What would owners replace their superb with?

Well, as we were looking for the wife's car, I spotted something the other side of the showroom. I went way off my shortlist and after test driving her car, I took the leftfield choice out for a spin and after some negotiating, put a deposit on the Superb's replacement.

I hope it will be at least as good to me as the Superb :)

Edited by Mr Grump

2 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

Well, as we were looking for the wife's car, I spotted something the other side of the showroom. I went way off my shortlist and after test driving her car, I took the leftfield choice out for a spin and after some negotiating, put a deposit on the Superb's replacement.

I hope it will be at least as good to me as the Superb :)

Well, don't leave us in suspense. What are you buying?

Well its:

Slower than the 280, less legroom at the rear, less headroom at the rear, and thirstier quite likely … but this time my heart ruled:

One of these is due in a VERY short time ( my last skodas were all circa 3 months).

9c973750-fe09-4720-946f-cd76c9af48e1.jpg

Kia Stinger 2.0 T GDI-IST GT Line (2 litre turbo petrol 244HP auto with paddles RWD) in the above Panthera Metal colour.

• Like 2

@Mr Grump me thinks the 2.0 stinger should be less thirsty than a 280. I wanted the 3.3v6 but they are out of my budget so I settled for a 280. :)

With a slow 50mph running, I reckon I am only getting 32mpg max. My records for a couple tanks so far show 9.5 to 10.7km/litre so not great but I do use the power when I can. 

Well we will find out I guess, but I have a feeling the Audi lumps are more efficient.

On a nice run for hols keeping around NSL the 280 managed close on 40mpg with 2 adults, 3 kids and luggage. for the shorter runs I have been doing locally I am around the 30-32 mark.

The tight motor in the demo car was showing 29 mpg on the trip computer when I got back to the dealers after some dual carriageway and A road drives, so not a lot different possibly.

Will be interested to know that. Thinking about it, on motorways I can't help myself so I normally cruise at 75 or 80 on the speedo with some umm spirited overtaking sometimes to keep myself amused.  Trip says about 32mpg for those runs. Best ever was 34mpg on a speed limited 50mph road with a bit of 30mph roads start and finish. 

5% ish off on the trip computer as I calculated manually. 

Any reason why you didn't go for the 3.3v6? 

Enjoying my time with the Superb but it's time for a change soon so looking at the Volvo S90, there are some excellent lease deals available under £300 per month with low deposits if you shop around.

Having picked up my dad's new Prius last week (seriously good car!), the new Corolla estate has caught my eye! Excel spec with the 2 litre hybrid giving around 180bhp should be lovely! Failing that, new Rav 4 or Volvo XC60 I reckon.

3 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

I did look at the corolla, but then noticed its a CVT box … ugh no thanks !

Technically yes a CVT but not the generally understood definition of CVT (belt and pulley).  The dual motor planetary gearset of Toyota hybrids are actually very good. Reliable, smooth power delivery.

Reason is during most driving, it actually is electrically propelled at the last stage. Engine only turns one of the motors to produce current to feed the main drive motor. They have good off the line power because of instant motor torque. 

The new 10 speed Automatics from Ford are obviously mechanically different from a CVT, but basically you are in the same type thing now.

Getting economy and lower emissions so efficiency with ratios, and ready for Hybrids, then the EV's do not need the gears.

The KIa Niro hybrid 6 speed Dual Clutch Auto was fun to use.  But when using in a spirited manner obviously economy suffers, 

but not as much as if it was just a 134bhp petrol auto, DSG / DCT or CVT.

I really like the Subaru Lineartronics / CVT's. 

But then i liked  my Volvo 340/343, Fiat Punto Speedgear & Toyota iQ's CVT's.

Edited by Skoffski

11 hours ago, Goblin said:

Having picked up my dad's new Prius last week (seriously good car!), the new Corolla estate has caught my eye! Excel spec with the 2 litre hybrid giving around 180bhp should be lovely! Failing that, new Rav 4 or Volvo XC60 I reckon.

I looked at the Corolla the other week. The dealer only had the hatch and I'd wanted to see the Estate version. I'm told the rear seat legroom is much improved in the Estate, but there was bugger all in the hatch! Mind you, everything is small compared to the Skoda.

4 hours ago, Mr Grump said:

Still does the foot down instant high revs staying the same as speed increases thing though.

It does that because the engine is revved to produced the max power to mg1 that then produces electricity for mg2 to drive the car.  Sounds similar to a belt CVT but mechanically it's very different.  That is actually the most efficient way and is the reason why we see more and more gears on auto trans nowadays

1 hour ago, jstallan said:

I looked at the Corolla the other week. The dealer only had the hatch and I'd wanted to see the Estate version. I'm told the rear seat legroom is much improved in the Estate, but there was bugger all in the hatch! Mind you, everything is small compared to the Skoda.

It's not fair to compare almost anything to a superb on rear leg room. You been spoiled!

• Like 3

It's not fair is right! I've never had a ride on the back seat of my car, but the other day had to ride 75 miles on the back seat of a one-series BMW, talk about claustrophobia...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

It's not fair is right! I've never had a ride on the back seat of my car, but the other day had to ride 75 miles on the back seat of a one-series BMW, talk about claustrophobia...

Possibly one of the worse cars for rear room lol! 

13 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

Possibly one of the worse cars for rear room lol! 

Might improve *a little* when they start producing a FWD version. 

Agreed though, horribly small in the back...actually the front seats aren’t exactly palatial either 

I don't know about the back seats but I certainly found the front seats uncomfortable. I think they must have been sports seats and they were gripping me so much I couldn't breathe.

21 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I don't know about the back seats but I certainly found the front seats uncomfortable.

I have the SEL with electric drivers sear in leather. Too many adjustments and the poorly designed controls are extremely difficult to work out what does what when sat in the car.

Press this, Push/pull that, turn that, ..

Always had problems with "lumbar adjustment” in VAG cars, either can't tell what it does at all or it feels like pushing a brick into my back.

The superb SELseats lack shape and support and the visual design of the leather seats are dull. Diamond stitching with some contrasting colour would be a lot nicer. But won't be buying leather again.

Velour would be my choice if it were available 

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

I have the SEL with electric drivers sear in leather. Too many adjustments and the poorly designed controls are extremely difficult to work out what does what when sat in the car.

Press this, Push/pull that, turn that, ..

Always had problems with "lumbar adjustment” in VAG cars, either can't tell what it does at all or it feels like pushing a brick into my back.

The superb SELseats lack shape and support and the visual design of the leather seats are dull. Diamond stitching with some contrasting colour would be a lot nicer. But won't be buying leather again.

Velour would be my choice if it were available 

One of the reasons I bought a sportline over an SE-L. Not helped that the SE-L doesn't have rear heated seats too. Front is heated but by the time it heats up nicely, it would be the same time as me sitting in the fabric sportline seats not feeling cold at all. 

Leather seats are also slippy and I'm hot weather not very nice at all.

4 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

One of the reasons I bought a sportline over an SE-L. Not helped that the SE-L doesn't have rear heated seats too. Front is heated but by the time it heats up nicely, it would be the same time as me sitting in the fabric sportline seats not feeling cold at all. 

Leather seats are also slippy and I'm hot weather not very nice at all.

Tested a one series before I ordered the Superb. Talk about overrated. The Superb is literally a different class despite being the same in lease costs. Some people won't look past the badge though. It's their loss.

If  I was to replace my current Superb for whatever reason, another one would take its place ASAP.

Though it would be a Sportline in Dragon Skin Green.

Either that, or a Golf R variant.