So I went and bought a Jaaaag

I dun a neuw photie. The car had just driven 200 miles and not been washed, as the detailer recommended leaving it a few days first. If only I could have taken photos on the day he did the car It does look a bit better if you click on the image rather than just view it in the web page.                                                           Excited Wake Up GIF by Nickelodeon

M3 Beamish.jpg

Edited by Lady Elanore
  • Like 1
  • Love it! 2

ive just seen something in that pic of the front end id not seen previously that i will now never unsee. 

and im not saying what it is, to preserve the dignity of the car.

and its a tad annoying as i was going to say its growing on me a bit more, and the plate breaks the grill up enough thats its less massive looking.

1 hour ago, mac11irl said:

ive just seen something in that pic of the front end id not seen previously that i will now never unsee. 

and im not saying what it is, to preserve the dignity of the car.

The incredibly excessive toe-in? 🙄

G

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

question not about an m3...

i was behind a 2021 218i today. looked tidy, vibrant colour. did a reg check on it out of curiosity and....

it was a m sport, but was only a 1.5???

since when did BMW stop using the displacement as the badge id?? i assumed prior to checking it was a 1.8, but engine capacity is listed as 1499cc. i know audi have been playing silly beggars for a while now with the 4.0 etc that are only 2litre diesels, but i thought beemer still had more more integrity than that.

11 hours ago, mac11irl said:

jaysus i missed that press release so :D

why lie on the badges though? its just a bit ****e...

I agree re the lying but but it's all to do with downsizing according to BMW...

Given most are turbo'd engines the last two numbers on the cars designation are supposed to give an 'equivalent' naturally aspirated size - or that's what they suggested initially when they changed, but now it's more a rough 'power band' - a bit like Audi use - and allows them to designate the same engine in different states of tune by different numbers.

Edited by skomaz

• 2 weeks later...

I think they stopped at least 35 years ago or so. I have a colleague with a '318i E30' and it was a 1.8 litre just like the '316'. The difference in the numbers signified the drop in power that the 316 (not injected) had when compared to the 318i. It sort of makes sense I suppose. They've been doing it with nearly all cars since ( I had the 3.0 litre M135, which gained a little more power and was reborn as the M140 etc). I think it's why Audi seem to have gone to just going ascending numbers to many of their cars when they want to denote more power or a larger engine. 

My 123D was a 2 litre (roughly 14 years ago), but as it produced 200+bhp it gained the bigger number to differentiate it from the 120D (it was also the first mass production diesel car that broke the 100bhp/ton :) ) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well there's a surprise, a car that is less attractive than the new m4 :D 

BMW M2 front right trackingNew 2023 BMW M2 arrives with 454bhp and manual option | Autocar

The All-New 2023 BMW M2 - An Ode to M cars Of The Past - BimmerFile

New 2023 BMW M2 arrives with 454bhp and manual option | Autocar

The New 2023 BMW M2 Looks Super and Shoddy Simultaneously | The Drive

To be fair to the car, it does seem to be colour dependant, but it does look like a Dimma kit from the 80s :D Overall though, it's a poor show compared to the rather smart RS3 saloon and Mercedes A45 CLA. I'm sure it will drive well, BMW are on a bit of a roll in that regard at the moment, but honestly, I'd rather take the 240 Xdrive, at least on appearance. The old M4 looked lovely, the new one looks like a weird Mustang and similarly the old M2 looked quite aggressive and 'terrier' like, the new one looks like... well, the dog's dinner that the terrier ate. 

BMW M2 front right tracking

• Like 2

The front end / grille has been nicked from a Dodge SUV and squashed...   as for the back it seems to be off a previous gen Civic R.

Horrid regardless and very, very poor design (in fact I wouldn't even call it 'designed...'

But then Domagoj Dukec has said in the past he doesn't really care what people think of his designs...   so he clearly holds his customer base in high regard - NOT!

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 3

The rear looks horrendous and I've looked at different colours too, it doesn't get better. Funnily enough it's the rear of my M3 I don't like either, too much plastic moulded shapes and protrusions, the front however I like (M3, not M2). But BMW has really lost the plot with the new M2 imho, it looks awful and not in a good way like the original flame surfaced 1 series. At least there was design language on show, the new M2 just has junior school fantasy bodykit mouldings on view. It's the fact it looks so cheap that I think is a mistake, it had better drive well to be forgiven. 

• Like 1

its almoat like they took the feedback on the massive m3 grill to heart and said " well fine, if you dont like that, then we wont do it again... here take THIS instead, is it small enough for ye fussy feckers?"

Edited by mac11irl
  • Haha 2