Kessy questions

I have had my sportline for nearly two weeks now but seem to be hit or miss with the kessy.  Now when I touch the door handle it takes 3 goes to get it to unlock the door.. it seemed to be working fine at first, but not anymore.  Also when I start the car it's coming up with guest, when I change to my name it changes the seat etc.. how can I set a default user?  I have only been using one key so far.

Thanks

the kessy will automatically adjust the settings based on the key that is used to open the door, or in the vicinity when u touch the door handle.

have u gone in to the personalisation setting and assgined to a key?

as for the 3 goes to unlock the car via touch - sumtin not right there.   mine works all the time, everytime.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 2

Kessy works fine for me when unlocking or unlocking the doors if the key is in my pocket with nothing else in there, but sometimes if I have other keys, change, my wallet, etc (such as in a jacket pocket), it doesn't always work first time unless I take the key out of my pocket.  I assume all the other items around it block the signal?

• Like 1

Kessy works every time on mine now. First few days I didn't quite have the hang of it.

When using  to unlock just pull the handle as normal as if you were opening an unlocked car door, when locking touch the outside of the handle. I am sure you know but a quick visual check if you have locked correctly is wing mirrors folding in.

• Like 1

Agree, it's just technique - which becomes natural pretty quickly.

However, if you do lock mine using the button on the fob, the next time you come to open it KESSY doesn't work. It has to be then unlocked with the fob too.

So, SWMBO often locks it the old way and then when I use it I get caught out.

• Like 1

Cheers, I have disabled the user menu as it's not something we would use.. will keep trying the kessy.. it did seem better when I hand the keys actually in my other hand today..

On 15/06/2018 at 10:38, camelspyyder said:

However, if you do lock mine using the button on the fob, the next time you come to open it KESSY doesn't work. It has to be then unlocked with the fob too.

That’s different behaviour to mine and a friend’s car. Ours are happy to be unlocked via KESSY even if locked by the fob button.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 19:38, camelspyyder said:

if urs is requiring a keyfob press everytime u go to unlock either something is wrong - or ur inadvertently activating the safety feature.

normal behaviour is as @Ivan8192 pointed out above.

the Superb has a "safety feature" where if u lock with KESSY (touch) + key press combo, the car is then deadlocked and cannot be unlocked unless u press the unlock button on the key fob.

i.e. u cannot use KESSY to unlock the car.  

the idea of this feature is to give ovners some relief against cars being stolen using interceptor/relay devices.

Steps to activate this:-

1. lock using door handle (KESSY)

2. press lock button on keyfob.

The car is now "deadlocked".  

To unlock, u MUST press the unlock button on the keyfob.  u cannot open via KESSY method.

This is not to be confused with the other "deadlock" feature, which is activated by pressing the lock button on the keyfob twice.  This other deadlock feature is:-

- first click to lock = car is deadlocked. i.e. u can't open the doors from the inside after the car is locked.

- second click to lock = car is locked, but not deadlocked. i.e. u can open the doors from the inside.

otherwise, it doesn't matter how u lock the car - u should b able to open with either method.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JR RS said:

Steps to activate this:-

1. lock using door handle (KESSY)

2. press lock button on keyfob.

The car is now "deadlocked".  

To unlock, u MUST press the unlock button on the keyfob.  u cannot open via KESSY method.

i know completely another instruction to deactivate KESSY
1. press lock button on key fob.
2. touch door handle for few seconds.

p.s.
would be happy to able test method, lock by key fob = KESSY deactivated

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

p.s.

my apologies - ur correct :)  key then touch.

i got my sequence reversed.

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 1

On 14/6/2018 at 21:36, technics100 said:

I have had my sportline for nearly two weeks now but seem to be hit or miss with the kessy.  Now when I touch the door handle it takes 3 goes to get it to unlock the door.. it seemed to be working fine at first, but not anymore.  Also when I start the car it's coming up with guest, when I change to my name it changes the seat etc.. how can I set a default user?  I have only been using one key so far.

