What would owners replace their superb with?

Our Superb lease comes to an end on  9th March,  and had ordered a Karoq. A build date delay led  to me cancelling the order and have now ordered a VW Passat  GT 1.5 petrol dsg. It will be here in a week or so hopefully.

I suspect that it won't be that different  from the Superb though.

1 hour ago, Frightenedrabbit said:

Tested a one series before I ordered the Superb. Talk about overrated. The Superb is literally a different class despite being the same in lease costs. Some people won't look past the badge though. It's their loss.

That's why you can see 114i, 116d around. Some people are in for the image. 

I have driven a the 116d and 118d before as rentals and they are so so. Engine is noisy and rattly on manual 116d. Autobox on 118d helps a bit. They are just too small inside for the money. 

1 hour ago, Gross9661 said:

Our Superb lease comes to an end on  9th March,  and had ordered a Karoq. A build date delay led  to me cancelling the order and have now ordered a VW Passat  GT 1.5 petrol dsg. It will be here in a week or so hopefully.

I suspect that it won't be that different  from the Superb though.

If reviews are to be believed, it will be much quieter than the superb. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, xman said:

Passat also comes with a real full size matching Alloy spare wheel/tyre.

Yes that's true, it's got a few things that we think are better than the Superb.... digital dash is  standard on the gt as is a full glass roof......however not that keen on the look of the alloys.....positives and negatives!!!!!

On 05/03/2019 at 20:07, freelunch said:

It's not fair is right! I've never had a ride on the back seat of my car, but the other day had to ride 75 miles on the back seat of a one-series BMW, talk about claustrophobia...

Have you ever tested back seats of a Peugeot 207 CC? Then you can talk about claustrophobia... Even for driver or front passenger it's unconfortable... They've to feel / bear your "hot" breath in the neck... :o :D

I picked up my replacement Friday,

I haven't driven her much yet, mostly prepping car and installing dashcams in 2 cars on Saturday !

But loving her so far.

A couple of quick snaps at the dealers:

zqvoRgy.jpg

vS8qQXW.jpg

Edited by Mr Grump
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

I picked up my replacement Friday,

I haven't driven her much yet, mostly prepping car and installing dashcams in 2 cars on Saturday !

But loving her so far.

A couple of quick snaps at the dealers:

zqvoRgy.jpg

vS8qQXW.jpg

I really like the Stinger. I toyed with the V6 GTS bit couldn’t get a drive in one when I was looking. 

Black interior? 

A loaded L&K is going to be quite hard to upgrade from.

When the times comes (18 months or so) it will probably be a VW ID, with an estimated price of £20K OTR (including the £3.5K grant) even I would struggle to fully load one and go over £40K :giggle: (therefore keeping below the RRP of £40K to avoid the £1.550 ‘luxury car tax)

If that doesn’t take my fancy then I will probably wait until a BEV Superb comes out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Grump said:

Yes Black interior, I toyed with the idea of the grey/beige, but decided to play safe :tongueout:

I fancied the grey but IIRC the default interior colour was red and it couldn’t be changed. Red leather interiors are a bit 80’s for my liking. 

Lovely looking car though, great accomplishment from Kia; all ze Germans have had years to ‘perfect’ their offerings in the segment. Won’t be long before Kia/Hyundai are beating them at their own game. 

Enjoy :)

On 01/03/2019 at 10:19, Shhhkoda said:

Enjoying my time with the Superb but it's time for a change soon so looking at the Volvo S90, there are some excellent lease deals available under £300 per month with low deposits if you shop around.

Most deals seem to be on the Momentum, which whilst well specced is still the base model. Seriously cheap though when compared to the Superb.

Don't overlook the new V60 either.

45 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Incandescent indicator bulbs front and rear? That's a bit old tech on a brand new car...

Admittedly yes, the model up does get LEDs at the front.

But I want for not a lot inside on my "base" spec.

HUD

Heated front Seats

Heated Steering Wheel

Parking sensors front and rear

Reverse camera

Lane assist

Emergency auto braking

Electrically  8 way adjustable driver and passenger seats

USB x2 and 12v sockets in the front

USB and 12v in the rear

Adaptive Cruise control

Full leather interior

etc.

Yes LEDs would have been nice, but for £28740 OTR , I can live without :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Bit more of a thread bump... 

I was quite tempted by the v6 stinger till I found I can only run it on 99. I can't always get 99. So took a step back. Then kept seeing a stinger locally... like salt to a raw emotion.

With all the hoopla on the wltp, brexit, I fancied something, but what? Then Nick was selling his old v50T5, cheap enough to tide me over while everyone lost their minds.

On friday I dropped it off at an indy to sort a little niggle and walked back past the peugeot dealer. Like a siren from the depths, in she called. I found myself for the next 30mins sat in a 508 GT line. Thankfully their demo was out ;) 

I like it. I really like the simple spec choices too. I'd spent quite a lot of time on the skoda config tool trying to figure out specs on a octy estate 2.0 fsi... so infuriating adding one option to then have to add another, so the 400 option becomes a 610 option... ok the pug is a higher base price, but it's pretty much all I need, and for about the same price. 

I prise myself away content it's not an estate... phew saved by the practicality head demon... there is an estate version available to order... RUNAWAY Sadly the super duper top spec, is a smidge over 40k on retail. The discounts are almost nil. So saved by the fiscally responsible head demon.

