To have a claim rejected due to tyres is unheard of.

Insurance is their to mitigate against risk, people's perception of risk varies.

There will be thousands of cars out there running on non-approved tyres, especially when it comes to the speed and load ratings.

Whilst making people aware of the need to inform your insurance company is valid, anything else is scaremongering, in my opinion.

I sleep easily at night.

• Like 1