Thanks

Check the behaviour with the other keys, make sure only the one key is in the vicinity of the vehicle. If the other keys work more like expected then you may have a faulty key fob or a weak battery (I know it is just two weeks old but its possible). Also I believe there is a separate pick up on each of the front doors and boot, if the other doors work more like expected you may have an issue with the drivers side one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 12:38, camelspyyder said:

if you do lock mine using the button on the fob, the next time you come to open it KESSY doesn't work. It has to be then unlocked with the fob too.

what car?

interested on add same feature to Superb III

Hi @technics100 - not sure if you have this sorted now, but it sounds like there may be two different things going on. Firstly, my MY17 car has never had a problem of not opening first time on KESSY, so if this is a regular thing it sounds like it might be a fault. FYI I carry my keys in my pocket, together with change and house keys, so that shouldn't be interfering. One thing I have noticed though is that if both front doors are opened at the same time (SWMBO and me grabbing the driver and front passenger handles at the same time) it can get a bit confused and require me to try again. If I had to guess I think it recognised her unlocking the car from the passenger side, and me a split second later putting my hand on the outside of the door and locking it again when I was actually trying to unlock it. It's only happened once though in six months of ownership.

The second part is about personalisation. I had a similar problem at the start (it recognised me as "guest" and I had to choose my profile using the scroll wheel). I fixed this by manually assigning the key to the profile. It's been a while, but from memory I went to "Car - Settings - Personalisation". In that menu you have an option for manual or automatic recognition - set it to manual. In the same screen there is the option to assign current key to profile. Press on this and it will ask you to press the unlock button on the fob. Once done it will tell you the assignment has been done. I did this (keep all other keys well out of range of the car while you are doing it) separately for my fob and my wife's . Now it recognises each of us separately from our fobs, your profile name will appear in the centre of the maxi-dot automatically and the seat settings (and the radio / media music source you were listening to the last time you drove it) are set for you before you sit down.  

It seems to be better now.. things I have noticed.  

1.    When unlocking I have to grab the handle, I think it’s a bit of user error as I would grab and here a click but the mirrors wouldn’t fold so I would let go too soon. now I just hold for slightly longer. 

2.    When locking I just touch the outside of the handle with the outside of my hand, this works nearly everytime.

Does that sound right?  I did notice that when washing the car it keep locking and unlocking when I washed the door handles with the keys in my pockets..

I have just turned off the personalisation, as it’s not something we use.. we just use the one key.. and My wife is taller than me, so she just adjusts the rear view mirror and leaves the seat alone..

The buttons on the Kessy can easily be pressed by accident when it is in a tight pocket so unlocking/locking is easily done. I've even had the boot lid open when the keys are in a pocket when stood quite a distance away from the car. So I refrain from putting the key into a tight pocket and don't get the problem anymore.

When washing the car by hand if you have the virtual pedal it is also easy to open the boot by mistake. There is a setting in the infotainment to switch virtual pedal off - I think it is called courtesy opening or something.

I have never had a problem with unlocking by touching the inside of the handle by grabbing it and locking the doors by pressing the area at the depression on the handle - that's actually the sensor to lock. There is a very minor delay - about a second or so - after unlocking the door before the mirrors come out. The only thing is you have to have Kessy on your person so the car can sense it.

Edited by TerryMcK

Unlock by placing the hand inside the handle and then pull as normal

Lock by touching the small button/sensor at the left hand end of the handle. I do mine with a finger swipe as I leave.

I learnt this the embarrassing way after taking my original my15 S3 back to the dealer as I thought the system wasn't working. Tech reported ' operator requires further instruction' with a few huge smileys of course

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

The buttons on the Kessy can easily be pressed by accident when it is in a tight pocket so unlocking/locking is easily done. 

I can confirm this - including opening the boot - while jet-washing the car... It's a mistake you only make once.:sadsmile:

9 minutes ago, Sagalout said:

Lock by touching the small button/sensor at the left hand end of the handle. I do mine with a finger swipe as I leave.