I did end up in the skoda showroom looking at a l&k they are trying to give away... I'm really really torn, but the fact I'm only stuck is because y'all crucify me if I rock up in a pug ;) 

Coincidentally doing the carwow dance, it's noticeable how big the discounts ar on vag over other marques. Some of the skoda ones were over 20% off a 280/272 superb, not bad... but is it enough... I never sit in the back :D

Edited by ColinD

7 minutes ago, ColinD said:

Like a siren from the depths, in she called. I found myself for the next 30mins sat in a 508 GT line. Thankfully their demo was out ;)

I signed up for a test drive, then chickened out when the dealer called. I asked how long I could have the car. Motorway? Twisties? No, 20 minutes around the neighbourhood. And, it wasn't the First Edition model, but the GT line. I said, "No, thanks."

But what I really meant was: why should I buy a £40K+, new model French car when I've got a proven, 2.5-year-old, ultra-reliable and perfectly good car already? I mean, the Big Red Bus does the bi-weekly trip to the supermarket most of the time. The rest of the time, it's mostly parked on the street. But, it handled a 3,500 mile trip to Sicily and back with flying colours. And, it's paid for.

It's just that boyhood itch that can never be scratched.

• Like 1

Not so sure the 3.3 Stinger has to be 99, but TBH I run anything I have over 200 bhp on that anyways.

The Pug was on my list, but being tall, and the seat not being that low, meant my eyeline was the point were the glass met the roof, that ruled that out !

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, freelunch said:

But what I really meant was: why should I buy a £40K+, new model French car when I've got a proven, 2.5-year-old, ultra-reliable and perfectly good car already? I mean, the Big Red Bus does the bi-weekly trip to the supermarket most of the time. The rest of the time, it's mostly parked on the street. But, it handled a 3,500 mile trip to Sicily and back with flying colours. And, it's paid for.

This is the very thing that stops me spending my life on configurators or in showrooms. Cost of change: lots. Benefit of change: not a lot. Time to next review: fourteen months when the warranty expires or, if earlier, the point at which the Superb stops being completely reliable. So that will be fourteen months then... :)

• Like 2

• Administrators

True enough, the old volvo even with minor old age repairs is still < 100 a month, <200 if I depreciate it to zero over 12months, it will have some value in 12months, but almost not enough to actually care about. Enough to 'loose' on a deposit ;)

See the 'paid for' is the gamble. Fix your mileage, I'm not sure what that will be... I could end up doing 8k or 20k... although apparently a trick is, if you're going to keep the car, you set it to 5k to keep the GFV high, and repayments lower, or something, didn't quite understand it, finance, scares me, especially if you need to bail and your way over your limits... I like to own them, mine to break, sell as I want to, not a fan of locking in over x years at all!

But then, buy a diesel, buy a petrol, in 5years we'll still have both and anyone who uses a motorway for a significant part of there driving will still need it. ALthough I can just about make a pure electric work till I get to glasgow, then I'm on trickle charges... that means a week on Skye or Lewis won't be very productive. And a blast to the alps, painful. 

Paid for, or lease, leasing/pch or pcp in my mind feels like a gamble insurance bet on the future Pays your money makes your choice. One may lose 12k on owning said car over 2years or spend 10k renting it...

A superb or octavia estate should be the default, no brainer choice. Plenty of 1.4 superb about and I was more than happy on the launch drive (inverness to gairloch) with the superb 1.4, maybe I've forgotten that... Then again no caravans to overtake :D

My dad was an accountant. I heard all about depreciation, interest, capital, investments, bonds, blue-chip, etc, etc. The only bit I comprehended was "in the black" and "in the red" and "the house always wins".

I'm in the black. I drive a red car. The only part I really liked was the concept of changing his car every three years. That only works if you're geared to monthly payments, I think. I like cash.

As much as I'd like a new 508 or a 4-series BMW or a Mustang, the next car I buy will most likely be a hybrid, if not fully electric. So all my time on various configuration sites is just time-killing pipe-dreaming. My too wide, too long Sportline will do until then.

Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.  :D

45 minutes ago, ColinD said:

I like to own them, mine to break, sell as I want to, not a fan of locking in over x years at all!

+1. Being self-employed I really don't want fixed monthly costs that have to be paid whether I'm getting paid or not. And my mileage goes from stupid to sensible to zero depending on the latest client. So PCP / PCH really doesn't work for me. I pay cash and buy ex-demo. The thought of the hole in my bank balance is what keeps my sensible head on.

6 minutes ago, freelunch said:

My dad was an accountant. I heard all about depreciation, interest, capital, investments, bonds, blue-chip, etc, etc. The only bit I comprehended was "in the black" and "in the red" and "the house always wins".

I like your dad. But then again, I originally trained as an accountant:D.

By the bye, in a fit of dream-land / boredom last week I decided to spec up the 280TSI L&K Superb I'd have if mileage was more predictable (meaning lower) - it came in at a smidge over £40k. I then decided to check what a similarly specced 5 series might cost. I stopped when it went over £77k...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With my L&K becoming 3 years old in June, I've been considering a change of car. I no longer need all the space , on a regular basis, the Superb Estate gives, but I just love the car. With the last 2 cars having a panoramic roof, this has become something I just cannot do without now and finding a nearly new L&K with one that isn't silly money has become impossible. 

I don't use all the features of the L&K so have dropped down a notch to the SEL. There are a few out there with the options I want, but mileage a little high and I missed out on one on Monday as it was sold the previous day. 

I've considered the Passat Estate GT (or R-Line) and that's still on the possible list.

The Superb is booked in for it's next service on Friday (it will be its 3rd) and it will probably want new front tyres to pass the MOT.

Oh the dilemma 

We changed our Superb for a Passat  GT estate dsg and so far are very pleased with it.

It is , not surprisingly,  very similar to the Superp. Some things are better...full size spare alloy, panoramic roof, digital cockpit, all come as standard, but a lot of the clever little things on the Skoda are missing...brolly, ice scraper, torch in boot etc. The Skoda also had more storage in the cabin, but having said that the lease I've  taken out both are similarly priced so for me the VW represents  better value.

• Thanks 1