I learnt this the embarrassing way after taking my original my15 S3 back to the dealer as I thought the system wasn't working. Tech reported ' operator requires further instruction' with a few huge smileys of course

I remember a rather embarrassing 5 minutes on pick-up day at the dealer after the salesman had handed over the keys and walked off. I was waving my hand frantically at the door, begging it to lock. Another once-only mistake, but I swear to this day I could hear the salesman hiding round the corner laughing his head off and clapping like a chimp...:D

• 2 years later...
On 18/06/2018 at 08:04, MartiniB said:

p.s.

Hi,

how long is "few seconds"? I just bought MY2017 2.0tsi Sportline and in my country si kinda common to steal cars with kessy parked outside big cities. I tried touch-then-key and key-then-touch to disable kessy but Im doing obviously something wrong.

thx

1 minute ago, MartiniB said:

count to four and touch door handle from outside

You wrote “touch door handle for few seconds”. I tried to touch it right after button, 5/10/15 seconds after button.

My point is, from you answer, if swipe is nit enought and I should “press” the door handle for like 3 seconds or what

@Goauld

for my understanding it can't be touched too long, but count to four must be enough

by default my 2016.02 Superb came without KESSY deactivation feature,
dealer upgraded firmware after my request

5 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Goauld

for my understanding it can't be touched too long, but count to four must be enough

by default my 2016.02 Superb came without KESSY deactivation feature,
dealer upgraded firmware after my request

Can you, might, find the code for the upgrade? Im going to the dealership anyway next week, so I will ask for an upgrade if thats my case too

i'm not sure, any of these can be related

---------------------------------------------------------------
42 Driver Door (Left)

_ _ System description: TSG FS 
_ _ Software number: 5Q0959593E 
_ _ Software version: 0041
_ _ Hardware number: 5Q0959593B 
_ _ Hardware version: 020
_ _ Serial number: 060116EAxxxxxx
_ _ ODX name: EV_DCUDriveSideEWMAXKLO
_ _ ODX version: 006003
_ _ Long coding: 001D0820DE00048000001100

_ _ Subsystems: 
_ _ _ _ System description: FOND_FHSG_DRV
_ _ _ _ Software version: 0005
_ _ _ _ Hardware version: 005
_ _ _ _ Serial number: 00000000000008805778
_ _ _ _ Long coding: 110200

52 Passenger Door

_ _ System description: TSG BFS
_ _ Software number: 5Q0959592E 
_ _ Software version: 0041
_ _ Hardware number: 5Q0959592B 
_ _ Hardware version: 020
_ _ Serial number: 191215ELxxxxxx
_ _ ODX name: EV_DCUPasseSideEWMAXKLO
_ _ ODX version: 006003
_ _ Long coding: 001D0220DE00048000001100

_ _ Subsystems: 
_ _ _ _ System description: FOND_FHSG_PSG
_ _ _ _ Software version: 0005
_ _ _ _ Hardware version: 005
_ _ _ _ Serial number: 00000000000008782878
_ _ _ _ Long coding: 090200

B7 Start System Interface

_ _ System description: VWKESSYMQB   
_ _ Software number: 3Q0959435G 
_ _ Software version: 0906
_ _ Hardware number: 3Q0959435C 
_ _ Hardware version: 036
_ _ Serial number: 0393xxxxxx
_ _ ODX name: EV_KessyHellaMQBAB
_ _ ODX version: 004041
_ _ Long coding: 032C0C070F

If you’re worried about theft then why not get a faraday pouch for each key?

I can confirm these ones work - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Key-Signal-Blocker-Case-Pouch-Bag-Black-Faraday-Cage-Keyless-RFID-Blocking-/323930080115?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

they come with a small keychain to keep the key fob on and two internal pockets. The innermost one blocks the signals and the outer one doesn’t.

Easy to keep the key in the blocking pouch at home and when leaving the car parked up then just swap it into the other pouch when going back to the car.

I keep it in my pocket when driving and don’t have any issues with the system not seeing the key or unlocking first time unless I forget to move it from the blocking pouch!

Edited by SkudMissile21
  • Like 1